IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

7 minutes ago, kilroy said:

To me an anti-audiophile is someone who attacks a regular Joe's views, including mine. They are a minority here but can usually be identified by the person telling Joe that he's wrong, or Joe don't know what he's talking about, or knows nothing about technical matters.

Do you mean posts like this?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

21 hours ago, Jud said:

Seen a lot of this lately, so just wonderin’.

My guess is that a $1000 stereo system today will sound better than a $50K (or equivalent by today's terms) system 40 years ago.  I think it is about the law of diminishing returns....it may have been a big difference years ago, but when people argue today about a $2K dac sounding better than a $100K dac of yester-year.  Then you get the argument, do you prefer accurate or what sounds better.  And then the argument yes, they sound different, but not necessarily better.  It's almost to the point of technology where you can buy a $300 DAC that sounds as good as a $30K DAC.  And a $3K amp can arguably sound better than a $50K amp, and no one can prove differently.  If someone has deep pockets and media can convince them that a product is worth buying, great...e.g. $50K cables.  Someone that buys $50K cables, money is of little importance to them anyway, so might as well.  I have no problem with that..if they like the sound and aestetics better and money if of little value to those rich...great..happy for them. 

Buy a $4K amp and best speakers you can afford and be done with it, unless you have deep pockets, then go for whatever you desire. 

I have been to several audio shows, and heard the best, and the law of diminishing returns is the main reason i think people would knock audiophiles....i knock it myself.  Yes, i like good music, but overkill is overkill,  but if you have deep pockets, great.... I would never knock someone that is always trying to improve, but i certainly understand people that do knock it as well....I wouldn't say jealous...just overkill...if i had enough money to buy 200K stereo systems, i, myself would find something better i enjoy doing than chatting on these forums...i would travel mostly, and spend more money on family, and do other things if my pockets were that deep.

imho anything over

$4K amp

$2K dac

$40k speakers

is overkill and 10 times the system you could have had 30 years ago, and if i could afford more than that, i wouldn't be on these forums.

One exception...if this industry was your business....

BTW, I saw the word "belief" used above.  Here is my take on this:

A major problem is the propensity of liberal arts majors (esp. from elite universities) to believe that they can evaluate all technical matters with expertise, and that notion can do real damage (outside of hobbies).  One example was an anti-vaxer with an elite liberal arts degree who lived in Tiburon.  She was also rich which may have contributed to her problems.  IIRC, her child died.

I blame the science faculty in our university systems for this.  They are busy discovering new knowledge about the nature of the universe (or slices thereof) when they could be doing committee work and fighting the "anything goes" liberal arts faculty who continually have degraded science education requirements for liberal arts, business, etc. majors.  Second, undergraduate teaching to non-majors does not focus on why science is different from, say, history; and instead tends to teach it as body of knowledge, not as self-correcting mechanism for discovering facts.

9 minutes ago, 4est said:

In another forum I frequent, a heavy weight poster's signature line is:"F*ck you, pay me!". He's a pro offering a lot of great free advice, and that sig speaks volumes about what others have wanted for free. I bite my tongue daily to avoid saying that aloud to some other contractor I am working around.

Probably good you bite your tongue!  Know the feeling!  I work in the construction industry as A/V, home automation contractor and I can't believe what people want for free!

David

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

However, causing "collateral damage" serious. I get a bad taste in my mouth after reading your comment.

"" wee bit of fun at beliefs.""

If I may add, - how would someone define "beliefs" here? Are there some tests, some evidence, or some "proofs,"  or level of components, or price point of components that allow one to escape this "collateral damage."  And doesn't it go beyond fun? Is someone calling someone else a "liar" considered more than just a "wee bit of fun?" How do we know the difference between, belief and a real performance difference?