IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: The Soundtrack of the Summer of Love

They definitely didn't ask the right the person for historical facts or significance .  Like you said, maybe not enough money to fund the exhibit.  Funny how when events and movements become popular they often change for the worse, or get to commercialized ie. Coachella, Burning Man, Sun Dance, SXSW, pick your poison.  I'm sure everyone has seen or been apart of something like this if your old enough.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Best article ever to appear on this site!  Growing up in that era is still as crystal clear as my mind will allow.  But as they say, too much of a good thing...

Aurender N100H, Kimber USB, Uptone Regen, PS Audio Directstream dac, Siltech 550I ICs balanced, Oasis S200 Monoblocks, AQ Red Wood Speaker Cable, Magico S5 speakers.

Great article and it really jogs the ol' memory....the audio is downright awful but what do expect from more than half a century ago...It's great to hear those ol songs and performers just the same!

It so reminds me of just getting into music then...The Byrds brings back a ton!!!  I think that was David Crosby's first group?

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was born in 1975, so I missed this incredible time in history.

I have very fond memories of hanging out in Berkeley at that time.  I was 16.  It was perfect.  I made some lifelong friends ... and a few imaginary ones.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

21 hours ago, Gilbert Klein said:

Wow. Now we are talking. I grew up in El Cerrito next to Berkeley. We had Country Joe and the Fish play for a dance in our high school cafeteria. In 1967 I went to a dance at a local junior college gym where an up and coming group called Jefferson Airplane played. The week I graduated from high school a friend and I drove down the coast to Monterey to a gathering called the The Monterey Pop Festival. A weird group called the Who played and their lead guitarist smashed up his guitar and a couple of amps.

Did I mention Janis Joplin, Judy Collins, Tina Turner(still with Ike) a couple years later at concerts at UC Davis? Or Bob Dylan and the Lovin Spoonfull at the Greek Theater in Berkeley or The Beatles and the Rolling Stones at The Cow Palace?

Good times for music then. There were others but as they say "If you can remember the 60's you weren't there..."

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Good article. A little off on the discussion of early FM Radio though.

WOR-FM NY started broadcasting progressive rock in October 1966 with Murray the K and Scott Muni (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WEPN-FM), several months before KMPX, although it may not have had the "free form" setup of the latter (my memory only extends so far). WNEW-FM did start later, in October 1967.

FM radios were common in the mid-late sixties. We had a large tubed stereo console in our living room with a record changer and AM-FM receiver by 1966 and I had a three box Panasonic unit (receiver with one speaker built in, record changer, and separate speaker) in my bedroom by early 1967. And we were not rich.

Cars also had AM-FM radios in the late sixties although it was probably an option or an aftermarket unit at that time. Portable AM-FM transistor radios were also common then.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

11 hours ago, nrcyclist said:

Absolutely wonderful Jessie Colin Young. Stumbled on his music in 75/76 in a patchouli-laced record shop in Houston. Song for Julie is a favorite. "Ridgetop" became a relationship marker for my wife and I. 

The Youngbloods. They were a Bay Area group. I particularly liked "Darkness Darkness" and "Elephant Mountain".

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 6/24/2017 at 6:44 AM, mourip said:

Wow. Now we are talking. I grew up in El Cerrito next to Berkeley. We had Country Joe and the Fish play for a dance in our high school cafeteria. In 1967 I went to a dance at a local junior college gym where an up and coming group called Jefferson Airplane played. The week I graduated from high school a friend and I drove down the coast to Monterey to a gathering called the The Monterey Pop Festival. A weird group called the Who played and their lead guitarist smashed up his guitar and a couple of amps.

Did I mention Janis Joplin, Judy Collins, Tina Turner(still with Ike) a couple years later at concerts at UC Davis? Or Bob Dylan and the Lovin Spoonfull at the Greek Theater in Berkeley or The Beatles and the Rolling Stones at The Cow Palace?

Good times for music then. There were others but as they say "If you can remember the 60's you weren't there..."

Wow, I have to be incredibly envious of all those experiences. I'm about five year's younger, but that made a lot of difference back then. Living in the heartland, as opposed to the coast didn't help either. 

JC

• 4 weeks later...

Good article. A little off on the discussion of early FM Radio though.

WOR-FM NY started broadcasting progressive rock in October 1966 with Murray the K and Scott Muni (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WEPN-FM), several months before KMPX. WNEW-FM did start later, in October 1967.

FM radios were common in the mid-late sixties. We had a large tubed stereo console in our living room with a record changer and AM-FM receiver by 1966 and I had a three box Panasonic unit (receiver with one speaker built in, record changer, and separate speaker) in my bedroom by early 1967. And we were not rich.

Cars also had FM radios in the late sixties although it was probably an option or an aftermarket unit at that time.

Edit: Reading up on Murray The K, WOR-FM did have a free form format with album cuts and sides, long discussions and limited commercial interruptions. Rosko was also on the station. 

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.