IGNORED

Great New Schiit (USB Gen 5 upgrade and Eitr)

Hopefully will have my Yggy back with the new Gen 5 card by the end of next week.  Yes, it had to go completely across the country . . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I am not very well versed in these things, but would this allow me to get rid of the V-Link 192 that currently resides between my Mac and my Bifrost Multibit DAC? What would be the advantages of getting this upgrade to my Bifrost?

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed the Gen 5 USB upgrade in Yggy.  It took about 30min.  Wow, I really can pitch all of the add on devices that I've used in the past.  This is not a subtle step up on performance, this is huge. Midrange is clear, smooth, and focused. Solid performance on top and bottom end too.  I don't know how Schiit does it, but I'm so glad they do it so well!  

On 7/17/2017 at 11:00 AM, rikhav said:

A very slily question to ask, but better to clear a doubt

Can this board be used for non-schiit DACs to upgrade the usb interface ?

All you need do is buy the stand-alone Eitr box ($179). It converts USB to SPDIF Coaxial, If your non-Schiit DAC has a coax SPDIF input, you can certainly use it with the Eitr. 

eitr_front_1920(1).jpg

George

37 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

All you need do is buy the stand-alone Eitr box ($179). It converts USB to SPDIF Coaxial, If your non-Schiit DAC has a coax SPDIF input, you can certainly use it with the Eitr. 

eitr_front_1920(1).jpg

I am a little confused about this though because I "believe" i heard that spdif is only capable of dsd64..i know schiit doesn't support dsd, but doesn't he still upconvert everything to hi-res that is higher resolution than dsd64?   (21bit or something?)  is Spdif capable of that high-resolution ?

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I am a little confused about this though because I "believe" i heard that spdif is only capable of dsd64..i know schiit doesn't support dsd, but doesn't he still upconvert everything to hi-res that is higher resolution than dsd64?   (21bit or something?)  is Spdif capable of that high-resolution ?

Up to 24/192. That is the max.

@beerandmusic that IS the max on the Ygdrassil ... http://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

13 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I don't know about that. I care little for DSD (although I do have, and enjoy a number of SACDs, but that's not the same thing, is it?) and I don't think, due to the small amount of material available in the format, that it has any future whatsoever. 

George

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

so the yggi is below that?  What is max resolution of the yggi?

24/192. Higher is, in my estimation, just a way to waste storage space and gives no audible improvement whatsoever. After all, who can hear a bandwidth 192 KHz? Hell I find 24/192 (bandwidth out to 96 KHz) to be a joke. Even people who believe that there is musical content past 30KHz, 88.2 KHz sampling is more than enough. Now, of course if we are making recordings for dogs.... :)

George

my understanding is that it is not about the upper freq. limit of human hearing (whether sine waves or impulse transients) as it is about the ability to avoid effects from brick wall filters

for the record, I am purely on Redbook for the time being - my SACDs are currently lacking a decent player

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

my understanding is that it is not about the upper freq. limit of human hearing (whether sine waves or impulse transients) as it is about the ability to avoid effects from brick wall filters

for the record, I am purely on Redbook for the time being - my SACDs are currently lacking a decent player

96 KHz is certainly a high-enough sampling rate for that. I've made recordings simultaneously at 96 KHz and at 192 KHz. I've played them for many people. Nobody has ever been able to tell the difference. It's one of those things that people get hung-up on. I.E., if a lot is good, then even more must be better! Like the old Gershwin song says: "T'aint necessarily so!"

George

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

you can buy a marantz ud7007 used relatively cheap, and i can say first hand that it is the best spinner i have ever tried under $1K....sounds AMAZING!

Since the Eitr then requires coax out, does that create issues as well? I only ask because I've read and heard "experts" talk about all the problems with coax. However, they also talk about the terrible issues with optical and USB. 

Looking for some clarity in the noise because the Eitr seems like a compelling upgrade in my system.

1 hour ago, loop7 said:

Since the Eitr then requires coax out, does that create issues as well? I only ask because I've read and heard "experts" talk about all the problems with coax. However, they also talk about the terrible issues with optical and USB. 

Looking for some clarity in the noise because the Eitr seems like a compelling upgrade in my system.

RG59U and equivalent Coax has a bandwidth greater than 6 MHz, and as such is better than USB (whose issues aren't so much bandwidth limitations as it is the way USB communicate with peripherals) and certainly better than Toslink.

George

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thx, but I am planning on the newest Oppo

yea, i pondered the 205...more features but doesn't sound as good imho...

actually i cant comment on the 205, but have had 105...i just never heard any spinner sound better than the marantz..i am sure there are some that are more expensive that do, but marantz has always beat out the oppo in my history of them.

Just got my Yggy back from Schiit, with the Gen 5 upgrade on board, and I am all of a sudden somewhat self-conscious about the USB cable I should use with it... But does it matter given the claim that this upgrade "solves" the USB issues, once and for all?

Anyway, here are the options I currently have in cables. Please let me know if there is any reason I should prefer one over the other for optimizing SQ.

1. Emotiva USB cable
2. Curious "Regen-link" USB cable
3. TotalDac D1 Usb cable
4. Oyaide neo D+ Class A USB Cable as in the one posted here :

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oyaide-neo-d-class-a-usb-20-cable/
5. Uptone USPCB usb connector
6. Generic ordinary USB cable

I could also consider a JSSG silver-plated felon USB cable (by Ghent audio).

Again, will it which one I go with?

@sahmen The UpTone USPCB is worth a shot, at the very reasonable price, ... if you can accommodate it in your setup. I felt it made a worthwhile difference over a 'real' USB cable that I had.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

5 hours ago, Charente said:

@sahmen The UpTone USPCB is worth a shot, at the very reasonable price, ... if you can accommodate it in your setup. I felt it made a worthwhile difference over a 'real' USB cable that I had.

Nice... I am yet to figure out a method of using the USPCB to connect the Ultrarendu to the Yggy on my rack in a way that is both stable and non-stressful to either the Ultrarendu or the USB jack on the Yggy.  I have not figured it out yet, but I shall eventually try that connector out once I do.