IGNORED

J KENNY ISO-HUB REVIEW

Glad you enjoyed the review, as stated l only had a JCAT Femto card for 2 to 3 months,and it made a big difference

So I wasn't that positive that the ISOHUB would make much impact, the timing, air, acoustics of the room, its certainly a ear opener.

I am looking forward to read other user reviews and views

Damien

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, plissken said:

Is it me or is this guerilla marketing?

That's exactly how it struck me.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi

I am the chap who wrote the review, l find your coments very strange, the whole idea was simply to build a honest story, a hopefully enjoyable read.

What on earth is guerrilla marketing? Is it something your involved in? I have no connection with J kenny, and apart from the issues mentioned, never met  or spoken to J Kenny

I hope this clears any miss conceptions that you may have.

Damien

35 minutes ago, Stellabagpuss said:

I hope this clears any miss conceptions that you may have.

OK, maybe I'm paranoid but it did strike me as thinly disguised marketing designed to create interest in the product.  My apologies if I'm mistaken.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Damien, you had some good content but you need to write to others, not to yourself when posting a review. Write it offline, then be a merciless editor for anything off topic. I've taken the liberty to just cut the extraneous distractions in the edited version below so that you can see how the good content was obscured by the off topic musing.

Quote " Just thought i would submit a review of one J Kenny’s new products  “The ISO-HUB”.

In fact John has just  released 5 new units, and at the same time has a lovely new website  https://www.ciunas.biz/ 

At present, I’m on my 2nd PC based HI-FI setup, I personally don’t like to stream from other devices, so call me old fashioned, I like my Hard Drives in the same box as the PC. Having tried many different software players, jRiver, Monkey Media,  I have ended up using Foobar 2000, I find it offers better replay quality, reliability. In tandem, I use Windows 10 OS, Fidelizer, Process Lasso and JPlay software.

My amp is a Pioneer A300R “Full Monty” modded by Tom Evans, and my Speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 20SE, all modded with 99.99 Pure Silver Cables.

The ISO-HUB unit I purchase is the Internal battery Type, as it didn’t make financial sense to purchase the other units, already owning the Ciunas DAC. The ISO-HUB design is in keeping with  John’s other products, so you can stack units if you wish.

For my first test  I ran the ISO-HUB straight from my USB 3 on my Asus MB to the ISO-HUB then DAC. In my opinion this sounds better than Jcat femto to Ciunas DAC.

Then  secondly the Femto to ISO-HUB , this was even better,  not a surprise, as the Femto is far superior usb output than a motherboard.

The ISO-HUB has pushed up the audio quality up another notch, to be honest, after the purchase of the JCAT Femto card, and the improvement in sound it gave, I wasn't expecting another improvement, it's great to be proved wrong and surprised.

The biggest improvement, is a weird, add hock method of connection, which feeds my music HD  sata data cable into a small  esata to usb 3 bridge, into one of the Femto inputs, and with the other output that the femto has, it runs to the  ISO-HUB then into Ciunas DAC. This is the same method l used before the ISO-HUB.

I think with the ISO-HUB  patched in, it's sounds far superior, sonically, I can only suggest that by plugging your Hard Drive direct , is a shorter signal path, than on your motherboard.

Low level details are cleaner, and you can really hear room acoustics on vocals, it's not that they are new, it's the way it's presented, the timing, the air,  it's when you revisit those old 1980's CD's, and you realise that your getting more sense, of what the producers vision. What is oblivious, that things have taken a big leap in audio quality. Whatever method you go with, the ISO-HUB sounds to my ears better than the Femto, to DAC option,which is no mean feat, it just happens to sound better again if you feed the output from the Femto, and if you use my add hock method, even better again. This I am guessing is similar to playing USB files direct from a USB pen.

I am not a fan of where the voltage input connector is placed, I personally would have preferred it on the rear, by the USB connectors, I believe this is to fit in with the other units, again this a small thing really. And lastly I have found you need to be patience when powering up the Ciunas and ISO-HUB, I found the method of waiting for your PC to fully boot with your programs etc ready go first, then turn on ISO-HUB, wait about 6 seconds, then switch the Ciunas DAC on wait another 6 seconds, for the units the lock together, then you are ready to go, this process also works if you turn the Ciunas DAC on 1st, then ISO-HUB, just be patience, and get into that 6 seconds rule.

Of course if you purchase the new ISO-DAC this operational delay would never happen, and you get the bonus of less boxes, and a shorter signal path, so in theory the ISO-DAC could been even better?

In terms of service and back up, John is only a small outfit, it’s not Sony Corporation, and this is great news, I have found his customer service skills superb, always replies to emails, honest answers, no issues on repairs, returns.

John offers a 30 day trial on his products, so it’s well worth checking out. Just try looking for any used products on ebay etc....good luck, they rarely come up, as like myself, owners very rarely part with them, they are keepers!"

Unquote

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I still have a JK MKIII asynch USB converter sitting in the closet, time has passed it by but at the time I bought it (several years ago) better options were far more expensive and it surpassed the Vlink and other converters I already owned.

This is the link to the self powered model on the Ciunas

https://www.ciunas.biz/product-page/iso-hub-internal-power

Doesn't seem to have any of the hoopla about minimizing device LRC interaction  so that's a minus when compared to the Regen. The fact that you can connect 4 USB devices to it as a hub doesn't resonate, sounds like a bad idea to have your audio peripherals on the same USB hub. But I'm into network audio connectivity, maybe someone who is focused on PC attached audio can share their experience, thoughts?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

What makes you think it is a fake review ? 

I had Jkenny's USB-SPDIF converter a few years back, also battery powered, and it was a very solid performer. I like the idea  of powering stuff with an internal LiFePO4 battery. IMO it makes a lot of sense, making stuff like UpTone Audio LPS-1 redundant. 

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

What makes you think it is a fake review ? 

because i'm not born yesterday. :)

and this kind of adverstising from a fresh newbie member is usual and should be in the sponsored part of the forum.

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

because i'm not born yesterday.

Or you refuse to believe my honesty, and perhaps you prefer to believe you are correct.

If you wish to PM myself ,  l will happily speak to you via the telephone, l think you will find nothing fake at this end.

II have nothing to do, or any association with J Kenny.

I look forward to myself proving my association with J kenny wrong, if you will allow me too?

Damien

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

because i'm not born yesterday. :)

and this kind of adverstising from a fresh newbie member is usual and should be in the sponsored part of the forum.

Let's not get paranoid. 

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Sometimes when one hears and enjoys a product from a lesser known manufacturer one has more desire to let the world know than if one bought an iPhone, good as an iPhone may be, most people probably have heard of them. 

How this could possibly upset anyone I just don't know. 

Do some people just look out for threads to annoy them?

nowt as queer as folk. 

.sjb

Disclosure: I do know John Kenny, he called to the house with extra USB cables when I was trialling the Ciunas DAC. He is evangelical about the positive effects of battery power and I tend to think he may well have a point, it's what attracted me to the Hugo TT. 

5 hours ago, Nikhil said:

I would be interested in comparison of the ISO HUB with the Regen or ISO Regen.

Yes, I am really looking forward to peoples comparisons, I would have purchased a Regen, but as I read into various threads, I could see people where trying different PSU and batteries, running different boxes etc, and simply decided to wait on J Kenny ISOHUB, which in all honesty took to long to get out in the market, so long I got a Femto card. I guess the issue with the ISOHUB could be that many people have already invested in the Regen and other units etc.

Time will tell, and I am looking forward to the views

Damien

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 0:23 AM, Stellabagpuss said:

That's great to read. One of the pluses is the soundstage,almost holographic, l am still hearing new bits and pieces as l rediscover my collection.

Anyway, it's good to see someone elses view.

If you want a real treat, buy the ISO-PS to power your uR.  I have the battery connected to the 5v LPS-1 setting and the uR to the battery and it just sounds crazy good.  This battery technology has me convinced.  To say the background is black is an understatement.  I am hearing music like I never before