IGNORED

I don't think I have ever won anything in my entire life.

I remember summers at St. John's, Collegeville, MN going out for jogs in the woods and being chased by deer flies, most stubborn and persistent creatures who packed a mean bite. DEET helped, but had its own side effects. They did make me run faster. And evening mosquitoes? Just going from one building to another required running or lots of DEET if it was more than 50 yards. Citronella torches? Minnesota mosquitoes laugh at them.

5 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

I remember summers at St. John's, Collegeville, MN going out for jogs in the woods and being chased by deer flies, most stubborn and persistent creatures who packed a mean bite. DEET helped, but had its own side effects. They did make me run faster. And evening mosquitoes? Just going from one building to another required running or lots of DEET if it was more than 50 yards. Citronella torches? Minnesota mosquitoes laugh at them.

Interesting, what did you do there?  My Dad is a Johnny, and Mom is a Benny, of course.

I love that campus.  So peaceful.  And the bread the Monks make is wonderful!

No electron left behind.

8 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

I was a seminarian. It is a beautiful place.

Ah, alright. 

I have many memories of that place as a kid, and some as an adult when I could see things differently.

Edit: I haven't been there in years, are the Monks still making the bread?

No electron left behind.

6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Ah, alright. 

I have many memories of that place as a kid, and some as an adult when I could see things differently.

Edit: I haven't been there in years, are the Monks still making the bread?

I believe there is a baker (not a monk) who still makes the bread. St. John's licensed the recipe to other bakeries for a number of years. If you have a bread maker, you can buy the mix online, I think. St. John's is otherwise doing well, over all. I have several old acquaintances on faculty and in the community. Met some fine people there.

When I left seminary I was dating a Benny :$

The monastic community built a nice new guesthouse some years ago, and almost every summer there is a month-long retreat...for Tibetan Buddhists.  :)

• 1 month later...