IGNORED

Alexandre Kantorow: A La Russe (24/96) BIS

A fantastic album musically, currently at 30% discount on Qobuz (if you can't access Qobuz, you'll still find it at eclassical).

https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/06/04/alexandre-kantorow-a-la-russe-outstanding/

7318599921501_600.jpg

I had planned to purchase it some time already, the special offer made it only more attractive.

It is also an audiophile delight, BIS usually records well, but here I'm particularly impressed.

DR of 12-20 (average 14).

Here's the Musiscope plot, pretty much textbook.

01 Piano Sonata No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 28_Piano Sonata No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 28_ I. Allegro moderato.aiff_report.jpg

Suprisingly enought, this isn't the usual Steinway, but a Yamaha. Sounds pretty good though...

As often, BIS lists the equipment used, including Neumann and Schoeps mics, and all the rest is equally well sorted. It was recorded by Jens Braun at Studio 4'33 in Ivry Sur Seine near Paris.

56 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

A fantastic album musically, currently at 30% discount on Qobuz (if you can't access Qobuz, you'll still find it at eclassical).

https://musicophilesblog.com/2017/06/04/alexandre-kantorow-a-la-russe-outstanding/

I had planned to purchase it some time already, the special offer made it only more attractive.

Thanks for the tip.

I have a few recordings of his dad Jean-Jacques both playing the violin and as maestro.

Last month I finally followed your suggestion and got Brautigam's recording of the LvB Sonatas.

It was the first download that I bought I was was very surprised by the mediocre tagging...

BIS' CDs are quite expensive, even used, sometimes more expensive than the 16/44.1 downloads from Qobuz, so I am considering a few more acquisitions.

Do you think it's worth paying the extra £4 for the 24/44.1 version?

£4 can buy one or two used CDs...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

53 minutes ago, semente said:

Thanks for the tip.

I have a few recordings of his dad Jean-Jacques both playing the violin and as maestro.

Last month I finally followed your suggestion and got Brautigam's recording of the LvB Sonatas.

It was the first download that I bought I was was very surprised by the mediocre tagging...

BIS' CDs are quite expensive, even used, sometimes more expensive than the 16/44.1 downloads from Qobuz, so I am considering a few more acquisitions.

Do you think it's worth paying the extra £4 for the 24/44.1 version?

£4 can buy one or two used CDs...

I agree, their tagging is so-so. I don't really care as much, as I systematically re-tag every purchase to my own standard. 

Note that the high-res is 24/96, not 24/44.

Now whether this is worth the premium is a tough question, that you cannot answer but for yourself. 

I personally don't buy any redbook any more, unless it is to support the artist for albums only available in that quality, as a) I have unlimited redbook streaming with Qobuz and b) always want to buy the best possible version of an album (within reason, and to avoid having to repurchase in the future).

Furthermore, this is an excellent album both musically and sonically, so I really didn't have any issues.

Third, with the current Qobuz discount, I got the 24/96 for €10.49, which is a fair price for me. I understand not everybody depending on your geography can access it though.

However, in absolute terms the benefit of 24/96 over redbook are not huge to my ears, so the £4 may well be better spent on a used album.

8 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I agree, their tagging is so-so. I don't really care as much, as I systematically re-tag every purchase to my own standard. 

Note that the high-res is 24/96, not 24/44.

Now whether this is worth the premium is a tough question, that you cannot answer but for yourself. 

I personally don't buy any redbook any more, unless it is to support the artist for albums only available in that quality, as a) I have unlimited redbook streaming with Qobuz and b) always want to buy the best possible version of an album (within reason, and to avoid having to repurchase in the future).

Furthermore, this is an excellent album both musically and sonically, so I really didn't have any issues.

Third, with the current Qobuz discount, I got the 24/96 for €10.49, which is a fair price for me. I understand not everybody depending on your geography can access it though.

However, in absolute terms the benefit of 24/96 over redbook are not huge to my ears, so the £4 may well be better spent on a used album.

Thanks.

I also tag all my music manually but tagging the Brautigam series is a lot of hard work.

Regarding Redbook vs. High Res, I was referring to some albums that are available at 24/44.1.

Some specific 24/96 recordings might be worth the extra 35%...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 2 weeks later...