IGNORED

Test your DAC; DXD- DSD-FLAC Comparison Sampler

• 2 weeks later...
On 4-7-2017 at 7:47 PM, oso said:

Sound Liaison has released a handy sampler to test your DAC's preference.

http://www.soundliaison.com/all-categories/6-compare-formats

Test your DAC!  Format Comparison sampler

Which format is best for your DAC? Every DAC has it's own character, some sounds better using PCM files and some sounds better using DSD files...... Some people find the convenience of FLAC files more important. Here on this page is a list containing 2 minutes of a song in 11 different formats. The song is called 'A Fool For You' and is performed by Carmen Gomes Inc. It’s taken from the album 'Carmen Sings The Blues'.

http://www.soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

All the different formats have the same source file, DXD 352kHz (Studio Master). We used the AUL ConverteR 48x44 for the conversion to DSD and Wavelab for the conversion to the other PCM formats and FLAC. When you compare different sample rates always start with the lowest resolution. During listening don't focus too much, hearing is as individual as taste but hearing is also something which can be acquired, like the taste of good wine. You can choose from the following formats: 1. DXD 352kHz 2. PCM 192kHz 3. PCM 176kHz 4. PCM 96kHz 5. PCM 44kHz 6. DSD 256 7. DSD 128 8. DSD 64 9 . FLAC 352kHz 10. FLAC 192kHz 11. FLAC 96kHz

compare2017shadow300v76.png

But for testing your Dac to which format it handles best I guess that whether the original recording was made in DXD or DSD wide does not matter so much or am I wrong in that assumption? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24-1-2018 at 8:07 PM, mansr said:

I have very little DSD material. When I do play any, I convert it to PCM anyway for room correction.

Which room correction do you use and why is a conversion necessary? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, christian u said:

But for testing your Dac to which format it handles best I guess that whether the original recording was made in DXD or DSD wide does not matter so much or am I wrong in that assumption? 

I should think so.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:58 AM, christian u said:

And there are recordings done directly to DSD (without DSD wide or DXD processing) and Analog converted to DSD.

Also very nice in the sound quality department.  :)

19 hours ago, bmoura said:

And there are recordings done directly to DSD (without DSD wide or DXD processing) and Analog converted to DSD.

Also very nice in the sound quality department.  :)

Analog converted?

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, oso said:

That's what Blue Coast does 

Sometimes.  In other cases, Blue Coast records directly to Stereo DSD 256. 

Then you have companies like Yarlung (new recordings) and Eudora that record directly to Stereo and Surround Sound DSD 256.  Definitely worth a listen!

Hi all, glad to hear the discussion on DSD continues!

At Blue Coast Music (our music store for downloads, not our label "Blue Coast Records") we offer free downloads to test in various formats of DSD, PCM and WAV.  Every few months you can download one song.  Over several months, you'll have a collection of music that was recorded direct to DSD 256.  

https://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads

At our high resolution download store we offer up to 8 formats of downloads.  While we prefer DSD we know not everyone prefers that format.  Also, it's very difficult to get music from record labels recorded in DSD.  We prefer to offer what we feel would be the highest quality format of the album as it was recorded in the studio.

Blue Coast Records is my label.  The criteria for my label (not the store) is all the music is recorded live in the studio direct to DSD.  At this time we record direct to DSD256.  If an ensemble is large we may record to 2" tape (which I love, but is very expensive).  We mix everything through an analog console back to DSD256.  

I prefer mixing in analog vs moving into DXD (which is PCM) and using the computer's mixing system.  It doesn't sound good to me.  Mixing in analog offer a much bigger sound in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Cookie Marenco

Blue Coast Music (store)

Blue Coast Records (label)

Cookie Marenco[br]founder and producer[br]Blue Coast Records[br]http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/

5 hours ago, bmoura said:

Sometimes.  In other cases, Blue Coast records directly to Stereo DSD 256. 

Then you have companies like Yarlung (new recordings) and Eudora that record directly to Stereo and Surround Sound DSD 256.  Definitely worth a listen!

The same with Fone Records. Most, if not all, from analogue tape transfers.

4 hours ago, cookiemarenco said:

I prefer mixing in analog vs moving into DXD (which is PCM) and using the computer's mixing system.  It doesn't sound good to me.  Mixing in analog offer a much bigger sound in my opinion.

I don't buy DSD recorded in DXD. They do not sound good to me either.  In this case, because I like the music and if I have the choice, I buy the PCM format.

Best,

Roch

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 9:01 PM, cookiemarenco said:

Hi all, glad to hear the discussion on DSD continues!

At Blue Coast Music (our music store for downloads, not our label "Blue Coast Records") we offer free downloads to test in various formats of DSD, PCM and WAV.  Every few months you can download one song.  Over several months, you'll have a collection of music that was recorded direct to DSD 256.  

https://bluecoastmusic.com/free-downloads

what is the difference between the store and the label?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, oso said:

what is the difference between the store and the label?

This is a very good question and quite technical having to do with copyrights and ownership of the music.

There are several types of copyright ownership that surround music, recording, composing, performance, etc.

Generally, a record label "owns'" the rights to the "sound recording".  Meaning, the record label usually pays for the recording, marketing, sales, distribution and pays the artist a royalty as described in the agreement.  The labels has rights to sell as they need and in some cases determines how the final product sounds as to acceptibility.

Blue Coast Records owns the sound copyrights to the music on Blue Coast Records.  In our agreements with the artists, we have say in how the music is recorded, distributed and sold.  The artists know that they will be recording in DSD or analog tape.  No overdubs or headphones used.  That is the promise to our customer.

I may get hired as a producer or engineer to record in other formats where the artist or label owns the music and will be distributing.  In those cases I may be asked to record in PCM, tape or DSD.  I have no control over how the artist chooses to create that music if I want to get paid for a session.

Blue Coast Music is a store that sell high resolution digital downloads.  We sell the music of Blue Coast Records and many other labels.  Many of those "other" labels are recordings in PCM.  Blue Coast Music doesn't own the rights to that music.  It is a retail seller arrangement.  We have no control over how the music comes to us except to say "no, not good enough for our store."  For the store, we are agnostic in our sales of downloads.  We'll sell what the customers buy.  Right now, the customers are buying DSD... which we like regardless of how it got there.

https://bluecoastmusic.com/

If you have more questions, let me know...

Cookie Marenco

Blue Coast Records

Blue Coast Music

Cookie Marenco[br]founder and producer[br]Blue Coast Records[br]http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 1:19 AM, elcorso said:

The same with Fone Records. Most, if not all, from analogue tape transfers.

I don't buy DSD recorded in DXD. They do not sound good to me either.  In this case, because I like the music and if I have the choice, I buy the PCM format.

Best,

Roch

So for DSD you prefer if the original recording was done to tape and then transferred.

A  part of the Native DSD catalogue was recorded in DXD(PCM)  first and then transferred to DSD. I like their recordings alot but the name is getting a bit misleading?.

3 hours ago, PAP said:

So for DSD you prefer if the original recording was done to tape and then transferred.

A  part of the Native DSD catalogue was recorded in DXD(PCM)  first and then transferred to DSD. I like their recordings alot but the name is getting a bit misleading?.

Yes !

Roch

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, PAP said:

But just to clarify Native DSD does sell the original DXD(pcm) file as well.

They do sell DXD editions of some albums.  Almost 200 albums in that format.

Even includes labels like Yarlung that record in DSD but then generate a DXD version for listeners who like DXD. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 3:29 AM, cookiemarenco said:

It was recorded live to DSD 256 with no overdubs, then mixed through an analog console back to the Pyramix to DSD256.  From the DSD256 we created the 3 other formats for download...  DSD128, FLAC 96/24 and WAV 44.1/16.  If there is enough demand, we'll create the 192 files and DXD.  

But if you create DXD from a lower resolution, that is up sampling.....? or do I see that wrong?

• 1 month later...