IGNORED

How to automatically sync TV shows in iTunes to a second computer

I have a lot of tv shows (~500) that I've recorded from over the air broadcasts using EyeTV hardware and software. The EyeTV software exports the recorded shows to my iTunes library as TV shows.

I have iTunes set up on my main computer with iCloud Music Library and Home Sharing turned on. That allows me to sync my music pretty well, but not the TV shows. I can access the TV shows through Home Sharing on my second computer and my iPhone, but my wifi network drops the signal a lot so it is not so easy to actually watch an entire 30 minute program using Home Sharing. I tried fixing my home wifi network with a range extender but that was unsuccessful. It would be easiest to have all the TV shows on both computers and have them automatically sync when new TV Shows are added to the main computer iTunes library.

One manual workaround is to access the main computer iTunes library from the second computer, select the TV Shows from the main computer iTunes library and "Import". I tried that yesterday with the whole collection and less than 100 of the shows got copied. I can work on that to get the remaining ones over, but it still doesn't resolve the automatic updating issue. I will still have to manually import new shows as they are added to the main computer.

Another option I tried was to sync the iTunes folders between the two computers using Resilio Sync. That might have worked, but the actual TV show files didn't get copied over to the second computer. Resilio Sync copied over the folders, but not the files inside. I don't know why. Resilio Sync works for non iTunes folders and files on the same computers. There were also issues with opening the copied iTunes library so syncing the entire iTunes folder is probably not going to work.

I haven't tried just syncing the "TV Shows" folder within the iTunes folder, but that might run into the same problems as before where the actual TV Show files didn't copy.

Do you know of any options that would work to automatically sync the two libraries?

Thanks,

P

I use Resilio Sync for a couple of folders with files on my iMac and MacBook, but it fails when I try to use it with my Plex library, which I store on a Mac mini server, but also have on my iMac. I don't know what's wrong with it, but it seems to choke with big files.

What I use is ChronoSync (https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html), which syncs in both directions.

However, you can't sync the library file between computers, unless iTunes is not running on both computers. So you'll have the files, but they won't show up in the library. There's no easy way to do this.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.