IGNORED

Best Headphone to buy under 100?

Just now, stuartplab said:

I have been opening lot of blogs and everyone is recommending different kinds of headphones. This has resulted in lot of confusion. Can here anyone please suggest me best headphone to buy under 100 dollars? Not more than this. Thanks In Advance.

https://crystalbreak.com/best-headphones-under-100/

Honestly, the maximum amount of expertise on this is over at Head-Fi.org. They can easily point you to the absolute best options. They even have extensive, current buyers guides ready for you. THE site for all things headphones. Nothing else is even in the running. 

JC

2 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Honestly, the maximum amount of expertise on this is over at Head-Fi.org. They can easily point you to the absolute best options. They even have extensive, current buyers guides ready for you. THE site for all things headphones. Nothing else is even in the running. 

JC

Thanks for the reply. I would check Head-Fi.org.

2 hours ago, stuartplab said:

I have been opening lot of blogs and everyone is recommending different kinds of headphones. This has resulted in lot of confusion. Can here anyone please suggest me best headphone to buy under 100 dollars? Not more than this. Thanks In Advance.

https://crystalbreak.com/best-headphones-under-100/

I would say Grado SR60e if you can live with the fact that the headphone is open and have an old school design.

Yep. First sort out if you want in ear, on ear, or over ear. Or even wireless.

With headphones  form factor and comfort are probably more important than absolute sound quality. Because with two pretty good sounding headphones, you will be much happier with a pair that match your needs/preferences in terms of form factor and comfort. Without those two aspects, you probably won't be happy with any HP you choose, no matter how good it sounds.

That narrows your choices way down and you can start to get recommendations just of the main type you've chosen. Reading about those will probably give you an idea of how each one sounds, and you can narrow to 2-4 candidates. 

Depending on where you live, you may be able to audition a few of the final list at a store.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The problem with Grado SR60's/80's is that they wear out under regular use after about 2 years. Been through about 4 pairs in the last 10 years, three were the headphone cable  broke so that 1 side went out, a 4th where the driver just seemed to deteriorate in sound compared to  others in the house. They are a good bargain for sound but not rugged enough for an "on the go" headphone. If durability  is important the Koss Porta Pro's held up best  among headphones I've owned for under $100 and had a decent sound

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

The problem with Grado SR60's/80's is that they wear out under regular use after about 2 years. Been through about 4 pairs in the last 10 years, three were the headphone cable  broke so that 1 side went out, a 4th where the driver just seemed to deteriorate in sound compared to  others in the house. They are a good bargain for sound but not rugged enough for an "on the go" headphone. If durability  is important the Koss Porta Pro's held up best  among headphones I've owned for under $100 and had a decent sound

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

Yes, PortaPros may be the best sound under$100, and they have a lifetime warranty.

Check this podcast out.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've owned  a couple of pair Koss Porta-Pros and they are great for the price. Definitely two-dimensional sound stage and they are open-back so outside sounds get in. The thin foam ear pads wear out quickly but some online vendors will toss in an extra pair gratis when you buy from them. Biggest caveat is the VERY thin speaker wires which can break too easily. Check out https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-porta-pro-x-headphones. Although the "drop" has ended this is an "upgraded" Porta-Pro that addresses the cable issue plus other "enhancements". Unfortunately this version is not available through Koss directly. Also try their KSC 35 & 75; same drivers as the Porta-Pro in an earclip design.

Arthur E. Petersen, Jr.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...