IGNORED

Optimal Streaming Settings Via a MacBook Computer?

I'm still very new to streaming my music and when I read many of the posts here, it seems like a different language is being spoken. O.o

I'm currently streaming from a MacBook Air using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable into my integrated amp.

What I'm interested in, is learning is if there might be optimal setting(s) to use on my Mac in order to get the best quality sound I can out of this setup. This computer is exclusively used for streaming music through my stereo system and nothing else.

how did the music get on your mac?  did you rip CDs?

or if downloaded, what bit rate & depth is it?  i.e. did they tell you 24/96 or what?

besides settings, many have put different power supplies on their minis... but save that for later while being ware that there are numerous other options out there

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

besides settings, many have put different power supplies on their minis... but save that for later while being ware that there are numerous other options out there

The OP is using a laptop. You are pretty much stuck with the stock SMPS. You can put the power adapter on a lamp timer to isolate it from the AC line, and run the laptop from the battery, but that's only good for a few hours a day, and the SQ improvement is minimal, at best.

34 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

...This computer is exclusively used for streaming music through my stereo system and nothing else.

I missed the title and the above threw me off.  Later, you might sell the laptop and buy a mini...

anyway, answer the above queries so people can help you set it up

also, are you using iTunes?

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

how did the music get on your mac?  did you rip CDs?

or if downloaded, what bit rate & depth is it?  i.e. did they tell you 24/96 or what?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The music I'm streaming is from Spotify Premium, not files I have stored on my computer.

I also play CDs on my Rega Apollo R.

I had Tidal HiFi for a number of months and the sound quality was better, but the musical choices just weren't there for me and that's why I switched to Spotify. 

I was thinking that there might be a way to adjust the settings on my Mac in order to squeeze the best quality sound I can from this computer.

5 hours ago, Route 66 said:

I'm still very new to streaming my music and when I read many of the posts here, it seems like a different language is being spoken. O.o

I'm currently streaming from a MacBook Air using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable into my integrated amp.

What I'm interested in, is learning is if there might be optimal setting(s) to use on my Mac in order to get the best quality sound I can out of this setup. This computer is exclusively used for streaming music through my stereo system and nothing else.

Did you think about HQ Player?

2 hours ago, jventer said:

I use Spotify Premium all the time. 

What I understand from your post is that you have a Macbook connected with a usb cable to a dac/cdplayer.

Spotify Premium  IMO is not that good that you have to worry about anything, just enjoy

Yes, my integrated amp has a built-in DAC that I use for Spotify and my CD player also has its own  DAC.

10 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

Thanks, I don't know what an HQ player is, but I'll try Googling it.

HQPlayer is an audio app for playing PCM and DSD files. You have to purchase a license to use it.

It is designed to upsample PCM to higher sample rates and/or transcode to DSD, if your DAC supports that.

The SQ is great, but, for your purposes, not appropriate.

What you should do to optimize your setup is simply turn off all the System Preferences on the computer that you are not using, like Screen Saver, Spotlight, Notifications, Energy Saver, Bluetooth, Time Machine, etc. Quit all background apps, and delete their icons from the Dock.

2 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

HQPlayer is an audio app for playing PCM and DSD files. You have to purchase a license to use it.

It is designed to upsample PCM to higher sample rates and/or transcode to DSD, if your DAC supports that.

What you should do to optimize your setup is simply turn off all the System Preferences on the computer that you are not using, like Screen Saver, Spotlight, Notifications, Energy Saver, Bluetooth, Time Machine, etc. Quit all background apps, and delete their icons from the Dock.

I'm really in over my head here. PCM? DSD? SQ? Transcode? :o

As for your last paragraph, these all seem like great suggestions and I'll get started on them in a while. Thank!

2 hours ago, Route 66 said:

I'm really in over my head here. PCM? DSD? SQ? Transcode? :o

As for your last paragraph, these all seem like great suggestions and I'll get started on them in a while. Thank!

Nothing really complicated. You will gain knowledge on this very fast if you will be interested. HQPlayer is able to increase a sample rate of PCM music files during playback, or convert from PCM formats, such as FLAC to DSD. Conversion uses transcoding or upsampling. Many believe it increases SQ (sound quality). Just think about digital photography - the more pixels you have, the better picture you get - less artifacts visible, and so on. One may need DAC which supports DSD to use HQPlayer fully.

2 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

OP is looking for a better quality sound and he came to CA forum which dedicated to discussions on this issue and others. It may happen, tomorrow he will start looking for lossless streaming service, day after tomorrow for better software (HQPlayer is a great option here) and may consider hardware upgrades too. At least, it is quite possible.

5 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

I've heard the screen driver is an issue for SQ.

Thoughts on that for him?

27 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I've heard the screen driver is an issue for SQ.

Thoughts on that for him?

Laptops get disparaged a lot for computer audio. The power supply, the screen, etc. It is what it is. For me, it is super-easy and convenient.

Of course, there are a multitude of methods to improve SQ. You can take it as far as you wish...or not. It's always interesting to discuss the possibilities, but, at some point, you need to get over the upgrade-itis, and start enjoying what you have.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

PCM = pulse code modulation; it is a way to encode music digitally; used for CDs (see "Redbook")

DSD = Direct Stream Digital, a digital encoding scheme used for SACDs

SQ - sound quality

digital audio can be a steep learning curve, but Gloggle can help

Thank You!!

I love forums, but a problem is that we all have our own  views and sometimes we get sidetracked.

@ Route 66 stated that he/she tried Tidal, but for certain reasons  is now using Spotify. 

So what is the situation:

• Mac
  • Spotify Premium
  • Integrated Amp and Dac
  •  

What is the question: What can be done to the settings in the Mac to make themusic better?

Quick answer: leave as is and enjoy.

Long answer:

The best streaming options include an option like Tidal that can offer streaming at 1,411 kbps

There are music players like Audirvana that provides the option to stream Tidal via the app

Audirvana, for example, has setting to optimise the mac for music playback

However, Spotify Premium, whilst nice , is only streaming at 320 kbps. 

The question and answer now moves into another area - at 320kbps what would the audible differences of computer and hardware changes be?

IMO - I just use Spotify Premium and enjoy as is. (If I want "better" I play CD's or ripped flac files - which is my primary mode of listening).

Whilst I dont know if this will result in better sound from Spotify Premium, you could try:

• switch off certain processes on the mac, e.g. Spotlight.
  • Google and find ways to play Spotify througfh music players like Jriver, Audrivana etc.

Life and hifi is a journey, enjoiy

2 hours ago, jventer said:

@ Route 66

When playing tidal the files will be better, but you may still wish to optimise your mac. Check out Audirvana for example.

Thanks. 

I just visited the Audirvana website and I see that they have a 15 day free trial. I'm certainly going to give it a try. 

2 hours ago, Route 66 said:

Thanks. 

I just visited the Audirvana website and I see that they have a 15 day free trial. I'm certainly going to give it a try. 

If you will try Audirvana I would suggest to try HQPlayer for comparison as well. I've been using both players for years, but not Audirvana anymore. A+ is more simple to use, HQP gives better sound and sound options, but all this is a question of personal choice.

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

If you will try Audirvana I would suggest to try HQPlayer for comparison as well. I've been using both players for years, but not Audirvana anymore. A+ is more simple to use, HQP gives better sound and sound options, but all this is a question of personal choice.

HQPlayer doesn't seem to have a free trial and I'm leery about just jumping in and purchasing something I don't know that I'll like. I tried doing a search for A+, but I'm not finding that one.