IGNORED

Classic DAC suggestions

I recently purchased an LFD integrated amp for my Harbeths, so now I need a DAC.  I have but a single requirement:  A Toslink input.  This is due to the fact that I have an excellent HDMI/Toslink switcher that reduces all my sources to one Toslink.

Things I DON’T need

1. USB 

2. volume control

3. DSD or MQA

4. balanced outputs

My requirements are so modest, I am certain I can find a nice older DAC for a bargain price.

Two used DACs I found on Audiogon that seem to meet my requirements are as follows:

1.  Metrum Octave (since sold)

2.  Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3 (with Power supply).

I am asking the CA community for more suggestions for used DACs that were good “way back” around 2004-08, but have dropped in value due to not having the connectivity or features audiophiles expect today.

Thank you for your help.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

I think of all the possible classic pieces one might want to use, DACs would be at the bottom of the list.  Not being critical of that.  Just pointing it out.  You probably could spend $500 on a modern DAC that would sound better than a classic $5k or $10K DAC.    And if it has a couple other digital inputs you don't ever have to use them. 

That being said, I would list any of the older Wadia DACs.   I see there is a Wadia 25 which was a wonderful machine (I owned one) on ebay.  It is priced for $1399 however.  Even a Wadia 12 (which I owned prior to the 25) is pretty good.  The 12 was not horribly expensive, and should be cheap now.  I don't know your budget.  Can I guess $300 and under?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thank you for the suggestion on Wadia DACs.  

My budget is $400-$750.  If newer DACs are superior even on the low end, I suppose I could buy a new Schiit Bitfost Multibit in that range (I'll just ignore the fact it has USB).

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

10 hours ago, harmonica2 said:

Thank you for the suggestion on Wadia DACs.  

My budget is $400-$750.  If newer DACs are superior even on the low end, I suppose I could buy a new Schiit Bitfost Multibit in that range (I'll just ignore the fact it has USB).

I am a big fan of my Schiit Bifrost Multibit. I do however listen to it through its USB input (plus an Uptone Audio REGEN) and have never listened to it through either of its other inputs. 

I like the Chord 64 suggestion.

If your budget goes to $700 I would suggest a Benchmark DAC 1.  Volume control (turn it to max and it doesn't matter), USB (don't have to use it), but a really good DAC.  Was a classic in those days of 2004 or so. I perused USaudiomart and Audiogon.  Seems I saw about three for $700 or a bit less.  I would think patience might net one cheaper than $700.

https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/108bench/index.html

I'll send a PM about those.

I think I saw a Lavry DA10 Black for that as well.  Another good DAC.  Again does more than you need.  Make sure the optical is Toslink and ADAT.  Some pro DACs only do ADAT which uses the same optical cable, but is a different format.

I would actually suggest an Emotiva Stealth for about $500.  Does way more than you want, but a very good DAC.

And if you don't mind the small size, the Chord Hugo for $498.

https://www.amazon.com/CHORD-Electronics-ultimate-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B016W1X94O/ref=pd_day0_107_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016W1X94O&pd_rd_r=JEPG6D0KS2GTA2D5V50Q&pd_rd_w=I7fuH&pd_rd_wg=xhyiA&psc=1&refRID=JEPG6D0KS2GTA2D5V50Q

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

I am a big fan of my Schiit Bifrost Multibit. I do however listen to it through its USB input (plus an Uptone Audio REGEN) and have never listened to it through either of its other inputs. 

I'm a fan as well and it sounds great over both optical and coax. I use a Lifatec glass cable.

12 hours ago, Melvin said:

I'm a fan as well and it sounds great over both optical and coax. I use a Lifatec glass cable.

Hi Melvin - Thanks for the feedback.  I clicked the link in your signature and noticed that you own a Bluesound Node 2.  I just realized that this new DAC/Streamer meets my requirements:  one optical input, RCA outputs.  Plus it fully unfolds MQA off Tidal.  If the DAC is acceptable, maybe that's my solution?

11 hours ago, harmonica2 said:

Hi Melvin - Thanks for the feedback.  I clicked the link in your signature and noticed that you own a Bluesound Node 2.  I just realized that this new DAC/Streamer meets my requirements:  one optical input, RCA outputs.  Plus it fully unfolds MQA off Tidal.  If the DAC is acceptable, maybe that's my solution?

Perhaps. IMO the on-board DAC is quite acceptable and is what I'm using presently. After 14 months of ownership I'm still very happy with the Node 2. It's a fantastic product at a very affordable price point. We have a long-running thread here if you feel like reading more about the Node 2:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/27600-bluesound-node-2/

I *really* like my Arcam irDAC.  Personally, I think it's a classic.  Six inputs, beautiful, smooth, analogue sound, excellent soundstage projection and no grit or veiling.  You can read the WhatHiFi review here:

https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/irdac/review

IMO that's a dead-on description.  You can buy one used on Amazon or eBay for $499.  DO NOT get the updated wi-fi version it is not as good.  Just my .02.

ETA: Sorry, I missed the balanced output requirement.  I still think it's a classic, though. :-)

Thank you for the feedback.  After considering the classic DACs, I ended up buying a Bluesound Node 2.  It is performing to my expectations, so maybe today's low-end is catching up to yesterday's mid-priced DACs.