IGNORED

"Everything Apple"? iMac issues

This may be off-topic (sorry), but since "everything apple" is in the forum title, I shall ask for your indulgence.

I have a 2013 iMac that lately (today) developed a repeated habit of powering off, seemingly at random.  The only way i can reboot it is if I wait about 10 or 15 minutes, pull the power cord out, and then plug it back in.  Only then can I power it on.

In a desperate attempt to convince myself it might be a software issue, I "upgraded" it to the high Sierra public beta #1 (which is dog-slow btw).  The issue persists.  It doesn't seem to correlate with anything (high CPU, etc) and for some reason didn't happen during the upgrade (which includes a file system reformatting).  

I'm guessing a faulty power supply or thermal sensor, but I have no idea.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I would suggest resetting the PRAM (NVRAM) and SMC first. If that doesn't fix things, you'll need to get it checked out. It could be some component in the computer that's getting too hot.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

38 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I think it is  time to take it to the Moron Bar

I hadn't heard that one before.  I like it.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, flatmap said:

I had an older iMac which also developed this problem.  I took it in and they diagnosed power supply was at fault. YMMV, of course.

I'm guessing it is this.  Oddly, I can compile stuff and make huge demands on the processors, remotely, but it seems to power off when I do something like click a tab in Safari.

8 hours ago, wgscott said:

Oddly, I can compile stuff and make huge demands on the processors, remotely, but it seems to power off when I do something like click a tab in Safari.

That seems to rule out temperature issues, but if you want to investigate that anyway, try:

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Is it just Safari?  I get kernel panics from time to time in Safari.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 6/30/2017 at 9:46 PM, wgscott said:

This may be off-topic (sorry), but since "everything apple" is in the forum title, I shall ask for your indulgence.

I think Chris should rename this forum to be just iTunes, not "everything Apple", consistent with the scope of Kirk's original forum.  I think the Software forum is more appropriate for non-iTunes issues.  

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

6 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I think Chris should rename this forum to be just iTunes, not "everything Apple", consistent with the scope of Kirk's original forum.  I think the Software forum is more appropriate for non-iTunes issues.  

Well, this is admittedly off-topic.  I think if it were only iTunes, a lot of us might not pay attention, if we use other player software.  

6 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

That seems to rule out temperature issues, but if you want to investigate that anyway, try:

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Is it just Safari?  I get kernel panics from time to time in Safari.

Thanks for the link.  I will give it a try.  No, the shutoffs are random, and they are not kernel panics.  It is as if someone pulled the cord.  No trace in any log files or crash reports.  The extended hardware tests, and disk check, all report that there are no apparent hardware issues.  Again, I suspect it is the power supply.  Given our third-world electrical supply, it wouldn't surprise me...

Looks ok:

Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 7.48.30 AM.png

I had a similar issue with a Mac Pro.

After resenting everything the problem didn't go away.

Solution:

Shut down.

Disconnect all the peripherals.

Disconnect the power power cord for about 20 minutes.

Connect the power cord.

Restart zapping P-RAM.

Connect all the peripherals.

Good luck!

Roch

Well, as I was packing it up this morning to take it in, I saw the power cable had been chewed -- puppy teeth marks.  But it isn't clear to me she got down to the wire, and it must have been well over a year ago, but in any case I am trying with a different cable, just in case.

#CablesMatter

I pulled it apart to see if she managed to penetrate the insulation.  I cannot see any evidence that she did, but since I switched cables, no shutdowns (yet).  Plus she has had her adult teeth more than a year.  I am unconvinced.

He's from So. Washington and has a very blocky stop (forehead) - he actually looks a lot like a blonde Newfie, and some say that Newfoundlands were used in Lord Tweedsmouth's breeding program.  

110 lbs. of rambunctious affection