IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Well, amusing in that you tried something that wasn’t intended (part of this is getting “closer to the iron,” and you instead headed in what I in perhaps uninformed fashion believe would be the opposite direction by adding a virtualization layer).  But as far as harming a computer, I have no doubt you’ve forgotten more about them than I’ll ever know, and I haven’t come close to doing harm to any of the several Windows installations I’ve tried it with.

I tried in a VM first to see how it behaved. Undoing everything it did to Windows would take hours if it's at all possible. Had I realised it was this invasive, I wouldn't have contemplated trying it. Sorry for the disturbance.

20 minutes ago, mansr said:

I tried in a VM first to see how it behaved. Undoing everything it did to Windows would take hours if it's at all possible. Had I realised it was this invasive, I wouldn't have contemplated trying it. Sorry for the disturbance.

I must say I don’t recognize my experience in your description.  Perhaps things have changed substantially since I last used it.

But whatever it’s doing shouldn’t have been unexpected.  You did read the pertinent information on the Phasure forum, didn’t you?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I must say I don’t recognize my experience in your description.  Perhaps things have changed substantially since I last used it.

Most obviously, it change the desktop background to black without asking. It also did a number of things that triggered the Windows extra permission dialogue box. Figuring out what, let alone undoing it, is not easy.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

But whatever it’s doing shouldn’t have been unexpected.  You did read the pertinent information on the Phasure forum, didn’t you?

I didn't read the entire forum, so I guess not.

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

It also did a number of things that triggered the Windows extra permission dialogue box.

So you didn’t read the bit about user permissions, or things have changed from when I used it.

I believe reversing everything is as easy as uninstalling, or at least it used to be.  Or leaving it installed and just not running it.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The interesting thing for me is that we've moved from hardware to software - I've hardly played with software, and in one sense I don't need to; because software is just a mechanism for controlling how hardware behaves in the situation, in a very indirect way, . Coming from a CD as source environment it's been a hardware world all the way, baby!

The underlying mechanism to every variation or permutation in this game of "getting the sound right", hardware or software, is that it's too darn easy to perturb the analogue areas of the playback circuitry, by just about everything it seems at times - not dramatically so, and hard to measure; but just enough to allow our/brain to pick up that the sound is 'wrong'. The only solution I've found so far is to keep plugging away, plugging all the little holes in the dam that are leaking water - the reward when the last important leak is stoppered is spectacularly impressive sound quality - so, the pain does in fact yield lots of gain ... :D.

16 hours ago, PeterSt said:

...As a matter of fact I personally learn from about everyone, regardless the system which we mostly don't even know. Just try to envision what may happen if a 100 people start to listen to each other and take for granted what they say. The learning (and progress !) would go so fast, that you don't know where you are (this could be too much of Dutch).

Hi Peter. Bravo! I've been dipping into this thread occasionally and this caught my eye - has to be one of the best things I've read on an audio forum ...?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

I received a shipping notice this morning - my Lush is on the way.  I'm very much looking forward to hearing it.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

11 hours ago, barrows said:

OK guys, I am unsubscribing.  I see nothing of substance here about the LUSH cable anymore, just the usual bickering.  When I get a LUSH cable here I may choose to re-engage here with some listening impressions.

I accept already that different USB cables give rise to different sonics, although in my current system the implementation of the USB transmitter and receiver sections (and isolation of USB on the DAC side) is good enough to reduce those difference to very small levels.  I am looking forward to trying the LUSH and seeing what it brings, I am also interested in hearing of others' listening experiences, vs. other USB cables...

Indeed, +1 again. Back to listening to...(lush) music! 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I received a shipping notice this morning - my Lush is on the way.  I'm very much looking forward to hearing it.

Cool! Maybe start a Lush cable listening impressions thread to share your excitement? ;)

Seriously, I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

The Lush is a phenomenal USB cable. In my system it replaced the Curious USB cable with clear sonic benefits - more relaxed flow of music, richer sound, more meat around the bones, better bass. Not saying the Curious is bad on its own, it's not, but the Lush is well worth investing in: it's cheaper than the Curious and in my opinion - it simply delivers more. Kudos to Peter!

6 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

The Lush is a phenomenal USB cable.

Excellent! Which DAC are you using it with?

Edit: Don't worry, it's the Codex, which is already on the DAC list.

Back on track...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

OK, the Holo Spring is already on the list too.

I love these minimalist setups ¬¬

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

11 hours ago, feelingears said:

Cool! Maybe start a Lush cable listening impressions thread to share your excitement? ;)

Seriously, I look forward to hearing your opinion.

I'll post impressions here.  It'll be compared to a USPCB.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

All,

In retrospective I can see that I myself I am using the Lush since June 21 (2017). This is thus 6 weeks or so.

I recall that someone asked asked about breaking in and I was at day 30. At that time I thought "odd, because things seems to change right here, so let's keep in touch with everything".

A week later I thought to report it, because it became more obvious, but still non confident.

Here we are, August 10 (still 2017). And I am confident to say :

Things change. It should be at day 30 or so (deduct 5 days for personal reasons like the system being off all together) and the change is hard to describe, but it should be mere about the "warm piss" which was referred to earlier today without too much emphasis, as the liquid seems to exhibit more and more as in Terminator III (this is metal liquid).

Additionally (seems contra dictionary) I think you could say that the sound gets more and more to the point, WHILE at the same time it gets more lush.

I am really not sure myself how this combines but I just spent 3-4 hours with explicit listening to this, without a good answer.

Anyone ? 

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

44 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Things change. It should be at day 30 or so (deduct 5 days for personal reasons like the system being off all together) and the change is hard to describe,

I've only had the LUSH in the system for about two weeks, but things do indeed seem to change (for the better). For me, though, the sound does not become more "lush" but rather more "right," in the sense that timbres become even more accurate and lifelike. In fact, in my system, the LUSH cable, as mentioned in an earlier post, never changed the basic sound signature of the system, but rather it seemed to remove any remaining USB gremlins that might "cover up" the character of that signature. Personally, I'd rather not have any part of the system color the sound by adding "lushness," since the sound I hear in the concert hall or the jazz club is seldom, if ever, lush.

Thank you, @PeterSt for sharing your own impressions, even if they apparently caused scorn and consternation in some quarters.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Give me a break...magically...after 30 days of burn-in, the cable sounds even better. It is the highest form of "expectation bias" when the guy selling the "magic" falls prey to his own hype.

My understanding is that all components benefit from a period of burn in.  Nothing unique here.

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Additionally (seems contra dictionary) I think you could say that the sound gets more and more to the point, WHILE at the same time it gets more lush.

I am really not sure myself how this combines but I just spent 3-4 hours with explicit listening to this, without a good answer.

Anyone ? 

This is just the natural outcome of getting "closer to the recording" - as the audible anomalies contributed by the playback setup are steadily eliminated or attentuated, the subjective impact of the reproduction is more gutsy, intense, "grabs you by the ball"; but also is as smooth as silk when the musical production is of that nature. Massed orchestral strings soar, with a powerful, searing bite - but remain superbly sweet ... it's like the best quality dark chocolate ... :D

2 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Give me a break...magically...after 30 days of burn-in, the cable sounds even better. It is the highest form of "expectation bias" when the guy selling the "magic" falls prey to his own hype.

I know, like the guys at Schiit Audio saying the Yggdrasil needs like *300* hours of break-in!  Wotta laugh!

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

All,

In retrospective I can see that I myself I am using the Lush since June 21 (2017). This is thus 6 weeks or so.

I recall that someone asked asked about breaking in and I was at day 30. At that time I thought "odd, because things seems to change right here, so let's keep in touch with everything".

A week later I thought to report it, because it became more obvious, but still non confident.

Things change. It should be at day 30 or so (deduct 5 days for personal reasons like the system being off all together) and the change is hard to describe, but it should be mere about the "warm piss" which was referred to earlier today without too much emphasis, as the liquid seems to exhibit more and more as in Terminator III (this is metal liquid).

Anyone ? 

Any chance orders that were placed yesterday get shipped before your vacation? I literally just found out about your USB cable yesterday and immediately ordered. If not, I understand.  

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks