IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

I turn mine off because I run it on a battery.  

I have the 12V version and guess that this is regulated down to the voltage range of the other units (6-9V) which is ultimately dropped to 5V hence the extra volts are dissipated as heat.  I measured the chassis temperature today and it was 40C.

It would be interesting to find out how long it takes the clock to reach it's optimum stable temperature.

I have the 9V version as well. i can say is not hot at all. 

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

I received my sMS-200Ultra today. Will be vey interesting to test it against my Bryston BDP-2 as endpoint to roon. I will start with original wall mart power adapter for 9V. I have also ordered a sMS-500 but have not received that one yet but I also have an Ifi IPower to test with. Will come back with reports.

Analog: Michell Enginering Orbe/SME309/Micro Benz Wood->Trigon Advanced riaa

Digital: mac mini/Roon/NUC ROCK->sMS-200 Ultra/sPS-500->Bryston BDA-3

Amps: Mark Levinson No 326S & Classé CA-2300

Speaker: B&W802D2 & Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra
Cables: VdH, Supra, Ghent Audio, AQ
Other: SMT Wings and Golden Horn, Sound of Science panels.

2 hours ago, Orangecrush said:

Lassej, I am very interested in your comparison.

Yes, me too:). The Ultra is now up and running. No problems with set-up for roon ready. I want to listen to it a little bit more before a comparison but initial I already can say that the Ultra sounds good.
Right now I am using an ifi ipower but have also ordered a sMS500.

Stay tune, I will come back.

On 2017-08-09 at 0:52 AM, rhale64l7 said:

I can assure you that it will sound better with the sps500. To me it is much better. 

Yes, I hope so. I have also ordered an ISO-CAT6. Both will arrive in about 10 days.

I run my ultra 24/7 for 5 days already. it is warm but not hot. and i had come across many other hotter items in audio gears. 

Sound is good. and once again if you had the usbultra please use it. it is a must have for the combo.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

I am also running my Ultra 24/7. No problems at all with that. Not specially hot at all. I am using the ifi ipower 9v at the moment, waiting for my sPS-500 and ISO-CAT6. 
As I said before, the Ultra sounds better than my Bryston BDP-2 as an endpoint. 

Yes, i agree, SPS500 is adding value and sound quality to 200ultra. After that usbultra is the last piece you need.

Had a chance to assess the combo 200ultra + SPS500. 

It really amazing !! Huge and massive improvements from what i have had before. 

Clocks are made a result and it seems that a good clocks is much more important than PSU. 

Btw, it is easy to receive root(admin) rights of 200ultra. From inside 200ultra looks like very simple and non optimized linux based on Fedora distribution with standard kernel (not Real time).

43caf1c07f27188947546ed6d6faabc4b663082c.jpg

13 minutes ago, ClothEars said:

Interesting choice.

I wonder whether they have found they can deal with the noise in a similar way to Uptone Audio's LPS-1.

In fact what about an LPS-1 inserted between the sPS-500 and sMS-200?

Has anyone out there tried it?

The SOtM sPS-500 is a very interesting device. It is switchmode, but dont let that distract you, there are special things inside. In theory an LPS-1 is not necessary.

Why do you want 2 power supplies?

10 hours ago, k-man said:

switch mode

this is from Lebouwskis thread about the sMS-500. Posted July 19.
He asked  May at SOtM about this:

I've asked May from Sotm about the lps/smps discussion, this is what she answered:

The sPS-500 is not the linear type power supply, but we applied the linear regulator circuit for some part, and designed to perform the better audio performance with the special power circuit and the noise reduction technology which we've designed by ourselves for a long based on own technology.

the sPS-500 converts ac power to dc power and then convert this dc power to the desired output voltage, it means the sPS-500 use two stage power conversion circuits.

In the second stage, we designed the special noise reduction feature for the noise made from the connected device, no other audio power supply has this feature and the design in the market.

And the sPS-500 use the high end audio components and the high end output connector and so on, we've been spending so many times and effort to build the good quality power supply over the price range. we hope people not judge the product by linear or switching ps, we hope people can judge the audio product by sound, this is how the sPS-500 is now available.

Thank you~

Best regards, MAy

13 hours ago, mustafakaiser said:

hello I would like to know what power supply do yo use with the 12V version of the SMS200 Ultra? Do you need the SPS 500? I am sorry but I am new to this.

Thanks 

SPS500 can be at 12v as well.

1 hour ago, Lassej said:

The sPS-500 is not the linear type power supply, but we applied the linear regulator circuit for some part, and designed to perform the better audio performance with the special power circuit and the noise reduction technology which we've designed by ourselves for a long based on own technology.

So that is why they call it hybird design.