IGNORED

Hmm … creating lossless with iTunes or some other app?

Kirk, previously, I checked out the “The complete guide to using iTunes with lossless audio.” When I started reading your articles over five years ago. I experimented and ripped some CDs to Apple Lossless with a variety of apps. Sometime I would create a 320 version, or rip to lossless with these apps and also iTunes. I haven’t noticed that much difference between the various programs, but I “believe” that some louder. While I have stuck with XLD among those apps, I have been using iTunes almost exclusively for the last year.

Is it better to rip to Apple Lossless using iTunes — I probably won’t use another OS in the foreseeable future — or should I use something else like XLD? I notice that XLD uses parts of the OS to do its processing. I usually see this as in the Info section’s encoder:

X Lossless Decoder 20161007, QuickTime 7.7.3.

Is ripping with other apps any better than what I could get from using just iTunes? It seems like 12.5 is up to the task. And I want to rip all discs, eventually, to Apple Lossless.

Yes, all apps use the QuickTime framework to rip audio. The only advantage to XLD would be if you want to use their accurate rip feature. I don't bother with that.

On the other hand, you're likely to get better metadata from iTunes, at least for non-obscure stuff.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.