IGNORED

More Disruptive Schiit (Vidar)

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Well, I didn’t even bother unpacking the second Vidar and sent it back to Schiit. 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms is WAY MORE than enough power for the Tekton Design Double Impact speakers as they are quite efficient . Especially when you factor in the gain from using the tube stage with Freya.

Vidar is dual mono back to the transformer. Power used by one channel does not affect power used by the other. So there really is no significant advantage to running two Vidar amps other than it is cool. The downsides to running two Vidar amps include more tube noise and less granularity in the volume control.

These speakers sound great and I haven’t even played around with room placement or toe-in yet. I can’t wait to hear how good they sound after 200 hours and I get them placed properly.

IMG_1373.thumb.JPG.59d5cf9a57bb24846859e341c13386f1.JPG

Unless you want to go balanced in.  I'm stuck on that one.

On another note, how quiet is your Topaz?

26 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Unless you want to go balanced in.  I'm stuck on that one.

On another note, how quiet is your Topaz?

I thought being balanced would be a big deal. Jason said it's not and, so far, he has proven correct.

The Topaz makes some noise. I can't hear it from the listening position with the room quiet. I can hear it if I stand near the rack. In other words, It's more than quiet enough. I am going to make a nice wood cover for it. I could put sound reading material inside.

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wattage is a funny thing though. My Pass Labs XA160.5 amps could level my block and heat the house simultaneously. Other amps with much more wattage, can't even drive my speakers satisfactorily. 

Agreed, Chris. And those Pass 160.5's can truly heat a small home. A friend of mine owns them, and his wife, who is Philipino and loves warmth, often goes and lies down near his amps, with a pillow, when he has them on during the fall and winter!.

JC

2 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

You can use two Vidar amps in monoblock mode with 4 ohm speakers. You just can't drive them super loud for long periods of time.

From the FAQ again:

Same for 4 ohms when running monoblocks?
Yes. Again, Vidar will probably work fine at sane volumes, but at higher output, you may trigger the protection. 

So what happens if I have 2 ohm speakers? You didn’t rate Vidar for 2 ohms.

No, we didn’t. Because speakers that are rated below 4 ohms are pretty rare. The bottom line is that Vidar will run 2 ohm speakers, but it may run into its protection and turn itself off. 

Same for 4 ohms when running monoblocks?

Yes. Again, Vidar will probably work fine at sane volumes, but at higher output, you may trigger the protection. 

So I'd guess it depends of if you listen loud, and your comfort level with an amp that may turn itself off occasionally.

I guess someone with 2 or 4 ohm speakers could use the trial period and make a decision.

Chris- You could do everyone a service and review these running your 4 ohm TAD speakers and see if it is really an issue or just a mostly theoretical one. Also comparing in running such speakers in stereo/mono configuration would be a useful bit of information for potential buyers. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I did my own chip amp design some years ago, only 60W devices, but I made sure the power supplies were top notch for the job. These could pump out Big Sound, but they had internal protection which made nasty noises, or shut down, if you cooked them too much - in spite of the fact that the heartsinking used in this instance was quite robust - the point relevant here is that heavy duty rock at pounding volumes, and similar stuff, was never a problem; what triggered the protection was female operatic voices. They could hit a high note, with full vocal force, and hold it - this is getting mighty close to running some sine wave test signals through the amp, and pushed the temperature too high for the part.

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can't wait to hear these things. 

My TAD CR1s are 4 ohms. I guess that rules out using two Vidars, due to the 8 ohm limit on a mono pair. Using a single Vidar, I have to use single ended RCA cables. Not a deal breaker, but less than desirable. 

Anyone know if a single Vidar is going to be enough to power the CR1s?

Did you consider bi-amping the CR1?

you can still try two Vidars with the 2 sets of RCA outputs on the Freya. 

Reviews are greatly welcomed!

Thank you,

Jorge

p.s. please post also some pics

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Sorry Guys, I forgot to ask you.

Is there a dealer in NY where I could listen to the Vidars?

Tks,

Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Very feng shui guys.  You aren't getting any sound improvements from those crystals.  Sorry.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Shiit test, but need to wait until I get back from a backpacking trip.  At that time I'll also have my Hynes SR7 and ISO Regen in hand.  My new VPI Prime arrives tomorrow.  Good times coming.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, Speed Racer said:

Well, I didn’t even bother unpacking the second Vidar and sent it back to Schiit. 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms is WAY MORE than enough power for the Tekton Design Double Impact speakers as they are quite efficient . Especially when you factor in the gain from using the tube stage with Freya.

Vidar is dual mono back to the transformer. Power used by one channel does not affect power used by the other. So there really is no significant advantage to running two Vidar amps other than it is cool. The downsides to running two Vidar amps include more tube noise and less granularity in the volume control.

These speakers sound great and I haven’t even played around with room placement or toe-in yet. I can’t wait to hear how good they sound after 200 hours and I get them placed properly.

IMG_1373.thumb.JPG.59d5cf9a57bb24846859e341c13386f1.JPG

That;s an outstanding system you have put together and is very likely one of the best systems, dollar for dollar that could be assembled. Congrats.

JC 

On 7/20/2017 at 4:10 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I heard back from Schiit about my review proposal. They are onboard, but I will have to get in line behind the paying customers. What a great company. Make those of us in the industry wait behind people who spent their hard earned money. Schitt has its priorities in the right order. I love that. 

I'm kind of expecting the new amps to have a Peachtree type sound which is outstanding for mid level gear.