IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You have a lot to offer many of us who are always looking for more information. However, "playing" with "soft targets" has no place here.

It's an attempt to answer Jud's initial question as to the why. It's one of many. If you don't want soft targets then some fundamentally impossible positions about how computer audio DOESN'T work could be made verboten here.

19 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Seems like you're doing the same thing with a post like this...

Yes, it could be seen as that, but AJ tends to take it to a whole next level,

Can you quote someone other than you (or crazy Frank) saying that?

Since we are talking about people who "show their contempt for audiophiles", that is, the latter who trust their ears to tell themselves something of value about what is going on - it did seem relevant ...

17 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, it could be seen as that, but AJ tends to take it to a whole next level,

Why don't you just add him to your ignore list?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Why don't you just add him to your ignore list?

That's not the point. AJ has many interesting ideas about audio, and I'm happy to see what he says in those areas - it's not about having "silly" fights; it's about allowing a good space to flourish, where ideas can be tossed around, without the "I don't like you!" elements intruding.

Again, this is a thread which is focused on why people need to show contempt for audiophiles - and that's why I'm mentioning here; my thoughts on AJ are irrelevant elsewhere on CA.

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Again, this is a thread which is focused on why people need to show contempt for audiophiles - and that's why I'm mentioning here; my thoughts on AJ are irrelevant elsewhere on CA.

I don't see how your thoughts on AJ are relevant to this topic. As far as I can tell, he is mocking your beliefs and approach to the hobby, not the fact that you are an audiophile. In other words, just more objectivist-subjectivist bickering.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 6/19/2017 at 7:17 PM, jabbr said:

What I've also seen is that certain folks who are industry experts have been aggressively chased off the site -- is this related?

(eg @alfe and did @bdiament just get tired of us?)

Which is a truly unfortunate loss for this community. People who have that degree of knowledge are extremely valuable assets and they are now lost to this community. You could also add Mike Moffat of Schiit to that list.

JC

13 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Totally disagree. It's the one thing we all have in common, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

I'm a manufacturer. I've exhibited at around a dozen audio shows. I'm a member of the local audiophile club, with over a hundred members and 2 meets per month minimum.

So I consider myself "immersed" and have been exposed to literally thousands of audiophiles and nearly as many systems. Most a very nice people. With nearly zero technical knowledge and understanding of physics as it relates to electro-acoustics, nor anything related to psycho-acoustics and perception. Yet that is their favorite pass time, "arguing" about electro-acoustics/perception, not just, "hey, this thing sound great to me and I don't care what absurd reason why".:)

You've just proved my point... all the talk is about being a manufacturer, exhibitions, audio shows, local audiophile clubs, etc.

The discussion should really be about the music... if that's something that really gives you joy... and if that's the case then you'd enjoy good music even from crappy smartphone speakers.

Most so called "audiophiles" don't know their music... or probably don't even enjoy music. To me it seems they enjoy equipment more... and the endless discussions about that equipment.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

13 hours ago, Daudio said:

So why did you come to CA and Display Your Contempt For Audiophiles so Clearly and Blatantly ?

I didn't. If you check any of my old posts I've never insulted anyone (I lost my cool just once with one person who took particular joy in being vitriolic with regards to me)... and especially no personal attacks of any kind. If anything I've been away a long time and the very first discussion (after visiting CA) I run into is this thread.

13 hours ago, Daudio said:

You accuse us of not knowing music, and use as an example a R&B artist who's only been performing for 6 years ?!?!?

And you expect us to take you seriously ?... NOT !

The Weeknd is only an example... the point I'm trying to make is that music is different from equipment... and that most of my experiences with audiophiles has been about equipment and very little about music.

If you really love music, then you'll love it no matter what... even from the non-audiophile radio in a taxi. Good music will get your feet tapping no matter what or where you are.

And based on my personal experience I'd say an audiophile OTOH cannot be bothered to listen to music, much less enjoy it, unless it's on a $250,000 system with $20,000 worth of cables.

PS: I'm just stating my personal observations, not being personal or insulting anyone. The term "audiophile" even applies to me... since I do spend so much on actual music and equipment... so that said I'm even insulting myself... especially for all the times I've played with my system tweaking it, instead of just enjoying the music.

And of course we can agree to disagree... I'm not you and you've obviously had different experiences from me.

But all said and done, I'd make it all about music and certainly less about the equipment. These days my setup consists of multiple Echo Dots either acting as both source and DAC or as a BT streamer and I for one can certainly say I'm enjoying my music even more... without actually having to lift a finger.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

53 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

There is something wrong with us.

I blame the Television, MTV, video games, Newt Gingrich (SP) and the anonymous nature of the internet. 

Why do we devolve into vicious name calling over audio cables? 

Cables do not "sound" better or worse, they sound different.

I maintain that most audio controversy can be explained by the vast variation in human hearing rather than empirical fact.

Why do politicians put party over country?  Because we keep electing them.

Respectful discourse is dead. We have become course. 

No one here on the internet knows if they are typing notes to a dog.

Woof.

I knew it was a dog on the other end.  The give away was course for coarse. 

Meant in good humor my furry friend. :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

11 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

What defines one as an 'anti-audiophile'? Those who believe in measurements? Or those who believe in listening? Or those who don't agree with long term evaluations, or those who only accept blind testing? Objectivists or subjectivists? Digital cable affects SQ or it doesn't? Grounding boxes work or they don't? Climate change is real or fake? Or maybe it's simply someone that doesn't agree with me (and, of course, I know that I am an audiophile)?

I'm genuinely interested in how one would define an 'anti-audiophile'. 

The goal of every audiophile should be to better enjoy music... or at the very least to enjoy music.

To me anything/anyone that distracts from that goal would an anti-audiophile.

In a sense that's even folks who'd rather waste time trying to educate or correct others... instead of simply enjoying the music.

Folks who'd like to start a flame war or watch the world burn... instead of simply enjoying the music.

Take a pick... but anything (or anyone) that takes away from actually enjoying music... or finds more joy in other things would certainly qualify in my book.