IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

8 minutes ago, ismewor said:

So that is why they call it hybird design.

Yes!
I am still waiting for mine. Want it now!

Analog: Michell Enginering Orbe/SME309/Micro Benz Wood->Trigon Advanced riaa

Digital: mac mini/Roon/NUC ROCK->sMS-200 Ultra/sPS-500->Bryston BDA-3

Amps: Mark Levinson No 326S & Classé CA-2300

Speaker: B&W802D2 & Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra
Cables: VdH, Supra, Ghent Audio, AQ
Other: SMT Wings and Golden Horn, Sound of Science panels.

5 minutes ago, Lassej said:

Yes!
I am still waiting for mine. Want it now!

Mine still at break in. I'm hopping it improve more after 200hrs.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

It is an endpoint not a server.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

Thanks for the LibreSpot info.

I run mine using a HDD in a self powered dock connected to the sMS-200Ultra via USB.

Player app is "Soundirok" on an iPad using MPD.

It would be great if SOtM released more information with the firmware upgrades and made that available on their website.

On the other hand it's always a bit of a mystery what new features will become available when that little yellow arrow appears on the Setup icon!!

9 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

Go for the 12V and add a jumper to go down to 9V if need so.

Hi please let me know what difference the 12v would make ?

I am asking as my dealer has only the 9v units and he would have to order in the 12v 

Thanks 

On 8/18/2017 at 1:41 PM, ducatirider said:

What sounds better?  Adding tx-USBUltra to the regular SMS-200  or getting the SMS-200Ultra?

SMS-200ultra

1 hour ago, esimms86 said:

Does that mean that you can convert a 9V to a 12V by essentially doing the reverse?

No it can not.

I have one of the 9V units. It's actually one of the first few ever sold, it is a demo unit from Munich. They did the demo with 9V units (4 units to be precise). If the 12V unit sounded better, they would have brought those or in fact, they would probably make 12V units only. As far as I understand, they offer the 12V units because some people already have 12V good power supplies they may want to continue using. I have never heard that anyone A/B tested the two units with different voltages and one sounded better than the other. Since the clock board inside can only take 9V max, there must be a DC-DC converter inside, so the unit still works with 9 Volts (this is an assumption btw). 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

2 hours ago, mustafakaiser said:

Hi please let me know what difference the 12v would make ?

I am asking as my dealer has only the 9v units and he would have to order in the 12v 

There were a couple posts on the "massive" thread a while back where I recall it being said that someone at SoTM said 12v would sound better.  I made a mental note of that but not sure I remember the exact details.  Maybe @austinpop can help.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I had the SMS-200 and upgraded to the sms200Ultra. And the difference is not subtle at all, it's much much better, mostly in terms of clarity and resolution. I got the 12v version (because when I had the regular sms200 I found the 12v to sound best). I am powering my Ultra with a 12v Sbooster P&P Eco (together with the Sbooster Ultra addon).

Now I am thinking of selling the sms200Ultra and getting the dCS Network Bridge. It's not that I am not happy with the ultra (it's absolutely a killer network player and the best I ever had), it's just that I admire and respect dCS very much and the audiophilia nervosa in me tells me it's the first dCS product I could actually afford new :) And this would be a blind buy (perhaps even a mistake), as I have no opportunity to A/B them.

I am based in Europe, so anyone interested can drop me an email. I am leaving for Croatia for a vacation in 2 days, so I can bring it with me and ship it from there (no duties and taxes for EU buyers). 

49 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

it's just that I admire and respect dCS very much and the audiophilia nervosa in me tells me it's the first dCS product I could actually afford new :) And this would be a blind buy (perhaps even a mistake), as I have no opportunity to A/B them.

I've been very happy with the dCS lowest priced DAC, the Debussy for a good number of years now. Having said that, and despite the rave reviews that have piqued my interest in the network bridge, there's a few things you might consider before the blind buy:

1) The internal components are not entirely built in-house. The part in question is the Streamer module called Stream820 which is modified by dCS.

2) If you don't own a dCS DAC (legacy or current), you will be limited to AES/EBU 24/192 or DSD128 output. It might be fine for native playback of such files, but if you are using upsampling software i.e. HQPlayer, that perhaps that spec will be insufficient.

3) There's no Lush AES/EBU digital cable x-D

Good luck with your outcome! 

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

There were a couple posts on the "massive" thread a while back where I recall it being said that someone at SoTM said 12v would sound better.  I made a mental note of that but not sure I remember the exact details.  Maybe @austinpop can help.

1. SOtM sells you either a version that supports 6.5-9V, or a version that accepts 12V.
  2. There is apparently a jumper setting that can convert a 12V version to accept 9V using this jumper: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31111-sotm-sps-500/?do=findComment&comment=708971

As to the sound: I don't really know. I think the overriding factor is the quality of the PSU. The reason for these voltage offerings is to help customers with PSUs they may already have. So if you have a Paul Hynes SR7 at 12V, then by all means get the 12V version. 

OTOH, if you already have an LPS-1, it makes sense to get the 6.5-9V version, and feed it 7V.

Chicken and egg...

OTOH, if you got/get SOtM's own sPS-500 PSU then you can, voltage-wise, have your cake and eat it too; it has a switchable voltage setting of 7, 9, 12 and 19Vdc, and this way one could acquire the optional 12V version of the sMS-200ultra, and use the jumper solution (if such is truly possible) to try out the 9V setting - with only one PSU at hand.

I believe no clear consensus has formed on the sonic potential of the sPS-500 against the likes of LPS-1 and others. Mr. Plaskin over at audiostream.com favored the sPS-500 (powering the sMS-200ultra) over the LPS-1 and other more expensive PSU's at hand, whereas others here at the CA boards have expressed differently or not conclusively. And yet, effectively, many here appears to have written off the sPS-500 against the popular LPS-1 in the wake of a few findings that would seem neither conclusive nor particularly elaborated. I find the sPS-500 very capable sounding in my own setup, quite easily bettering SOtM's former battery PSU. Indeed my views on its sound rather precisely reflect those of Mr. Plaskin's, views I expressed in a mini-review here at the CA boards prior to Mr. Plaskin's published review.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

8 hours ago, k-man said:

I've been very happy with the dCS lowest priced DAC, the Debussy for a good number of years now. Having said that, and despite the rave reviews that have piqued my interest in the network bridge, there's a few things you might consider before the blind buy:

1) The internal components are not entirely built in-house. The part in question is the Streamer module called Stream820 which is modified by dCS.

2) If you don't own a dCS DAC (legacy or current), you will be limited to AES/EBU 24/192 or DSD128 output. It might be fine for native playback of such files, but if you are using upsampling software i.e. HQPlayer, that perhaps that spec will be insufficient.

3) There's no Lush AES/EBU digital cable x-D

Good luck with your outcome! 

@k-man

1. The same Stream module is used in the Rossini DAC, albeit a less powerful version, so this is in no way an obstacle :)

2. I tried upsampling with HQP, but lately I find myself using redbook rips 95% of the time. So software upsampling won't be missed. The network bridge will be able to do USB out with an expected software update, but AES is fine with me too.

3. Not interested in one, I will stick with Transparent Audio for such cabling :)

Thanks!

5 hours ago, mustafakaiser said:

So which sounds better 9v or 12v?

Depends on you power supply :) A 9v SR7 by Paul Hynes will always sound better than a 12v sPS-500 :)

But if you go with the same power supply, I think the 12v has the upper hand over the 9V, but have no scientific proof to back my claim. With the regular sms200 first I used the 9V Sbooster and later upgraded to a 12v Sbooster as it sounded better to my ears.