IGNORED

Audirvana pausing problem: Solved

wgscott

I think I may have solved a problem I have been having for the last year or so with Audirvana.

Briefly, the problem is this:  Occasionally, Audirvana will pause playback for about 1 second, and then restart.  

I finally discovered a signature for this in the /var/log/system.log file, which looks like this:

On 5/2/2017 at 9:21 AM, wgscott said:

May  2 09:06:20 tv-stereo-mini Audirvana Plus[57976]: Strong issue, need to restart playback
May  2 09:06:20 tv-stereo-mini Audirvana Plus[57976]: Restarted: 0

This allowed me to pinpoint the event, and more importantly, to investigate whatever else might be happening at that point in time.

Instead of plowing through the log file, you can look for any such instances since midnight by issuing this command in a Terminal window:

grep Audirvana /var/log/system.log | grep "Strong issue"

What I eventually figured out is that it isn't simply a case of some process hogging CPU or anything obvious like that.

Rather, it correlated with launchd errors that resulted in constant restart/respawning of processes that fail over and over again.  I kept an eye on the log file, using Terminal and the tail command, like this:

tail -9999cf /var/log/system.log

Another helpful command:

grep launch /var/log/system.log

Launchd errors that occur at or very near the time point of the pause are the most significant.  By tracking down and eliminating the problems reported in the log file, I have managed to avoid the pause/restart problem now for about a month.

Why am I not mentioning specific processes?  Because the ones that might be causing problems on your machine are likely to be different from mine.  The important thing is to find ones that are throwing errors, hunt them down, and kill them.  More details on how to do that are here (but remember, these are suggestions, and your experience is likely to differ somewhat.  I can't give you a script or recipe even if I wanted to).

Arf! nice thread title but it doesn't help apart yourself :)

i thought you'd found the answer for the bugs not just yours.  lol

Mine is really random too... i'm pretty sure it happens for nothing, A+ stops for me like 1.5 to 2 seconds then continu playing the song, it's just the sound that cuts, not A+ stopping playing. Been watching a bit the monitor and those logs but... not an expert. I'm with Sierra and Direct Mode on, but it can be 3 days or more without this issue, but when i think it is gone, it happens again, once in a week or so :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Find exactly what time it happens, by using the terminal command

grep Audirvana /var/log/system.log | grep "Strong issue"

and then search the log file for entries for things that might be going wrong at that time or immediately before.