IGNORED

Successful Long-Distance Teleportation!

It's not "teleportation" in the Star Trek sense: one thing did not instantly hop from one place to another.  It regards two entangled photons which remained entangled at a distance of 500 km.  Interesting, previously demonstrated at shorter distances, and theoretically predicted.

I guess it could be used for the purpose you suggest if we didn't already have radio.  (I know, that's the joke.)

Meh. Machina Dynamica has been doing quantum teleportation for the better part of 10 years now.

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

Please do not comment on less you've tried it for yourself, or I will be enraged. I am very open minded and want to read only positive experience comments that confirm that it works. Any "theory" welcome thanks!

(please adjust sarcasm detectors if you can}:)

33 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Meh. Machina Dynamica has been doing quantum teleportation for the better part of 10 years now.

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

Please do not comment on less you've tried it for yourself, or I will be enraged. I am very open minded and want to read only positive experience comments that confirm that it works. Any "theory" welcome thanks!

(please adjust sarcasm detectors if you can}:)

Real teleportation (in the Star Trek "Beam me up, Scotty" manner, anyway) is impossible. The amount of data required would be trillions of terabytes for a human being. And most importantly, teleportation is a misnomer. How it would have to actually work, is that the matter being "teleported" is actually being destroyed (vaporized as in killed) at the start point and re-created at the destination point. Even if such a thing were possible, it is very doubtful that the re-created person or other biological entity at the destination would be alive. Warp drive? Maybe. Energy weapons? Most likely. Transporters for matter and living organisms? No. 

George

7 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Real teleportation (in the Star Trek "Beam me up, Scotty" manner, anyway) is impossible. The amount of data required would be trillions of terabytes for a human being. And most importantly, teleportation is a misnomer. How it would have to actually work, is that the matter being "teleported" is actually being destroyed (vaporized as in killed) at the start point and re-created at the destination point. Even if such a thing were possible, it is very doubtful that the re-created person or other biological entity at the destination would be alive. Warp drive? Maybe. Energy weapons? Most likely. Transporters for matter and living organisms? No. 

Wouldn't this be about the same amount of data as a concert recorded and played back in DSD 4096 formats?

An off topic observation.  I thought it was interesting that a person's entire personal genome can be written upon a CD-R.  More interesting is lossless compression can reduce the size to 4 megabytes. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

@Apesbrain is of course correct.  However: This experiment shows moving *information* is possible.  And if all the *information* concerning an object is moved to other particles that can be built into that object, then you have in effect teleported the object.  As @gmgraves mentions, for any macroscopic object that is a hella lot of information, so what the practical applications (if any) may be over the next decades, who knows?  Though as @esldude says, we could use nature's own "data compression" methods to put humans elsewhere (but who'd take care of raising them?).

An aside: Anyone notice a lot of cutting edge science and engineering is being done in China these days?  A friend who does neurological research on sensory systems recently took a position there, moving from what I thought was a pretty idyllic life in the Canary Islands.  Bears watching.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Apesbrain said:

Worth reading: No-communication theorem.

Yes, no EPR violation can take place.  Correlated states, the terminology used in the article you linked, is a much better way to put it than my reference to moving "information."

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:35 PM, esldude said:

Wouldn't this be about the same amount of data as a concert recorded and played back in DSD 4096 formats?

An off topic observation.  I thought it was interesting that a person's entire personal genome can be written upon a CD-R.  More interesting is lossless compression can reduce the size to 4 megabytes. 

Wouldn't this be interesting: Using a "transporter", convert a person to a data stream, and instead of actually transporting them to another physical location, you "write" them to some storage device like a thumb drive, and re-constitute them at another time/place; maybe far into the future. Think of how that would simplify interstellar travel? The spaceships could be very small, need to take no oxygen, no food except what the re-constituded crew might need while at their destination (hopefully an "M"-type planet), and when their mission is complete, be again quantified, stored back to the ship's memory bank for the long voyage home, and when re-constituded on earth, they will have aged only the few days, weeks, or months spent at their destination! 

George

32 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Wouldn't this be interesting: Using a "transporter", convert a person to a data stream, and instead of actually transporting them to another physical location, you "write" them to some storage device like a thumb drive, and re-constitute them at another time/place; maybe far into the future. Think of how that would simplify interstellar travel? The spaceships could be very small, need to take no oxygen, no food except what the re-constituded crew might need while at their destination (hopefully an "M"-type planet), and when their mission is complete, be again quantified, stored back to the ship's memory bank for the long voyage home, and when re-constituded on earth, they will have aged only the few days, weeks, or months spent at their destination! 

I've read sci-fi like that.  They had developed ways to quickly grow the new body from genetic files and then place memory back into the reconstituted body.  The memory was the big data dump.  So no one physically travelled across space anymore.  They were all beamed from place to place.  There were rules to end one body after another was 'grown' elsewhere to prevent duplicates. 

Of course in between were times when genetics developed people who were of high human intelligence, a couple feet tall, and their bodies were hardened against radiation which also gave them unusually long lives.  So regular humans usually couldn't afford to travel off earth, but nearby space was populated with the genetic alterations for space faring people that were of less mass, and not bothered by radiation or long space voyages.  All in imagination of course.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 minutes ago, esldude said:

All in imagination of course.

Not to Alex Jones.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

Not to Alex Jones.

You are not referring to the child slave camps we have on Mars are you?

The scary part is I know people who say Mr. Jones sometimes gets a little overboard, but usually is a solid source of important information.  Lord help us.

27 minutes ago, esldude said:

You are not referring to the child slave camps we have on Mars are you?

The scary part is I know people who say Mr. Jones sometimes gets a little overboard, but usually is a solid source of important information.  Lord help us.

"We"???

I thought it was the Russians?

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

"We"???

I thought it was the Russians?

I was employing the global we.  We humans from Earth.

@Jud I agree with you on most points. Also on this one:

20 hours ago, Jud said:

Anyone notice a lot of cutting edge science and engineering is being done in China these days?

One more remark - the moment we have quantum internet there will be no need for lossy streaming format such as MQA. Vaporware  ;)