IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

On 7/8/2017 at 8:59 AM, rattosecond said:

From what I am hearing now on my system it is a massive upgrade from the older SMS-200 version. Do you have the same findings?

I do not know but I would be interested in better understanding how the SMS-200 Ultra can actually be used. The SOtM web page is not very informative and the documentation is rather poor. According to the specs, the device can act, among others, as a UPnP renderer. It is called a "network player" but it can actually also run MPD and access files on a connected USB drive. Can it also run MinimServer or another UPnP server? If so, the Ultra could also act as an integrated UPnP server+renderer solution and be controlled by any UPnP control point. Finally: is there going to be a  SMS-200 Ultra with SPDIF output instead of USB output?

8 hours ago, nbpf said:

Hi, My name is May I'm working for SOtM as a marketing manager, sorry that our documentation is quite poor but we are now working on it to get you the better solutions for all, but yes, the MinimServer is one of functions that what sMS-200ultra is capable of.

But sorry that no plan to integrate the SPDIF output on the sMS-200ultra in this current stage.

Thank you.

Best regards, May  

8 hours ago, nbpf said:

I do not know but I would be interested in better understanding how the SMS-200 Ultra can actually be used. The SOtM web page is not very informative and the documentation is rather poor. According to the specs, the device can act, among others, as a UPnP renderer. It is called a "network player" but it can actually also run MPD and access files on a connected USB drive. Can it also run MinimServer or another UPnP server? If so, the Ultra could also act as an integrated UPnP server+renderer solution and be controlled by any UPnP control point. Finally: is there going to be a  SMS-200 Ultra with SPDIF output instead of USB output?

40 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi, My name is May I'm working for SOtM as a marketing manager ...

Thank you for your ready reply May!

Given that the SMS-200 Ultra can run MinimServer (a UPnP server) and a UPnP/DLNA renderer, let me outline a possible way of deploying the device that, to the best of my knowledge, has not so far been discussed in this forum:

LAN  <=> SMS-200 Ultra (running MinimServer + UPnP renderer) + USB SSD => USB DAC or USB bridge

In this topology, the Ultra acts as a full UPnP server + renderer and there is not need for any Mac Mini, NUC, etc. running a UPnP server upstream (but there can be one or more, of course).

Has anyone tried the Ultra in this setup? Are there obvious advantages/disadvantages w.r.t. using the device as a pure renderer?

The background of my question is that I have been running a similar setup -- MinimServer and upmpdcli (a UPnP renderer) running on a low-power headless computer (a fitPC3 powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU and, more recently, a Raspberry Pi 3) -- for about two years.

Recently I have been wondering whether replacing the fitPC3 with a SMS-200 Ultra (in a setup as above) would improve the sound quality of my system. Downstream the fitPC3 I have a M2Tech HiFace Evo USB to SPDIF bridge (also powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU) into a Naim DAC. Hence my question on the future availability of an Ultra with SPDIF output. 

On 10/24/2017 at 8:01 AM, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi, My name is May I'm working for SOtM as a marketing manager, sorry that our documentation is quite poor but we are now working on it to get you the better solutions for all, but yes, the MinimServer is one of functions that what sMS-200ultra is capable of.

Actually http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:start suggests quite the opposite. Could you please confirm or confute? Thanks, nbpf

I upgraded from the sms-200 to the sms-200 Ultra w/ clock connector option. Very happy I did!

Now, I got the itch for some more SOtM! What do I get? Tx-USB Ultra? Replace the LPS-1 now powering the sms-200 Ultra with a SPS-500? A Master Clock?

Here is my setup: Roon Optimized Core Kit on NUC7i5BNH ---> Wireworld Starlight Cat8 —> SOtM sMS-200 Ultra (powered by LPS-1) -->  Singxer SU-1 (powered by LPS-1) --> i2s --> Holo Spring L3 KTE --> iFi iCan Pro --> Focal Utopia

36 minutes ago, thyname said:

I upgraded from the sms-200 to the sms-200 Ultra w/ clock connector option. Very happy I did!

Now, I got the itch for some more SOtM! What do I get? Tx-USB Ultra? Replace the LPS-1 now powering the sms-200 Ultra with a SPS-500? A Master Clock?

Here is my setup: Roon Optimized Core Kit on NUC7i5BNH ---> Wireworld Starlight Cat8 —> SOtM sMS-200 Ultra (powered by LPS-1) -->  Singxer SU-1 (powered by LPS-1) --> i2s --> Holo Spring L3 KTE --> iFi iCan Pro --> Focal Utopia

Might as well go with the full trifecta.  Since you are using ROCK, add a network switch with clock tapped from sMS-200ultra and PH SR7 to power them all.

3 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

Might as well go with the full trifecta.  Since you are using ROCK, add a network switch with clock tapped from sMS-200ultra and PH SR7 to power them all.

You are speaking Korean to me ?

I already did the FS105 w/ J. Swenson ground plug just for this. I get the trifecta part, but have no idea what the rest of tweaks mean

Just now, thyname said:

You are speaking Korean to me ?

I already did the FS105 w/ John Swenson ground plug just for this. I get the trifecta part, but have no idea what the rest of tweaks mean

Did you have your FS105 tapped to one of the spare clocks in the sMS-200ultra? This is the switch mod in SOtM's website.  There are 2 extra clocks in the sMS-200ultra.  One will be used to replace the clock in FS105.

The PH SR7 is the Paul Hynes SR7 is the LPS with 4 rails - 1 each for the DAC, sMS-200ultra, USB reclocker (whichever you chose), and network switch.  If going all the way to PH, you might need few more rails for the NUC.  Perhaps another SR5 or SR3.

7 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

Did you have your FS105 tapped to one of the spare clocks in the sMS-200ultra? This is the switch mod in SOtM's website.  There are 2 extra clocks in the sMS-200ultra.  One will be used to replace the clock in FS105.

I had no idea this can be done. How do I do this?

also, the USB Ultra only has one clock connector, and I believe this is an input to connect the upcoming SOtM Master clock. No?

7 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

The PH SR7 is the Paul Hynes SR7 is the LPS with 4 rails - 1 each for the DAC, sMS-200ultra, USB reclocker (whichever you chose), and network switch.  If going all the way to PH, you might need few more rails for the NUC.  Perhaps another SR5 or SR3.

That LPS will cost me a lot of money!

When you say “whichever USB reclocker”, do you include ISO Regen, iFi iGalvanic 3.0, in addition to Tx-USBultra?

41 minutes ago, thyname said:

I had no idea this can be done. How do I do this?

also, the USB Ultra only has one clock connector, and I believe this is an input to connect the upcoming SOtM Master clock. No?

Ideally, when you purchased your sMS-200ultra, an option is to get the modded network switch at the same time:

https://sotm-usa.com/collections/ultra-series-mods/products/sms-200ultra-audio-network-player-mods

Since you have your own switch, it has to be shipped to SOtM for mod :(

If the back of your sMS-200ultra looks like this, it has the output for the clock to the network switch (the one that is wired) and a BNC type output for the master clock.

sMS-200ultra_plus_switch_back__1_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.fadbe8ca56ce2233e6f56493137064ba.jpg

That LPS will cost me a lot of money!

I know. I hate to say it but it does have major impact to the sound particularly if you are more after transparency, deep and open sound stage, and instrument position accuracy.  If just needing to boost the lows or highs and better musicality, I'm sure there are other methods.

When you say “whichever USB reclocker”, do you include ISO Regen, iFi iGalvanic 3.0, in addition to Tx-USBultra?

Yes, that is correct.  From those who have tried it, the ISO Regen provides more musicality and the tx-USBUltra, more transparency.  I have not seen a post trying the iFi with the trifecta.

Thanks for all the great insight on the SOtM Ultra! I'm about to buy one, with still 2 things need to get sorted out, perhaps someone has views on this:

1) connection with DAC

is it possible to use a direct connection plug/adapter? (an USB cable without the cable in between the plugs, such as the adapter Sonore offers).  The hard part is that de USB slot on the SOtM is positioned on a 90 degree angle, so I wonder if such adapters do exist?? (of course the combined depth has to be taken in account here: DAC+adapter+SOtM+power cable)

2) direct connection with NAS

I'll be using Roon on a desktop PC (with ssd) as Roon Server, with the songs stored on a NAS (Asustor). Now the NAS has two Ethernet sockets, is it possible to connect the SOtM directly with the NAS, so the switch is out of the equation? The underlying question is (where my knowledge simply falls short), what is the Roon chain of command? (a) Does the client push the server, and the server on its turn pushes the NAS to directly push a song to the NAA? Or (b) does the server collects the song from the NAS and pushes it itself to the NAA? In this case a direct connection with the NAA will probably not be possible.

Does someone has any views on this? Help would be much appreciated!

I understand that eunhasu supports MinimServer and a UPnP renderer. Thus, the sMS-200ultra can be used as a stand alone integrated UPnP server + renderer. With the music files on a USB SSD and a USB wireless adapter in the second USB port, the sMS-200ultra could replace my current headless fitPC3. Downstream the fitPC3 I have a USB to SPDIF interface (M2Tech Hiface Evo) and a SPDIF DAC (Naim DAC). I have two questions: 1) will replacing the fitPC3 with the sMS-200ultra improve the sound quality? 2) can I install Debian on the sMS-200ultra? Thanks, nbpf

On 03/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, FredM said:

1) connection with DAC

is it possible to use a direct connection plug/adapter? (an USB cable without the cable in between the plugs, such as the adapter Sonore offers).  The hard part is that de USB slot on the SOtM is positioned on a 90 degree angle, so I wonder if such adapters do exist?? (of course the combined depth has to be taken in account here: DAC+adapter+SOtM+power cable)

Have a look at the Uptone USPCB - https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know if anyone mentionned it before but I find it is an interesting data point: I am temporarily using a Gophert LPS which displays the amp consumption live, and at 9V on the standard 7.5-9V sMS-200 Ultra, I usually read around 0.55A....this is much lower than I initially expected.

Even when the sMS-200 Ultra is switched off, the value is very close to that.

TANNOY Definition DC8T / STELLO Ai700 / AYRE QB-9 DSD / SOtM sMS-200 Ultra / QNAP HS-251+ / Triode Wire Labs

16 hours ago, guillaume31 said:

I do not know if anyone mentionned it before but I find it is an interesting data point: I am temporarily using a Gophert LPS which displays the amp consumption live, and at 9V on the standard 7.5-9V sMS-200 Ultra, I usually read around 0.55A....this is much lower than I initially expected.

Even when the sMS-200 Ultra is switched off, the value is very close to that.

That's an interesting observation.  On the 12V model I have the idle current is about 550 - 600mA.  It does jump up as high as 1.5A whilst booting up though.  The more interesting observation is that after switching the sMS-200 Ultra off, it appears to be still drawing some current.  I noted the same thing and measured 400mA even after the unit was switched off via Eunhasu.

Does anyone have an explanation for these observations?

Why does it continue to draw a current when switched off?

On 05/10/2017 at 1:12 AM, ClothEars said:

@Pedro123

This is what I do.  Run MPD/DLNA in Eunhasu and have the library configuration as below.

LibrarySetup.thumb.jpg.c4aaf063ec9862a4e01fe28384a2ea3c.jpg

I use "Soundirok" app for iPhone/iPad which is a great MPD controller. I found the others a bit flaky.

In the Soundirok settings ensure the device settings are similar to the photo below.

IMG_0637s.thumb.JPG.2eb27d03a9024af82c60843081cdcdc0.JPG

Hope that helps as it works a treat!

I purchased the Soundirok on your suggestion. It looks quite nifty but while it does play and download files, it does not download the cover art.

I have the same settings as yourself (except different IP address). I am also using a SSD attached to a SMS 200 ultra. I use an iPad with iOS 11 (latest) as the control, and my Soundirok is version 2.9 (latest).

There is a Folder.jpg in each folder, as ripped by dBpoweramp.

Could the collection URL be different? Or is it something else? Strange. Have emailed soundirok.

Grateful for any help or pointers.

Pedro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/12/2017 at 1:32 AM, ClothEars said:

If the artwork file name is identical including the first letter capital (as it is case sensitive) then I am stumped!  One question though, is the SSD powered by the SMS-200 or is it in a self powered dock?

The SSD is powered by the SMS-200 and is directly attached to it. But I was getting the same result when it was being powered by a KingRex LPSU.

It is strange. I like soundirok, but the fact that it does not seem to download the files makes it a not attractive to me.

The artwork is in each folder and its name Folder.jpg is the same as settings, including upper case first letter.

I am looking for advise here as I have SOtM SMS 200 ultra and SOtM 500 PSU on order now.

My question is:

Can I move the MacMini - which I believe I would still need for upsampling sometimes but otherwise not as I am a Roon user in the first place - to another room (preferred) and maybe also close to the main router with regards to "noise" issues?

I have all media now stored on a Synology NAS that would then be attached to the same switch as the MacMini. From there, through DLAN, streams would be received by the SMS-200 thru a LAN cable attached to another switch that will be fed by the DLAN adapter next to my HIFI. So a pretty long distance. Will this degrade the end result?

Or should I keep the Mini and the NAS in the living room and close to the SOtM for a good reason?

Focus on endpoint or focus on the source or both?

Any suggestion welcome, thx

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

1 hour ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

I am looking for advise here as I have SOtM SMS 200 ultra and SOtM 500 PSU on order now.

My question is:

Can I move the MacMini - which I believe I would still need for upsampling sometimes but otherwise not as I am a Roon user in the first place - to another room (preferred) and maybe also close to the main router with regards to "noise" issues?

I have all media now stored on a Synology NAS that would then be attached to the same switch as the MacMini. From there, through DLAN, streams would be received by the SMS-200 thru a LAN cable attached to another switch that will be fed by the DLAN adapter next to my HIFI. So a pretty long distance. Will this degrade the end result?

Or should I keep the Mini and the NAS in the living room and close to the SOtM for a good reason?

Focus on endpoint or focus on the source or both?

Any suggestion welcome, thx

Chris

No need to keep them in the same room -- the mini and the ultra will be communicating via your network.  I'd move the Mini and NAS to a place out of the way.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Dlan are Powerline Adapters right? I'd drop them like a stone, they may work fine, but they introduce all sorts of noise to the mains.

So, if you do mean powerline adapters, I wouldn't use them... If you need to get the lan to your listening room and you can't physically cable it then go for a Wireless Network Bridge which will connect wirelessly to your router, then have a lan cable out of the Wireless Network Bridge to a switch and then connect the SMS-200ultra to that switch.

Get a good Wireless Bridge, something like the Asus EA-AC87 is good if you have a router with 5Ghz Wireless AC, you could do a John Swenson ground shunt on it and on the switch if you like too.

(Oh, and moving the mac and nas away from the listening room is good, I would).