IGNORED

Great New Schiit (USB Gen 5 upgrade and Eitr)

I used 3 different Macs, always with 10.11, Jriver and Dirac Live.
As I wrote more on, with gen 3 everything ok, while with Gen 5 Jriver works
without Dirac , with Dirac not.
But my question is: how can a hardware update be incompatible? the upgrade should be perfectly retrocompatible ??
And why does the software that works with gen 3, with gen5, can not work?

@liborio99 ... I would say that if you are based in Europe then that is where it should be returned for service. TBH, I wasn't aware that by installing the Gen5 board yourself it invalidates the warranty ... another good reason why I don't do upgrades myself to audio gear, and especially as I personally am not an 'experienced electronics technician'.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

On 11/16/2017 at 9:25 AM, liborio99 said:

I used 3 different Macs, always with 10.11, Jriver and Dirac Live.
As I wrote more on, with gen 3 everything ok, while with Gen 5 Jriver works
without Dirac , with Dirac not.
But my question is: how can a hardware update be incompatible? the upgrade should be perfectly retrocompatible ??
And why does the software that works with gen 3, with gen5, can not work?

Standards evolve... options that didn't exist when  the gen3 was created may have evolved since and been implemented with the gen5. All manufacturers test for backwards compatibility but with so many manufacturers that usually means testing only with the most common products. There are also no guarantees that a manufacturer who coded only to the older standard didn't "step" on the newer additions to the standard with their product... it was free territory at the time they coded.

The question to ask yourself is whether  the problem exists if you remove Dirac... if it does then the conversation is with Schitt and Apple. If it only exists when Dirac is installed, odds favor Dirac needs to get their hands on an Eitr and patch their software.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Standards evolve... options that didn't exist when  the gen3 was created may have evolved since and been implemented with the gen5. All manufacturers test for backwards compatibility but with so many manufacturers that usually means testing only with the most common products. There are also no guarantees that a manufacturer who coded only to the older standard didn't "step" on the newer additions to the standard with their product... it was free territory at the time they coded.

The question to ask yourself is whether  the problem exists if you remove Dirac... if it does then the conversation is with Schitt and Apple. If it only exists when Dirac is installed, odds favor Dirac needs to get their hands on an Eitr and patch their software.

Actually, I just noticed that you say JRiver works without Dirac, so in a way you have partially taken this step... the issue is very unlikely to be between Apple solution and the Gen5. However, Jriver is a 3rd party software with its own set of complexities. Can Dirac be used with the native iTunes app and if so does this combination work with the Gen5?  Need to rule out that this is a unique issue with combined use of JRiver and Dirac

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 months later...

Will this new Gen5 USB board OR just an EITR fix my problem:

My original delta-sigma Gungnir first stopped being recognized by my Mac Mini-Schiit then  suggested I use powered USB hub(which I never used before) and the Gungnir was recognized BUT... instead of showing up to 24/176.4 or 24/192 on say A+3 and Audio MIDI it ONLY shows 16/48 nothing more yet with my ME2 or AQ DFR they show up to 24/192 or 24/96 respectfully( these 2 DACs are plugged directly into the Mac's USB ports). 

I say there something very wrong(all of a sudden) with the Gungnir USB board-do all of you agree? And why did this happen after years of flawless service?

SQ is still excellent to my ears but... am I missing something SQ wise?

bobbmd

• 1 month later...

I am currently using a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 as my USB interface leading to a Bifrost Multibit (purchased before Schiit made the Gen 5 USB standard). (On an iMac; High Sierra.)

Would the Gen 5 board or the stand-alone EITR provide any advantages over the V-Link 192 (now discontinued)? I am not tech saavy enough to answer this question for myself, unfortunately. I don't necessarily want to upgrade unless it might make some kind SQ improvement.

One difference I can see is that the EITR requires a power supply (V-Link does not). Also, EITR doesn't specifically mention 192 (I listen to a lot of 24/192 files) but does say it  has "precision clock sources for both 44.1 and 48kHz multiples". Is this another way of saying that it will handle 192? (4 x 48 = 192)

@Schiit or at anyone else who might have thoughts or an opinion.

Thanks!

Here are the specs for the V-Link 192: 

Capability

• Input data: 24 Bit 192kHz USB stream (maximum)
  • Output Impedance: 50 Ohm SPDIF
  • Operating Systems: Apple Macintosh Apple OS X 10.6.4 and later, Windows XP (SP3), Vista, and 7, Linux Kernel 2.6.33 or later

Inputs

• 1x USB 2.0 Type B

Outputs

• 1x Coaxial SPDIF galvanically isolated
  • 1x XLR AES/EBU Balanced Digital, galvanically isolated

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

4 hours ago, liborio99 said:

from the specifications that you write your Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 already has the USB galvanically isolated.

Yes. That's why I am wondering if getting an EITR or Gen 5 USB upgrade to my Bifrost would provide any SQ benefits.

The practical benefit of getting the Gen 5 USB upgrade is that there would be one less box on my desk (I could get rid of the V-Link). But I would also then need to also invest in a new 6 foot USB cable to go from my computer to the Bifrost. (The V-Link is currently connected to the Bifrost via coax cable.)

Sorry, I am kind of clueless on sound technology - just looking for opinions from people who aren't so challenged that way. :D

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

1 hour ago, liborio99 said:

Excuse me, but I do not understand why going to change the system without having, probably, significant benefits.

I am asking for an opinion as to whether or not there would be any benefits, and, if so, whether it would be worthwhile to make any change.

If there are any SQ benefits at all, then I will decide whether or not to make any changes. If there aren't any, I probably won't make a change (the V-Link doesn't really take up that much space and if I keep the V-Link , it would save me from having to purchase a probably expensive new USB cable).

@Liborio I take from your response that you do not think that there probably would not be significant sound quality benefits. Can you clarify why or why not? Thanks!

6 hours ago, Joebah said:

I am asking for an opinion as to whether or not there would be any benefits, and, if so, whether it would be worthwhile to make any change.

If there are any SQ benefits at all, then I will decide whether or not to make any changes. If there aren't any, I probably won't make a change (the V-Link doesn't really take up that much space and if I keep the V-Link , it would save me from having to purchase a probably expensive new USB cable).

@Liborio I take from your response that you do not think that there probably would not be significant sound quality benefits. Can you clarify why or why not? Thanks!

I am guessing that the (silent) concensus is that there is no reason to replace my V-Link 192 with either the EITR or Gen 5 USB upgrade to my Bifrost for SQ purposes. So unless anyone else or Schiit chimes in someday, that is what I plan to do for now. 

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

you could try it and pay the small return fee if it doesn't work out...

@Ralf11 Unfortunately, unlike for the EITR, Schiit says "no returns" on the Gen 5 USB upgrade (my preferred alternative to get rid of the extra box on my desk).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 10:59 AM, blownsi said:

A few years ago there was a Gustard model which was a giant killer that supposedly beat out all the expensive competition.  Personally I'd love to see a comparison against a device like the USB 3.0 from Ifi.  If the Schitt truly does what it says then it will make the Ifi useless.  

ditto and subbed.