IGNORED

Specific Tracks Won't Play On Any Device, Stream or Local Files

This is a weird one. I have 4 tracks from The Roots album Undun, that I have rated as 5 stars. I noticed that they were being skipped right over in a smart playlist that I have for all of my 5 star tracks, so I went onto my Mac to see if they showed any signs of an issue. (greyed out, etc.) Everything looks good. Here is what I see:

- The entire album is all the same.

- The tracks were matched to the cloud, so they are now all the same AAC files.

- Those 4 tracks don't play on any device, whether I stream or download the files

- They don't play whether selected in the playlist, or album/song view

- If I do download the files and play them in a non-iTunes player, the tracks play fine

My itunes is up to date and ios as well. Is my only recourse to download the files, remove the whole album from itunes Match, then rematch them and manually reset the playcounts?

Ok, so it continues to act weird. I downloaded the matched tracks from iTunes and when I view them on this PC here at work, you can see that 3 of the four tracks in question are missing a bunch of metadata. (see the pic) I removed the album from itunes match and then dragged these tracks to itunes, but it won't accept the same four tracks again. It won't even play them. I can play them fine using the built in Windows player on this PC. I should have the original files on my external HD at home, so I'll try to upload them this weekend. You were right that we should have a way to report issues with music files. If this doesn't work, then I'm stumped.

I looked at the files on my external HD when I got home and they are corrupted as well. It must have been from itunes, because it's only the tracks that were rated 5 stars and in a smart playlist. I ran them through the XLD app and that cleaned them up, but I had to change some metadata for those tracks to combine them back into the rest of the album. I also used Doug's Script to change the play count. I just found another few tracks with the same issue. (see the pic) I'm concerned that this is a bigger issue than I anticipated)

How many tracks did this happen to? Is there any relation between them - added around the same time, the same file format, etc?

And, no, technically not a "vacation;" we moved on Wednesday, so it was one week for the move, and one week trying to organize things, and take some downtime. :-)

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Ah, well I hope the move went well. As for the tracks, there's no reason that these are special. They are just a few tracks of the 700+ that are in my 5 star smart playlist. There could be more of course, but even other songs from the same albums that are in this playlist don't have an issue. Removing the track and re-uploading the original file works to fix it. Good thing I keep backups.