IGNORED

Lossless files contain personal information ?

An apple AAC file contains my apple-ID, email address and other personally identifiable information or details in every purchased AAC file somewhere.

If I convert a purchased AAC music file to Lossless file format does the new lossless format contain any of this personal information ?

The reason I want to do this is the risk of my files getting stolen or copied is high in the environment I am currently in and I do not want this personal info to go with files if that happens.

If a purchased AAC file is converted to MP3 format I assume the personal information is carried over to the MP3? Is that correct ?

I understand that after I convert the files, the audio quality will be roughly the same and that I most certainly will not gain any audio quality.

Interesting question. I did a test, and after converting a purchased track to Apple Lossless, there was no personal information in it. But, I found that XLD could not open a purchased M4A file, which surprised me, because it's not protected. I had to do the conversion in iTunes.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

• 1 month later...

You can use a tag editor like Yate or Metadatics to inspect the tags of the converted files.

Kid3 is free but has a command line interface (i.e., Terminal).

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7