IGNORED

Is case-sensitive searching possible?

Is there a way to search for lower-case instances of initial letters? I must have imported an mp3 with lower-case i in "indie" in the genre field. Now it is impossible to find all the cases where it occurs, and the auto-fill defaults to lower case if even only one instance exists in the library. So I must retype over the autofill every time. On a related note, if an mp3 is imported even briefly with improper capitalization, it forces the incorrect re-capitalization of the album-artist folder in the music folder. So if you import a file mis-marked "Old 97'S" with upper-case S it will rename the master Album Artist folder and it will therefore force a change to the path name of every one of the 200 or so tracks in the folder. The only fix is to replace ALL instances with an obtuse spelling like "Old 97xxx" then change all of them again to "Old 97's". This adds time to every clone backup, in addition to being sadly illiterate-seeming for such a prominent company.

Is there a way to search for lower-case instances of initial letters? I must have imported an mp3 with lower-case i in "indie" in the genre field. Now it is impossible to find all the cases where it occurs, and the auto-fill defaults to lower case if even only one instance exists in the library. So I must retype over the autofill every time. On a related note, if an mp3 is imported even briefly with improper capitalization, it forces the incorrect re-capitalization of the album-artist folder in the music folder. So if you import a file mis-marked "Old 97'S" with upper-case S it will rename the master Album Artist folder and it will therefore force a change to the path name of every one of the 200 or so tracks in the folder. The only fix is to replace ALL instances with an obtuse spelling like "Old 97xxx" then change all of them again to "Old 97's". This adds time to every clone backup, in addition to being sadly illiterate-seeming for such a prominent company.

I found this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2651381?start=0&tstart=0. I didn't understand "Select all Pop & pop" until I switched to Songs view and then you can select Genres at top left. Presumably this should work for "Indie" and "indie".

Not sure about the other point. Are you not able to overtype with the correct capitalisation?

I found this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2651381?start=0&tstart=0. I didn't understand "Select all Pop & pop" until I switched to Songs view and then you can select Genres at top left. Presumably this should work for "Indie" and "indie".

Not sure about the other point. Are you not able to overtype with the correct capitalisation?

I am not able to overtype without difficulty. First, any existing instance of all-caps for that name anywhere in iTunes must be deleted. Then it can be typed over, but not in left-to-right order; a disruption must be introduced, then deleted.

I am not able to overtype without difficulty. First, any existing instance of all-caps for that name anywhere in iTunes must be deleted. Then it can be typed over, but not in left-to-right order; a disruption must be introduced, then deleted.

As for Pop & pop, I have not been successful trying the solution offered in the thread. And my library is too large; there are probably 300 or 400 GB of tracks with that genre and rectifying all my clone backups would take days.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you've figured it out as of yet but I just ran into the same issue, and with such a large library I was getting super frustrated.

So you'll want to use this if you have a mac -- http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=searchreplacetagtext

And this for Windows (Use the ones called 'ReplaceTextIn--". http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp

Essentially the idea is the ability to find *that specfic text and its case sensitive and it'll replace it with whatever you want. Like I hate all the places it showed 'feat.', and I was doing the long tedious task of going through song by song. But I was able to quickly change it them all to 'Ft.'

Also some Dj's such L D R U are hair-rippingly difficult to find, because you can imagine how many songs would have thsoe letters. And obviously it didn't occur to me to change it to L_D_R_U or something (Which for the sake of argument is not only ugly but inaccurate.)

Anyways, I hope that helps!

Thanks. I hesitate to run that script because what it would do to things like "Little Feat" or "Undefeated" when replacing "feat"! That's just an example, but I think that, in addition to new errors I'll need to find, there is the risk of changing a large part of the library, resulting in tens or hundreds of hours of cloning...

I don't know if you've figured it out as of yet but I just ran into the same issue, and with such a large library I was getting super frustrated.

So you'll want to use this if you have a mac -- http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=searchreplacetagtext

And this for Windows (Use the ones called 'ReplaceTextIn--". http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp

Essentially the idea is the ability to find *that specfic text and its case sensitive and it'll replace it with whatever you want. Like I hate all the places it showed 'feat.', and I was doing the long tedious task of going through song by song. But I was able to quickly change it them all to 'Ft.'

Also some Dj's such L D R U are hair-rippingly difficult to find, because you can imagine how many songs would have thsoe letters. And obviously it didn't occur to me to change it to L_D_R_U or something (Which for the sake of argument is not only ugly but inaccurate.)

Anyways, I hope that helps![/quote

I made a back up of my library before I tried. I can't say anything about the Mac one, but I can certainly voche for the Windows one. Although I think the only annoying thing I found was that I had to be very precise . So it meant doing it like:

feat

feat.

(feat

(feat.

Feat

Feat.

(Feat

(Feat.

All just to end up as Ft.. I've got a library of over 10,000 songs, and if it screwed up for me, I certainly wouldn't recommend it. But that irritation of running it over and over is probably a blessing just because it so accurate.