IGNORED

What Are Some Great LIVE Jazz Recordings?

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2017 at 5:38 AM, Musicophile said:

I've just turned my contribution here into a post for my blog, with some more background on each album.

https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/07/15/9-outstanding-live-jazz-recordings/

I'd really appreciate any feedback people may have.

I don't know how I missed this link to your blog the first time I checked for responses to my query.

There are some excellent suggestions here and I'll definitely be checking them out as time permits.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Route 66 said:

I don't know how I missed this link to your blog the first time I checked for responses to my query.

There are some excellent suggestions here and I'll definitely be checking them out as time permits.

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words.

Louis Armstrong's 1962 live show in Chicago is great (the '56 show is mentioned above, and it is great, too, and probably a better performance overall). The SQ on the '62 recording is notch or two better, though; the '56 recording was notoriously botched by amateurs from a local Chicago CBS station who apparently lied about their capabilities in recording live performances. The 1962 show, by contrast, is extremely well engineered. So, listen to both!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 8:28 PM, sphinxsix said:

Just one more :) The only live recording of 'A Love Supreme' (24bit version available as BluRay audio 'A Love Supreme' extra tracks). Many possible editions.

51De+FGHsUL.jpg2460046.jpg500x500.jpg

With the consistent level of your suggestions I sure hope this is not your last post on this thread:)

As it was mentioned already many of Keith Jarrett albums were recorded live. I am mentioning some of them only (solo and band):

- Solo: Bremen, Lausanne

- Koln Concert

- A Multitude of Angels

- Testament: Paris, London

- Personal Mountains

- Standards Live

- The Cure

- Tokyo'96

This is only a small part from a huge volume of Jarrett's live output, I selected some which very dear to me.

1.jpg

A few others (great choices so far!!!):

Johnny Griffin and Eddie Lockjaw Davis  - Tenor Scene

Patricia Barber - Live: A Fortnight in Paris

Hadouk Trio - Live a Fip

Hadouk Trio - Baldamore

Antonio Forcione - Quartet in Concert (DVD)

Art Pepper - 4 live albums at Village Vanguard (Friday/Saturday/Sunday./More For Les)