IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

• 4 weeks later...

That was then....

I miss my Weiss. But white box has to give room for yet another black box.

Macbook Pro hidden out view....

4316274494_0791e4e14b.jpg

This is now...

4316309774_b0b31f2c79.jpg

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

fidelioupload.jpg

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

You recognize the speakers, I guess ;-) What color are your Fidelios? I've come to like the silver color a lot, although initially I would rather have the black piano gloss ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

2-channel room

Plinius SA-Reference, EMM Labs DCC2/CDSD, Soliloquy 6.5 Full Range Speakers, Mac Mini, Pure Music, dB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable, Empirical Audio Offramp 4 with Turboclocks & Hynes Regulator upgrades - Power Conditioning & Cabling by Silver Circle Audio

Nice setup Ted.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

AgentSmith...

Is that a Cambridge Audio BluRay player?

Do you take the output into your Naim DAC at all?

Eloise

PS. request to all - can you list what the equipment is - sometimes difficult to tell ...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Very nice, impressive how clean and neat it is, I know how much work it can be to get to that point!

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

WOW! is all I can say!

Ted please tell what speakers those are, and the rest of your system as well...most impressive!

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

@Audio_Elf: Yes it is a Cambridge 650BD.

As requested, the system is as follow:

HiFi Rack Gears: Naim DAC - Naim NAC202 – HiCap – NAPSC – NAP200 – Hi-Line - Harbeth Monitor 30

Computer Source: Macbook Pro – HiFace BNC (On order) – 5M Gotham 75Ohm cable BNC – Naim DAC

Silver Disc source: Cambridge 650BC – Naim DAC

Network: QNAP T219P NAS with 2 X 1.5TB. Network using wired Gigabit Ethernet most of the time.

Missing in Action: Logitech Transporter (sold), need another network client, thinking between Mac Mini or another Transporter or Logitech Touch. Any suggestions welcome.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Any comments on the difference between the Weiss and the Naim DAC? You say you miss the Weiss, and it seems that visual aesthetics came into the decision to change – and I understand that, the Weiss does look peculiarly naked in my Naim stack. I have Naim amps and the Weiss, so this interests me... And do you use Amarra? In which case, did you think of using the Weiss as a converter to feed the Naim DAC?

Best

John

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

Both DACs sound excellent as expected. I have yet to hear the Naim DAC extensively since I do not have proper Macbook connectivity without something like the HiFace, which is on order.

I miss the Weiss for its seamless connectivity to the computer, and of course I cannot fault it sonically. The Naim DAC without the XPS and without days of running in is already sounding at least as good playing off the Macbook via TOS and via a USB stick. One thing I notice is is the Naim seems to sound more 3-dimensional and female vocal sounds more "alive".

But I reserve judgement since without the Macbook I have not gotten a chance to plow through my music collection. Such is the benefit of CAS.

Here is my set up.....

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

Hi Chris,

glad you like it. These are my second Quads. I had 989s until last September. These are much better speakers with even more resolution especially in bass. Midrange, solo cello, female vocals sound so real. I like listening loud but never experienced shut down to prevent arcing. My listening room is round 50m2 and hight is almost 3m. I usually listen to singer/songwriter music, jazz and classical. I grew up on Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Clash so I play them to. Big orchestral works are no problem, room is filled with music and my ears shut down before the system.

I also tried Maggies 3.6 and Martin Logan Summits but prefered Quads musicality. I heard CLXs on show in Munich and liked tham but they are twice the price.

Goran

PS. Great site!