IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Good to see such attention to speaker placement, Ramallo. Tape on the floor. Speakers well out in to the room. Very nice.

And that's some interesting looking room treatment. Are they pro audio/studio diffusers from Europe?

Bryan

Dedicated 240V balanced power, Torus RM20-BAL. Mac Mini/Ayre QB-9. LSA Group Signature integrated. Eminent Tech LFT8B speakers. Real Trap and GIK bass traps.

Yes, are a pro audio absorbers, the rear wall (Wood) is a membrane resonator for cut some LF modes on my room

http://www.acusticaintegral.com/acustikell-b201_en.htm

I put several tapes on the floor because I have a some pairs of loudspeakers (On the side wall you can see a Quad ESL2805 on the back another pair of speakers), and I try to get the best position on the room for every loudspeaker and I leave a tape mark for the position (I'm using the Smaartlive, tape meter, and laser pointer for find the place).

I haven't a good room, the room have a low ceiling (is a attic) (27m^2), but is a dedicated room and I'm feel free for place the speakers in anywhere.

Suso

Mac Mini >Amarra Mini>Apogee MiniDAC>Ars Sonum Filarmonia SXE>Quad ESL 2805[br]www.susoramallo.com[br]

Dan, great attention to detail, nice acoustic treatments and setup, great kit!

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

actually very nice and clean nice setup.

you should see my cables, I get pissed, ever time I see them!

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

... all of you with nice, clean, showroom-like setups. Alas, mine isn't!

The speakers are Wilson-Benesch Chimeras driven actively by two Pass Labs XVR1 crossovers and 8 Hypex UDC700HG amplifiers. These sound just about listenable, but not even close to the beauty of the Berning Siegfried (with WE300Bs) driving a pair of AKG K-1000 headphones...

Two isolation transformers isolate all SMPSs and Hypex amps, and a PS Audio P300 (with 240V stepup transformer bypassed) feeds Pass Labs X1 pre and XVR1 x-overs.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I think you understated it a bit, awesome stuff!

It looks pretty nasty, hey? I've been meaning to put those Hypex amps in proper cases for ages, but just never gotten around to it. Does anyone by any chance know where I could source some nice amplifier cases?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Thanks, but I just wish the speaker system sounded as good as the headphone system. As I said, it's listenable, but nothing to write home about.

So, when do we get to see your setups, Machinehead and Chris?

Mani.

Mine is not worth looking at, but will shoot a picture.

make friends with your local machinist and have something really cool done and anodized.

PS Audio Quintet Power Center>iMac>Amarra Mini>iTunes>Glyph GT062 2TB storage via FW800>G-Technology 2TB G-RAID back-up>Benchmark DAC1 Pre>Rotel RB 1080>B&W CM-7>SVS SB12-Plus.

Currently in the process of experimenting with speaker placement using outriggers (http://www.soundocity.com/index.html) and DIY speaker wire to replace AudioQuest Type 4 speaker cables.

Hats off to everyone for sharing their systems. Very impressive and cool to see. Thank you for sharing.

Best regards,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Chris, how do you like the Soundcity outriggers? I just picked up a pair of speakers that don't have spikes or anything and I think could use some decoupling from the floor. Did you get the ones with the spikes or the rubber feet?

How do you like the BM6A MKII?

Very nice speakers, I re-wired them though very shortly after I bought them so can I hardly remember the stock sound except to say that the new wires added more clarity. They have a very nice low end and are very musical...of course it depends what you connect them too.

Hi machinehead,

"I just picked up a pair of speakers that don't have spikes or anything and I think could use some decoupling from the floor."

Regardless of one's view of spikes, cones, etc., these devices are couplers not decouplers. They can be used to rigidly connect something to the surface supported it.

While spikes and cones are often used under loudspeakers, another approach, exemplified by Townshend's Seismic Sink speaker stands and other methods, is to isolate (i.e. truly decouple) the speaker from any groundborn vibrations.

I've heard demos of the Townshend devices under many a speaker and the results have always been the same immediate and obvious improvements in every parameter of performance I know how to describe.

I hear the same benefits when using roller bearings under speakers and this is what I have chosen for my own system. For speakers without flat bottom surfaces (like my Maggies) or those with wood or wood-like bottom surfaces, I've used a large marble tile, smooth side down, between the bottom of the speaker and the balls of the roller bearings.

Of course, children, large pets and uncareful guests must be kept well clear of the speakers but this sonic benefits are of a nature I've never heard achieved any other way. I have referred to non-"floating" speakers as "bound and gagged" by comparison.

If you are interested and have the opportunity, I very much suggest auditioning your favorite speakers this way. If you do, I'd be curious as to what you hear.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

More on vibration control:

www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

"I've heard demos of the Townshend devices under many a speaker and the results have always been the same immediate and obvious improvements in every parameter of performance I know how to describe. "

You may notice from my pics that I use Max Townshend's pneumatic support platforms under my speakers. I also have all of my 'sensitive' equipment on two of his pneumatic equipment supports.

Before switching to Townshend, I used Mana. But I much prefer Townshend's decoupling approach.

Mani.