IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

8 hours ago, Confused said:

I agree entirely with this in terms of wanting a digital front end to be transparent.  However, in terms of the basic functionality of something like the sMS-200, I do not think it is technically possible to "add colour" as such.  Consider that devices such as the sMS-200 and the microRendu receive a bit perfect stream and they output a bit perfect stream, so they cannot add colour in the "bit perfect" versus DSP sense of the term.  That said, in my system the sMS-200Ultra does sound very different to the microRendu, with the mR sounding a little fuller and darker, but they measure identically with REW, and I would imagine the bit output is identical too.  I think the only differences can be the subtle effects of noise (or elimination of noise) and clock accuracy.  So subjectively, the "colour" might be different, but no colour can be added as such, it is just not possible.

In terms of you last point, who knows, but it is plausible.  Although rather than being cynical, we could rejoice in this as continuous improvement in an already fine product.  The upgrade / update price certainly does not look like an attempt at profiteering, quite the opposite.

Digital Audio Signals, even if all the bits are correctly setup to be classified as "bit perfect" are a facsimile of bits called square waves and are transported on analogue waveforms at Radio Frequencies. Analogue waves are susceptible to a lot of "noise". Noise here means anything other than the original audio data. Dare I say that the medium used to transport the RF signal can also change the waveform characteristics in itself. Hence any change in the circuitry means that the converted digital audio on analogue waves into analogue sound waves will most likely have variations from the recorded sound that may or may not be pleasing to one's ear.

Regards

GG

I hope SOtM will provide the option of selling just the power board and replace it ourselves. I have replaced mine before and it is very easy thing to do. That might be a more cost effective option than shipping the unit back and forth plus the $30 cost.  That way, we also have the option to keep the original or go with the new board.

7 hours ago, TopQuark said:

I hope SOtM will provide the option of selling just the power board and replace it ourselves. I have replaced mine before and it is very easy thing to do. That might be a more cost effective option than shipping the unit back and forth plus the $30 cost.  That way, we also have the option to keep the original or go with the new board.

+1

That would be an option I would be keen on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to advise that my sMS-200Ultra is on it's way back to Korea for the Neo upgrade.  I am guessing it will be maybe three weeks before it is returned, but when it is back in my system, I will of course report my findings.

I have also sent my tX-USBultra back.  Both of my units have the optional 75 ohm external clock connectors, with a somewhat over length internal 75 ohm cable.  So I thought that whilst I was going to the bother of couriering the sMS-200Ultra back to Korea for the Neo mod, I might as well send the tX-USBultra back as well and get the shorter cables installed in both.  I doubt this will make much difference, but it certainly can't do any harm!

Out of interest, is anyone else going for the Neo upgrade?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, flkin said:

Mine has been changed and returned. Should be able to comment in a few days after burn in. I had some EMI paper installed though so that might have some bearing on the change in sound. 

Good work, and it looks like you are going to be the first to report on the Neo, I look forward to reading your views.

Out of interest and for reference, what were your thoughts regarding the original sMS-200Ultra?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I didn't find the original sMS200 bright to be fair so this mod would be only to keep it at the latest spec. My sMS200 is a mod version to accept the tX-USBultra clock and is part of a Trifecta set.

I will have to rely on memory to comment about the difference. And with the added EMI paper it's going to be a data point at best, perhaps not the best for recommendations whether to upgrade or not.

Anyway I'll have some comments by the end of the week.

The sMS-200 is device that converts ethernet signals to USB signals that a DAC can read. So basically it's a mini-computer.

The sMS-200ultra is the same sMS-200 but with a better clock board inside. It's sound quite a bit better due to this. A sMS-200ultra with BNC clock input allows an even higher quality external clock signal to be fed into the sMS-200ultra and used instead of it's own internal clock. Again another jump in performance.

So you actually don't need the BNC external clock connector to use the device as it's already quite a bit better than the original sMS-200. But if you want an option to play with external clocks in the future, then it's a good idea to have it. External clocks and connection cables are pretty expensive and can cost quite a bit more than the sMS-200ultra so be warned!

I have a question about the external clock. How do you hook up the external clock to say an Oppo 205? Do you have to then have the device modified to accept the signal from the external clock? I have the clock connector on mine but don't want to send in everything I buy to use it.

Thanks again,

Ron

Congratulations dbq, a great choice! In 12v the burn in time will be fast! 5-6 hours of playing time. After that you wont hear the difference between 9 or 12v . Simple reason SOtM it selves demonstrates with 9 volt at fairs etc. Though a extra power supply is recommended! I suggest SOtM own sPS500 because of a trifecta with the tx ultra b is you want this in the near future.  A cheaper considering is the Sbooster 9 or if you insisted 12volt. Have a happy music listening!

1 hour ago, dbq5anlxj said:

I finally ordered  the sms 200 ultra neo (12v version) last night. I just wonder which power will be better suit for this? any recommendations? thanks

As mentioned above, the Sbooster has a good reputation.  Also to consider, and I would say with even better reputations currently, the Paul Hynes SR4 or the Uptone Audio LPS-1.2.  If it was my money, I’d go for the SR4.  I mean that sincerely, because if the Neo works well with my system, a pair of SR4’s will be my next purchase, the second one for my tX-USBultra.

1 hour ago, Tommd64 said:

Congratulations dbq, a great choice! In 12v the burn in time will be fast! 5-6 hours of playing time. After that you wont hear the difference between 9 or 12v . Simple reason SOtM it selves demonstrates with 9 volt at fairs etc. Though a extra power supply is recommended! I suggest SOtM own sPS500 because of a trifecta with the tx ultra b is you want this in the near future.  A cheaper considering is the Sbooster 9 or if you insisted 12volt. Have a happy music listening!

Upgraded Sboosters will be available soon.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

18 hours ago, Confused said:

As mentioned above, the Sbooster has a good reputation.  Also to consider, and I would say with even better reputations currently, the Paul Hynes SR4 or the Uptone Audio LPS-1.2.  If it was my money, I’d go for the SR4.  I mean that sincerely, because if the Neo works well with my system, a pair of SR4’s will be my next purchase, the second one for my tX-USBultra.

Sbooster is a proper engineering company. Their products have the CE and the rest of regulatory certifications.

No sure about the rest, and I don't want a fire in my hose. 

20 hours ago, Confused said:

+1 for SR-4.

For those interested, the "Neo" upgrade consists of a capacitor change on the power supply board, so it is relatively easy to switch back if one feels so.

My schedule is pretty hectic right now, but hopefully I'll find some time over the weekend to mod mine with the new cap. 

18 minutes ago, tedwoods said:

For those interested, the "Neo" upgrade consists of a capacitor change on the power supply board, so it is relatively easy to switch back if one feels so.

My schedule is pretty hectic right now, but hopefully I'll find some time over the weekend to mod mine with the new cap. 

Is it the large one on the PSU board? 

Did you order the new cap directly from SOtM? 

Some pictures of the cap and the modification would be nice ?

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Hmmmm, kind of supports my earlier suspicion that this is a replacement of a component not working correctly within the specification of the design. What are the values of the old and new caps? 

With my audiophile hat on, if this cap has such an influence on sound quality, is there any mileage on buying a higher spec cap like a V-Cap?

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Is it the large one on the PSU board? 

Did you order the new cap directly from SOtM? 

Some pictures of the cap and the modification would be nice ?

Yes, that one.

I've ordered through the official dealer.

I'll try to get some pics too.