IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

10 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Ok folks, this thread is about the Lush cable.  Let's keep it there. This thread has been useful to those of us that take an empirical view of this hobby.  We don't need another thread where the usual bunch of wankers tell us we are delusional, or buying snake oil. We already know your opinions about this innovation and any future innovations shared on CA.  Don't bore us with more of your rhetoric.

PUT UP or SHUT UP!

200 Euros is more than a reasonable price for an audio cable. Either buy one and offer an informed opinion or go away!

Thank you very much.

Larry

Guess what, Larry, we have been talking about this "Lush" USB cable.

Here's the deal, with USB we are talking about digital data here. It's digital when it is transmitted and it is digital when it is received by the DAC. It's digital when the DAC moves the data out of the USB section via I2S to be processed further inside the DAC. 

As I have said before, just about any cable will get the data to the DAC without any bits being flipped. So, exactly what kind of effect can this "Lush" USB cable have? What does the cable deal with? We are talking four wires here. We have a differential signal for data (two wires), a +5vdc VCC wire, and a GND wire. That's it. Assuming the USB PHY on the DAC passes the right bits over I2S, how can the USB cable affect what comes out the analog section of the DAC?

Once again, we must assume the bits are making it into the DAC without being flipped. Assuming that, the only thing the "LUSH" USB cable can affect is how much in our out of spec the signals on the wire are compared to what they would have been with another cable. The cable can be in our out of spec in capacitance, impedance, attenuation, and shielding. Variations in these specs will make the USB PHY work differently. The USB PHY working differently will cause the USB PHY to put out different signals (noise) to the internal circuitry of the DAC (Unless, of course, the USB PHY is isolated from the rest of the DAC).

Can you setup a USB cable to cause these signals to make the DAC sound better or worse? Sure. Why not. However, not every DAC has the same USB circuitry. Even if they use the same USB chip, the rest of circuitry is likely to be different from DAC to DAC and most certainly from DAC manufacturer to DAC manufacturer. What does this mean? It means that to get a DAC to sound better with a "LUSH" cable, that cable is going to have to be custom made with that particular DAC in mind. That means a cable that makes a Phasure DAC sound better may make a Chord DAC sound worse.

So Peter selling one "Lush" cable to make absolutely no sense to me which is what I asked how his cable is able to affect sound coming from a DAC.  

7 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Can you setup a USB cable to cause these signals to make the DAC sound better or worse? Sure. Why not. However, not every DAC has the same USB circuitry. Even if they use the same USB chip, the rest of circuitry is likely to be different from DAC to DAC and most certainly from DAC manufacturer to DAC manufacturer. What does this mean? It means that to get a DAC to sound better with a "LUSH" cable, that cable is going to have to be custom made with that particular DAC in mind. That means a cable that makes a Phasure DAC sound better may make a Chord DAC sound worse.

So Peter selling one "Lush" cable to make absolutely no sense to me which is what I asked how his cable is able to affect sound coming from a DAC.  

Unless there is a generic problem with the interaction of the digital in on USB and the following analogue ... there's likely to be setups where it makes no difference, or even makes it worse. But if there is a solid return policy then one can try it, knowing that one is not "caught" with an accessory that doesn't fit, in a particular instance.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Unless there is a generic problem with the interaction of the digital in on USB and the following analogue ... there's likely to be setups where it makes no difference, or even makes it worse. But if there is a solid return policy then one can try it, knowing that  one is not "caught" with an accessory that doesn't fit, in a particular instance.

Odds are it makes it worse UNLESS specifically tuned for a particular hardware setup.

2 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

That means a cable that makes a Phasure DAC sound better may make a Chord DAC sound worse.

Ah you got it. We are all on a strategic plan (even worse than the 10 years M$ works with) to get Phasure DACs in everybody's homes. Of course we start with moving in cables filled with snake oil so everybody starts to complain. Then we solve the problem not by having the cables returned but by sending DACs behind them.

@Speed Racer, I will try to come up with a more serious reply later.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

I read some experience someone else has had, and the juxtaposition of that and what's occurred for me allows me to gain understanding - it's been a long, laborious journey, and I'm nowhere near finished, yet ... :(

Allow me to apply a small correction :

I read some experience someone else has had, and the juxtaposition of that and what's occurred for me allows me to gain understanding - it's been a long, laborious journey, and I'm nowhere near finished, yet ... :)

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 hours ago, cmarin said:
Peter's new Lush USB cable has been in my system for only about ten hours. And while my system prior to the introduction of his cable was sounding the best I've ever heard in my room, the Lush cable has taken it to another level completely. 

It is simply the most realistic, natural reproduction of music I've ever heard in my room by a not insignificant measure. It's simply MUSIC!

Let me join the chorus and extend my hearty congratulations to Peter!! An amazing design achievement!

:):)

And allow me to add that while @cmarin may be known to own a Phasure NOS1a and it thus could be another of those "obvious" hoorays, he is not - and has not been using that for this Lushy experience; His NOS1a is on its way to here to become NOS1a/G3, so he must be using something else.

Now with this knowledge, let's have some deep interpretation on what I just said to Speed Racer in combination with each word from what I just quoted from cmarin, and then dare to draw some fine conclusion. Could be interesting.

?

XXHighEnd (developer)

6 hours ago, mansr said:

And how, pray tell, does a piece of wire accomplish this miracle?

@mansr, this was specifically for guys who hold your POV:

On 14/07/2017 at 0:38 PM, manisandher said:

If you believe that there is no more issue using USB for audio than using it for a mouse, then simply move along to another thread that interests you. No need to waste your time posting here.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Guess what, Larry, we have been talking about this "Lush" USB cable.

Here's the deal, with USB we are talking about digital data here. It's digital when it is transmitted and it is digital when it is received by the DAC. It's digital when the DAC moves the data out of the USB section via I2S to be processed further inside the DAC. 

As I have said before, just about any cable will get the data to the DAC without any bits being flipped. So, exactly what kind of effect can this "Lush" USB cable have? What does the cable deal with? We are talking four wires here. We have a differential signal for data (two wires), a +5vdc VCC wire, and a GND wire. That's it. Assuming the USB PHY on the DAC passes the right bits over I2S, how can the USB cable affect what comes out the analog section of the DAC?

Once again, we must assume the bits are making it into the DAC without being flipped. Assuming that, the only thing the "LUSH" USB cable can affect is how much in our out of spec the signals on the wire are compared to what they would have been with another cable. The cable can be in our out of spec in capacitance, impedance, attenuation, and shielding. Variations in these specs will make the USB PHY work differently. The USB PHY working differently will cause the USB PHY to put out different signals (noise) to the internal circuitry of the DAC (Unless, of course, the USB PHY is isolated from the rest of the DAC).

Listening impressions of the Lush from numerous people from around the world, with totally different systems, suggests the Lush's 'working as advertised'. (I won't list them all again - most are here in this thread.)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

12 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

:):)

And allow me to add that while @cmarin may be known to own a Phasure NOS1a and it thus could be another of those "obvious" hoorays, he is not - and has not been using that for this Lushy experience; His NOS1a is on its way to here to become NOS1a/G3, so he must be using something else.

Now with this knowledge, let's have some deep interpretation on what I just said to Speed Racer in combination with each word from what I just quoted from cmarin, and then dare to draw some fine conclusion. Could be interesting.

?

What can I draw from those words? That he has expectation bias and that any cable you sent him would cause the same reaction.

Look, unless your "Lush" cable is flipping bits in the digital data stream, the zeroes and ones coming out of the computer are the same as those getting past the USB interface and into the the deeper parts of the DAC. Since you can't color zeroes and ones, your cable must be affecting the DAC USB interface in some other way. Whether that is good or not would be DAC specific.

Why don't you explain specifically what your cable is doing to affect the sound coming out of the analog side of the DAC? 

12 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

What can I draw from those words? That he has expectation bias and that any cable you sent him would cause the same reaction.

From a fellow Yggy user:

On 24/07/2017 at 1:48 PM, Boleary3 said:

What is really remarkable about the sound of the Lush is that it is both smoother sounding and, at the same time, everything, instruments and voices, are more solid sounding. Everything has more "presence", thus everything sounds more natural. After listening for several hours I again reset the PP to 115, inserted the Clairixa and was shocked to hear how the airiness of female voices suddenly sound hollow compared to the solidness of the Lush. Incredible achievement.

[Highlights mine.]

Draw what you want from these words.

Mani.

26 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Why don't you explain specifically what your cable is doing to affect the sound coming out of the analog side of the DAC?

Because something like IP exists.

Besides that, it seems that you already all summed it up perfectly (derived from what has been said in this thread, so the question seems strange to begin with, and if not derived from this thread then apparentlyyou are smart enough to come up with the answers yourself) ,,, but is seems that you just lack that last bit of drawing the right conclusions, or don't want to conclude or are in denial or ... I don't know. Anyway, might you be constructively thinking instead of destructively, we would have another kind of Speed Racer. This means I could talk to you. Now you don't allow me in.

Anyway I can say it again you summed it up nicely (and is not easy to do - just saying).

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Odds are it makes it worse UNLESS specifically tuned for a particular hardware setup.

Just an example of being a bit too thick. It does NOT make it worse. You only like to believe that from your own reasoning + statistics (and admittedly you would be correct), but you can *see* that it does not make it worse.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Because something like IP exists.

Besides that, it seems that you already all summed it up perfectly (derived from what has been said in this thread, so the question seems strange to begin with, and if not derived from this thread then apparentlyyou are smart enough to come up with the answers yourself) ,,, but is seems that you just lack that last bit of drawing the right conclusions, or don't want to conclude or are in denial or ... I don't know. Anyway, might you be constructively thinking instead of destructively, we would have another kind of Speed Racer. This means I could talk to you. Now you don't allow me in.

Anyway I can say it again you summed it up nicely (and is not easy to do - just saying).

So, are you going to tell me that all DAC USB implementations react positively to the "tuning" you are doing with your "Lush" cable? How about USB implementations that utilize some form of galvanic isolation? Whether it be using  the Silanna isolator chip or transformers?

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Just an example of being a bit too thick. It does NOT make it worse. You only like to believe that from your own reasoning + statistics (and admittedly you would be correct), but you can *see* that it does not make it worse.

If you can use your cable to tune a DAC to perform better, it means you can use a cable to tune a DAC to perform worse. 

21 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

So, are you going to tell me that all DAC USB implementations react positively to the "tuning" you are doing with your "Lush" cable? How about USB implementations that utilize some form of galvanic isolation? Whether it be using  the Silanna isolator chip or transformers?

Yea yea yea, you start to be funny.

The Phasure NOS1 has no galvanic isolation.

The Phasure NOS1a has galvanic isolation behind the USB interface, in i2s.

The Phasure NOS1a/G3 has galvanic isolation in i2s and in USB in front of the USB interface. It can be bypassed.

Each of above situations can add e.g. the Intona, which of course is also used outside NOS1/xyz applications and this includes the IS Regen of which I have seen at least one using that with the Lush and with of course the same results.

Of course.

Anything else ?

PS: Maybe I can remind you that you guys started using the Intona as a first USB Highspeed galvanic isolation means because of me, myself and I (not that I created it, but someone brought it to your attention and this was me (after a small failure at first because my serial number #00001 had some failure in it)).

The i2s galvanic isolation Phasure was also the first with.

The in-built USB galvanic isolation - same story.

SQ influence by means of software ? again the same story (including proof by measurements).

And what you also should know is that because of this actually stupidness of the latter, I started building D/A converters. Just to counter attack that stupidness. Well, up to today I failed on that. It is actually getting worse because SQ improves progressively and we hear a 1000x more than 10 years ago.

XXHighEnd (developer)

32 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

If you can use your cable to tune a DAC to perform better, it means you can use a cable to tune a DAC to perform worse.

Of course. And if you coincidentally read that eye-shattering page with the introduction of the Lush over at Phasure, you'll see that this really happened. Just to find "directions". So if someone wants, I can provide at least one other super interestingly sounding USB cable which is as differently sounding as the Lush compared to normal, but in the wrong direction. The good thing of my trials is that I can listen to such a cable with interest because it mainly shows all the frequencies and necessary dynamics, which is different to e.g. the Supra which won't stay in the chain for even a minute because it lacks all I like to have. But despite such a trial cable doesn't seem to lack much, it is just "bad sounding". Think like dead. So the exact opposite of the Lush. And this is no coincidence because electrically it *is* the exact opposite; or should be, because it is all theory (I say it again, read Marce's posts). 

XXHighEnd (developer)

Not addressing anyone specifically, but part of the crux :

USB was made to USB (as in the verb) and not to play audio over. This means that all contenders in the chain, behave to USB spec, driven by "electrical data". Electrically this also means that one element can quite far depict the behavior of the whole chain. Let's have an example :

If we like to control a loudspeaker driver, we must have sufficient current to ...

Now think. I will come up with a small clue in a few minutes. If you have an answer, don't hesitate.

XXHighEnd (developer)

14 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

If we like to control a loudspeaker driver, we must have sufficient current to ...

... create enough force to move the cone (in the way we want)?

Mani.