IGNORED

What Are Some Great LIVE Jazz Recordings?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Thanks. Ok - one more recommendation. And it's Miles again - IMO ones of the most advenurous jazz/fusion recordings of all time and at the same time his last ones before the drugs and isolation period. The 1975 live Japanese albums  originally released in 1976, exclusively in Japan.

Beware, this is not the music for everyone. I strongly recommend the Japanese remasters not the original Sony editions (SQ).

Agharta.

Agharta-front.jpg

Pangaea.

R-2206255-1331751650.jpeg.jpg

Issued much later but it's the same tour - Live in Tokyo 1975.

R-7338842-1439253441-1694.jpeg.jpg

Agharta was released outside of Japan in 1976, year after its original release in Japan. I purchased two LPs set in 1976 or 1977, made in Holland. It was one of my very first Miles Davis albums, and indeed it sounded very strange and on a verge of indigestible. Pete Cosey guitar work was the most mind-blowing part of it. At that period of time it was not known yet that Miles entered the darkest and freakiest period of his life. 

As most of the electric Miles Davis albums of that period it was terribly transferred to CD format (imho). I didn't listen Japanese remasters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hmm, no Ella Fitzgerald?  ?

She had a number of wonderful live albums, this is my favorite:

Ella at Zardi's

1053276653_EFatZa.thumb.jpg.bfa9683839046ccb0bcdb68a5cb5c003.jpg

385005294_EFatZb.thumb.jpg.4abe646d97c11034c24aa8358267fef9.jpg

Ella Live at Mr. Kelly's is terrific, also.

The famous Ella in Berlin:  Mack the Knife concert was held in an arena, so it's not intimate haha!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 5:26 PM, JoeWhip said:

Indeed PAP! I have asked Frans to do an Atmos mix of this title. Hopefully in 2023. I use this very track as system demo material.

That is going to be interesting. I have not really heard an atmos jazz recording I like,( headphones listening) but if the S.L. guys get into it I will have a listen for sure! 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...