IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

I wouldn't say massive but it does improve my system by a factor of ~20-25%.  I have the 12V version and it seems that it takes a lot more power than the standard sMS-200 probably more than the rated 15 watts of the sMS-200.  The case runs a lot hotter.  It killed one of the slot in my LPS.

11 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

I wouldn't say massive but it does improve my system by a factor of ~20-25%.  I have the 12V version and it seems that it takes a lot more power than the standard sMS-200 probably more than the rated 15 watts of the sMS-200.  The case runs a lot hotter.  It killed one of the slot in my LPS.

It's the opposite.  The higher the voltage the less amperage any component draws.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Just now, Superdad said:

That's only when DC-DC switching regulators are used.  (As with the Aries you owned for a while.)

Huh?  Higher AC voltage has the same response.  Less current draw.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

So far it sound impressive than the regular SMS-200. However, it is more than double the cost. And i say about 30% improvement over all. 

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Maybe the Ultra is a one box solution where they put the sMS 200 and the tx-USBultra in one case? The price is not too far off.

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

On 11/07/2017 at 5:46 AM, ismewor said:

So far it sound impressive than the regular SMS-200. However, it is more than double the cost. And i say about 30% improvement over all. 

I think I agree with your assessment.  The Ultra is a step up from the base model however because the standard SMS-200 is so good it was going to be a hard act to follow.  Not that I would go back now as the Ultra has got a little more to offer in terms of detail and naturalness so you could say it's a bit more terrific than the SMS-200.

3 hours ago, ClothEars said:

so you could say it's a bit more terrific than the SMS-200.

Yes, that is absolutely correct. and we audiophile never stop to improve. 

in addition, the Ultra need burn-in time for sure. Say about 200-300hrs. i'm 100hrs on that.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

Excuse a newbie...I don't now so much of these things. I am running Roon (core, remote, output) on a mac mini and to my DAC (as endpint, Bryston) via USB.

I don't use ipad or likewise remote, I use my monitor and mouse connected to the mac mini and still want to do that.

I am interesting of a SMS-200 Ultra to improve SQ. I know that the SMS-200 Ultra is Roon ready but will I still control Roon via my mac mini or via the enhasu in the SMS-200 Ultra?
Must I have Roon server installed instead of complete Roon?

Thanks!

Analog: Michell Enginering Orbe/SME309/Micro Benz Wood->Trigon Advanced riaa

Digital: mac mini/Roon/NUC ROCK->sMS-200 Ultra/sPS-500->Bryston BDA-3

Amps: Mark Levinson No 326S & Classé CA-2300

Speaker: B&W802D2 & Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra
Cables: VdH, Supra, Ghent Audio, AQ
Other: SMT Wings and Golden Horn, Sound of Science panels.

44 minutes ago, Lassej said:

Excuse a newbie...I don't now so much of these things. I am running Roon (core, remote, output) on a mac mini and to my DAC (as endpint, Bryston) via USB.

I don't use ipad or likewise remote, I use my monitor and mouse connected to the mac mini and still want to do that.

I am interesting of a SMS-200 Ultra to improve SQ. I know that the SMS-200 Ultra is Roon ready but will I still control Roon via my mac mini or via the enhasu in the SMS-200 Ultra?
Must I have Roon server installed instead of complete Roon?

Thanks!

You use your mac mini to control Roon, but ZONE OUTPUT you just select the SMS-200 as an output.

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

26 minutes ago, Kritpoon said:

You use your mac mini to control Roon, but ZONE OUTPUT you just select the SMS-200 as an output.

Ok, just that easy! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lassej said:

You are using Mac mini as control with keyboard and monitor. is there a reason you don't want to use ipad? since you are a mac guy. 

14 minutes ago, ismewor said:

You are using Mac mini as control with keyboard and monitor. is there a reason you don't want to use ipad? since you are a mac guy. 

Just have some "old eyes". Don't see so good any longer so I have a 60" TV/monitor on the wall. I have an ipad also but prefer the big screen. Not using the keyboard so often, mostly an apple track pad.

Good to know, and i bet with 60" the visual effect control must be awesome. cheer.

9 minutes ago, ismewor said:

Good to know, and i bet with 60" the visual effect control must be awesome. cheer.

Yes, it's nice??.

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here runs your sMS-200ultra 24/7?  Mine runs hot as in painful to hold the top of the chassis for over 5 seconds.  I already burned the original power regulator.  It must be the sCLK-EX because I also have the standard sMS-200 version and it doesn't run that hot.  Thanks to SOtM for their speedy replacement.

1 hour ago, TopQuark said:

Anyone here runs your sMS-200ultra 24/7?  Mine runs hot as in painful to hold the top of the chassis for over 5 seconds.  I already burned the original power regulator.  It must be the sCLK-EX because I also have the standard sMS-200 version and it doesn't run that hot.  Thanks to SOtM for their speedy replacement.

I have been running mine 24hrs/7 and it is just warm; not hot.

Steve Plaskin

I forgot to mention. Mine is also the 12V version. Just got a word from SOtM that the 12V unit will have some heat because of the sCLK-EX will be running 12V.  I guess it means it will run hotter than the 6-9V versions.

This is accelerated burn-in.  Burn-in time will take only 5 hrs instead of the usual 300 hrs. :D.

5 minutes ago, TopQuark said:

I forgot to mention. Mine is also the 12V version. Just got a word from SOtM that the 12V unit will have some heat because of the sCLK-EX will be running 12V.  I guess it means it will run hotter than the 6-9V versions.

This is accelerated burn-in.  Burn-in time will take only 5 hrs instead of the usual 300 hrs. :D.

Mine is the 6.5-9v version. I guess that explains some of this heat.

Steve Plaskin