IGNORED

Great New Schiit (USB Gen 5 upgrade and Eitr)

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

@sahmen What are your reasons for concern? Wouldn't you just run the options to see which work best and if there are any differences to your ears?

It is not really a matter of concern as it is one of convenience--a way of saving some time and hassles if possible.  I imagine I shall eventually experiment with most,  if not all the listed options, when I have enough time and leisure to do so. In the meantime, though, I thought it wouldn't hurt to consult the collective wisdom of the forum in order to find out whether there is already some  consensus as to what connectors/cables work or should work best with the Gen 5 USB Yggy.  

14 hours ago, sahmen said:

Just got my Yggy back from Schiit, with the Gen 5 upgrade on board, and I am all of a sudden somewhat self-conscious about the USB cable I should use with it... But does it matter given the claim that this upgrade "solves" the USB issues, once and for all?

Anyway, here are the options I currently have in cables. Please let me know if there is any reason I should prefer one over the other for optimizing SQ.

1. Emotiva USB cable
2. Curious "Regen-link" USB cable
3. TotalDac D1 Usb cable
4. Oyaide neo D+ Class A USB Cable as in the one posted here :

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/
5. Uptone USPCB usb connector
6. Generic ordinary USB cable

I could also consider a JSSG silver-plated felon USB cable (by Ghent audio).

Again, will it which one I go with?

You may also want to consider AQVOX from Germany. I tried several USB  cables with my Yggy and chose AQVOX. It has a analog quality to it that I really liked. Best of luck!

I've started out with a moon audio blue dragon usb cable that I have on hand (Ironically, I forgot to list it among the ones I have already listed):.

https://www.moon-audio.com/blue-dragon-usb-cable.html

It's 5 hours into playback (it's important to say "warm up" playback, since this is the Yggy, with its well-known extraordinary long "warm-up" requirement), and the sound has already opened up enough to give me some glimpses as to how it is evolving.  Too early and premature to give a definitive evaluation of the new sound signature, but suffice it to say that the USB Gen 5 is already sounding emphatically like a winner on the Yggy.

I gave it a try with the Yggy Gen 5. Unplugged a Mapleshade and grabbed a standard usb cable from the storage box. There is still a huge difference. I love my Schiit, but cables still matter IMHO.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

10 minutes ago, exdmd said:

Eitr or the Gen 5 upgrade board is supposed to obsolete expensive USB cables. Has anyone with Eitr or a Schiit Gen 5 DAC actually been able to hear a difference between USB cables?

Most definitely with Gen 5 on a Yggdrasil.

The idea that Gen 5 eliminates USB differences is an urban legend. ;)

My system here

1 hour ago, exdmd said:

Eitr or the Gen 5 upgrade board is supposed to obsolete expensive USB cables. Has anyone with Eitr or a Schiit Gen 5 DAC actually been able to hear a difference between USB cables?

Eitr is brilliant but, contrary to some claims, its performance is enhanced by cables and whatever's in front of it.

IME

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe @beerandmusic is actually on to something. :P

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/drinkable-pot-constellation-brands-takes-stake-in-marijuana-company-2017-10-29

No disrespect intended, it's just a joke.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

wouldn't using an eitr eliminate some dsd functionality?

That would depend on the DAC. Clearly sticking Eitr in front of a DAC that supports DSD would eliminate more than some DSD functionality. But, I don’t see how sticking Eitr in front of am Yggdrasil would do anything in regards to DSD one way or the other. 

23 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

That would depend on the DAC. Clearly sticking Eitr in front of a DAC that supports DSD would eliminate more than some DSD functionality. But, I don’t see how sticking Eitr in front of am Yggdrasil would do anything in regards to DSD one way or the other. 

right...so it would be stupid for someone that has a dsd dac and wants dsd functionality to get one of these as their noise suppressors...that was my question....

• 2 weeks later...

I updated my Gungnir multibit with the USB 5 board a few weeks ago so it has (or I have) been fairly broken in.  In my system, the gen 5 easily beat the older usb in bass and detail - this was immediately apparent.  However... for some reason it is still not as musical as the coax/spdif input, via the Aries Mini (w/ the Auralic LPS, and via a Supra usb cable) at least.  In this setup, the coax is notably smoother and more nuanced throughout the midrange, which is pretty easy to hear on a pair of ProAcs.  The USB 5 does exhibit better frequency extension and articulation; however the coax sounds more like real music. 

I have no doubt that this is all very system dependent... but I would be interested to learn if others are hearing a gap between usb 5 and the other inputs, whether it is source dependent, whether it demands more usb remediation, etc.  The general consensus seems to be that the Aries mini's best output is usb, fwiw. 

22 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Are you sure the difference is not the Aries? 

I think it might be a limitation of the Aries Mini.  I don't have any other good usb sources to compare against, at the moment.

14 hours ago, mordante said:

But it did take a good (Ansuz Digitalz A USB cable) to unleash the DAC and streamers (Auralic Aries LE with Sbooster power supply) full potential

I was wondering if I might need to explore new cabling or su.  And, I am guessing the Aries LE is a notch up from the Mini. Trying to decide whether to invest up the Aries line or try an sMS-200.