IGNORED

Best linear PSU for SonicTransporter?

So I pulled the trigger on the SonicTransporter HQPlayer model and Andrew has confirmed it's on it's way to me :D

This hobby being what it is, I'm already scoping out a better LPS for it. Andrew sells one but as I'm importing to the UK both the additional courier & import charges put me off and I've opted for getting one locally.

The SonicTransporter needs a 19v, 5amp PSU so the Uptone LPS-1 is alas out. Unless I daisy chain 3 of them!  (joke*)

From my reading I think the best options are:

1. Paul Hynes SR7 (seems to be the best but made to order and will take a couple months or thereabouts)
  2. Sbooster 
  3. HDPlex 200W

I'm leaning towards the SR7 but the thought of having to wait so long has me wondering if the Sbooster is perhaps the way to go.

Any other PSU's that I should be considering?

Also with isolation downstream (optical, ISO Regen or both - I have both currently but might take the FMC's out) is the SR7 overkill? Or is it still worth the investment in terms of money and patience?

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Hi Alan,

I have the HD plex 200 with my 19 v server from Audiostore (vortexbox Uk). Its a good choice - clearly bettered the sound.

I would also rather have a paul hynes but then again the  price and most of all lead times...

Good luck

Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

Thanks @magnuska

And from your signature it looks like you have optical isolation in place (TP-Link M100CM) but you still hear a sound improvement with the HD Plex?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Yes I hear an improvement with the HD plex. I have actually removed the TP links in favour of passive isolation EMO 60 and 70 .

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

Thanks Magnus!

• 2 months later...

Hi I use EMO 70HD, yes I think passive isolation worked as good.

Hi John, 

Do you mind sharing a picture or more details? 

I'm wondering how this unit compares to my 19v Sbooster. 

Thanks, 

Alan 

I'm doing some ps comparison tests at the moment: Uptone LPS1, Sbooster, MCRUS and King Rex. My application is different though. I'm trying to find the best ps for a AQVOX audio grade switch and my hub.

The LPS1 is very good but probably not higher enough voltage for you, although you can run them in series. And you need a better feeder ps to go with it, currently using a MCRUS 12v to do that job, although when comparing the MCRUS to the Sbooster 12v when powering a Lumin D1, I preferred the Sbooster with that application. 

Paul Haynes has a very good reputation, but the higher spec models are quite a bit more money than the others mentioned. Sbooster is good value at £260.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2017 at 12:37 AM, camott said:

SOTM SPS-500 supports 19V ... but only at 3.3A?

I asked May at soTm if that is ok requirments for the prestige server from Vortexbox and it is. So I will order one :D

BTW, Andrew at VortexBox has confirmed that the large SonicTransporter will run fine with a 12V/5A supply.  And in fact we have several clients using our JS-2 (choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7A) LPS with the i7 SonicTransporters.

The DC input jack of the big ST units is not ver standard, so this adapter comes in handy to allow use of a 5.5mm x 2.5mm cable plug:

http://www.bixpower.com/CNT-C24-p/cnt-c24.htm

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried the Keces P8 with the Sonictransporter i7?

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

3 hours ago, Windows X said:

Some good upgrade for sBooster and Signature version is a lot better. :)

‘Thanks for the reply. Have you tried the sBooster with the Sonictransporter i7?

*ANTIPODES CX--- Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

Just discovered this topic. Being a firm believer on the improvements provided by good LPS, I was a little bit surprised not hearing any substancial SQ upgrade using the former HDPLEX 200. In all truth, my old RCA cables were not very good and they might had an impact on my findings. Also the uRendu that I am using might also explain it. Cheers Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:59 PM, Superdad said:

BTW, Andrew at VortexBox has confirmed that the large SonicTransporter will run fine with a 12V/5A supply.

Superdad:  I had previously eliminated the JS-2 due to my SGC i7 sonicTransporter's 19V requirement.

For Reconfirmation.... the JS-2 can power the i7 Kaby Lake unit (and it's future replacement) safely and adequately (for both the JS-2 and the sonicTransporter)?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, soares said:

Just discovered this topic. Being a firm believer on the improvements provided by good LPS, I was a little bit surprised not hearing any substancial SQ upgrade using the former HDPLEX 200. In all truth, my old RCA cables were not very good and they might had an impact on my findings. Also the uRendu that I am using might also explain it. Cheers Jorge

The HDPLEX 200 was a good workhorse, but capable of marked improvements with additional low noise voltage regulation at the DC outputs used for USB etc.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The HDPLEX 200 was a good workhorse, but capable of marked improvements with additional low noise voltage regulation at the DC outputs used for USB etc.

Sorry Sandyk, I am just reporting my findings with the older HDPLEX 200 and my system.

It is still feeding my ST and my router.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

5 hours ago, Cyrus said:

Superdad:  I had previously eliminated the JS-2 due to my SGC i7 sonicTransporter's 19V requirement.

For Reconfirmation.... the JS-2 can power the i7 Kaby Lake unit (and it's future replacement) safely and adequately (for both the JS-2 and the sonicTransporter)?

No problem. The JS-2 can output 7.4 amps at 12V round the clock and barely be warm.  The Small Green Computer sonicTransporters call for a 5A supply.  

There are a lot of JS-2/sonicTransporter owners out there. :D

5 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

@Superdad  Thank you. Now I need to choose between power supplies. I will reach out to you directly.

Sure, that’s great.

We build and ship about 25 JS-2s per month.  The batch of 13 we built last week are going through our Q.C. and test/burn-in cycle now. They will be ready to ship next Tuesday, June 25th. As of this morning, 9 of the 13 are pre-sold.

Thanks,

—Alex C.