IGNORED

What Are Some Great LIVE Jazz Recordings?

I love turning off the lights, closing my eyes and imagining that I'm in a small venue listening to some LIVE jazz. The constant chatter and clinking glasses only add to the realism of the experience and don't bother me a bit. I so wish I could have been in some of these clubs back in the '50s and '60s when these recording were made, but alas, this is as close as I can even come. :D

Bird & Dizz, Town Hall 1945 but they are playing 5 years ahead so counts as '50s

Jazz at the Pawnshop has the best small club 'atmosphere' but is later and whitebread

Miles live at the Plugged Nickel; Live in Europe 1967

but recordings may not be as close as you ever come: go to NoLa down to Frenchmen St. in the Marigny and have some food at Snug Harbor on the right night; if it's the wrong night for 50s/60s it'll still be the right night

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

Jarret's Standard Trio 6CDs set at the Blue Note is a summit nobody would be able to climb anytime soon...)))

Does anybody mentioned a recording which is quite properly named 'The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever"? Parker, Gillespie, Roach, Powell and Mingus at Massey Hall in 1953. SQ is shitty, but the quality of musicianship is incomparable. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Armstrong album I mentioned also sounds terrible but the energy coming through is amazing.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Coleman+Hawkins+Hawkins+Eldridge+Hodges+

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

57 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

OP seems to want a small club background

so Newport is out...

Yes, that's what I was hoping for.

The more intimate the club, the better.

I really appreciate all of you who've had suggestions for me. 

2 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

Yes, that's what I was hoping for.

The more intimate, the better.

I really appreciate all of you who've had suggestions for me. 

Can't get any more intimate than this:

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)