IGNORED

iTunes media folder structure

iTunes is keeping my media folder organized and I recently consolidated my library. Now my artist folders are no longer in the Music folder and instead were relocated in the top level media folder alongside podcasts, audiobooks, voice memos, etc. The Music folder still exists and still has the artist/album folders, but the album folders are now empty. Can I force iTunes to reorganize the artist folders back to the Music folder?

What do the iTunes Advanced prefs show as the location for the iTunes Media folder? And is the Music folder still in the iTunes Media folder?

The iTunes Media folder is a shared folder on my NAS so the iTunes Media folder is "/Volumes/media." The Music folder is in it, but, as I said, it only contains empty artist/album folders. The actual artist/album folders are now in the media folder.

Can you post a screen shot of that folder, and its subfolders, in list view?

This is the top level of the designated iTunes Media folder "media" showing artists at the top level. Also at the top level are Books, Downloads, Mobile Applications, Movies, Music, Podcasts, etc. The Music folder mostly contains empty folders, as shown in the second screenshot. The medication dates are the result of the Consolidate Files command the other day. Everything was pulled out of /Volumes/media/Music into /Volumes/media. Didn't there also used to be an Audiobooks folder? It is gone and the author subfolders are in with the music artists at the top level of the media folder.

[ATTACH=full]142[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]143[/ATTACH]

The top level of that folder should include folders such as Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc. iTunes got confused at some point. If you re-consolidate the library, it should move everything to the correct sub-folders. But I have a feeling you'll end up with duplicates on the disk.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

• 2 months later...

I've encountered the same problem recently with the consolidation "on" : I moved the location of my iTunes library from one HDD to another and all the "music" and "audiobooks" media are now located directly into the "iTunes Media" folder and not into their nested folders (which are empty).

However, the other types of media are still in their nested folders (Downloads, Home videos, iTunes U, Movies, Podcasts, TV Shows), although the movies which were previously into nested folders named after theirs titles inside the "Movies" folder are now also directly inside the "Movies" folder.

I've tried two different locations for the iTunes library : directly from a Volume called iTunes (i.e. Volume/iTunes) and inside the volume (i.e. Volume/Media Server/iTunes) to no effect.

I use the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder to add media to iTunes.

The disadvantage of this behavior from iTunes is that top level folders for media type are mixed with music/audiobook artists folders. I've "fixed" by tagging the media type folders and organizing the view by tag, so those folders are separated from the others (music/audiobook artists folders) and appear on top.