IGNORED

What's a cheap but decent usb audio interface?

Hi, I'm gonna buy a Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Mic, I was also going to get a focusrite solo but decided it costs too much. I'd like to spend £30-£50 ($40-$60).

What are the best available for that price?

Thanks

Edit: I only need one mic input.

Edit: So far, I think the Behringer U-PHORIA UM2 seems good.

What attributes are most important to you besides price? On that kind of budget there will be compromises somewhere, so make sure you don't end up with something you can't use.

Looking at the specs for the Behringer UM2, I notice it is limited to 16-bit 48 kHz recording. A 24-bit interface would make recording levels much easier to manage without clipping or drowning in noise. To me, the Focusrite Solo seems worth the extra cost. Besides giving you 24/96 capability, it should also have much lower noise.

Have you considered getting a used item? For £50 you should be able to find something much better than the Behringer.

It's not about the volume being low, it's about staying within the available dynamic range. Now if it's only for Let's Play recordings, that will probably not be an issue. It's worse when recording an instrument might have peaks not encountered while initially setting the levels. Also, nobody will care if there is occasional clipping in your case.

The Behringer will probably be fine, though it's hardly an audiophile grade product.