IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

10 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

After all, we can all choose not to respond to any inflammatory posts and the thread will quickly die its own boring death.  But that isn't what we do.  We engage and the more we engage, the more we encourage those who would bait, trade, ridicule or belittle us.  It's a human tendency we can't seem to resist.  Not one I like, but I I'm trying to learn how to live with.  

So true.   I remember as a kid,  our parents told us after we got in trouble, 'Not One More Word' but you just had to open that mouth. :)   Some people on forums just have to have 'The Last Word' and the thread continues with its endless babble and personal attacks ending up being a lose lose for all involved and it even results in some good people leaving CA for good.   Damn shame when people can't act like adults. .

The Truth Is Out There

1 hour ago, Jud said:

more people on the site would identify toward the "subjectivist"

And as I've said 1000 times, none of those folks know the meaning of that word. Otherwise, there could be no arguments, which is all about objective claims.

A "subjectivist" would not care one whit what the item costs, the purity of materials its made of, how much lower or higher distortion or jitter or whatever electro-acoustic parameter it creates.

The only thing that would matter is that is pleases them more, whether or not is "sounds" different or not, because sound has a dictionary meaning. One does not have to stare at, know about and fondle something for a week or months to determine sound. No "test" is required to determine if one likes the thing or not.

There can be no conflict between true subjectivity and objective facts. Only between those who don't know what they are.

28 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

And as I've said 1000 times,

And in only 182 posts!   ;) 

28 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

none of those folks know the meaning of that word. Otherwise, there could be no arguments, which is all about objective claims.

A "subjectivist" would not care one whit what the item costs, the purity of materials its made of, how much lower or higher distortion or jitter or whatever electro-acoustic parameter it creates.

The only thing that would matter is that is pleases them more, whether or not is "sounds" different or not, because sound has a dictionary meaning. One does not have to stare at, know about and fondle something for a week or months to determine sound. No "test" is required to determine if one likes the thing or not.

There can be no conflict between true subjectivity and objective facts. Only between those who don't know what they are.

That's certainly one way to look at it.  :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I've encountered them nearly in every topic I care about, and they seem to start out immediately on the attack

Exactly.  I bet my ignore list is identical to yours.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

14 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

And when I read some discussions about A/B testing for example and the nervosity around it and how people react on each other and the words that they're using, it makes me wonder what's their joy in this hobby. I'm just having a hard time imagining these people sitting at home, relaxing and listening to good music.

+1

Personally I just do not see much difference between objectivists and subjectivists. We are all after the same thing just from a different angle. At the end of the day no matter how many theories we believe in or improbable tweaks we propose we all keep the equipment that we like...that sounds good to us. We all keep equipment that makes us happy.

I would add to this conversation that people who truly believe something seldom feel the need to defend it. If you do feel the need to defend a strongly help belief please do it objectively without a personal attack. You will be far more persuasive.

Let's all focus on innovation now. CA has promoted some fantastic discoveries. That is the gold here.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

3 hours ago, Jud said:

There are folks who've been here a long time who have quite a sardonic sense of humor, and if they suddenly changed that I'd wonder if something was wrong.  But not everyone can bring that off.

I often have a sardonic grin while reading CA posts.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

What bothers me is not so much the 'contempt for audiophiles' (I don't really see that)

Perhaps that is because you are part of the problem, and can't recognize the water you swim in ?

I see it, and a strong look in a miiror might do you some good.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

I find the nastiest language coming from "true believers" belittling those of us who favour a scientific/engineering approach to obtaining good sound. I'm talking about the "you're just jealous because you can't afford the fancy cables," "if you can't hear it your system, your ears, and your dog are rubbish," etc.

The reasons should be obvious... they don't have a leg to stand on... getting personal is just about the only way they can respond.

Best to put them on the ignore list... I've had a few such run-ins and the ignore list definitely helped.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

3 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

And as I've said 1000 times, none of those folks know the meaning of that word.

I would go so far as to say most audiophiles don't really enjoy music... or even know much about it. I'm not talking about getting deep into music or the music scene... just that most audiophiles wouldn't know what to do with The Weeknd. They'd be more at home arguing their heads off... even when in the wrong.

3 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Folks don't really argue about whether they like something or not. That's purely subjective and varies from one individual to another... and the best part is nobody finds anything wrong with it (as long as it's not audiophilia).

Now folks would argue why not the same when it comes to "audiophile" equipment and I'd be perfectly fine with it as long as the individuals stated that... they simply like it and don't have any reasons for the same. However, that's not how folks from around here argue... it's either about hearing something that's not really there or better still let me hurt you so bad and insult your mama that you ain't going to be back.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

4 minutes ago, master said:

I would go so far as to say most audiophiles don't really enjoy music... or even know much about it.

Totally disagree. It's the one thing we all have in common, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

I'm a manufacturer. I've exhibited at around a dozen audio shows. I'm a member of the local audiophile club, with over a hundred members and 2 meets per month minimum.

So I consider myself "immersed" and have been exposed to literally thousands of audiophiles and nearly as many systems. Most a very nice people. With nearly zero technical knowledge and understanding of physics as it relates to electro-acoustics, nor anything related to psycho-acoustics and perception. Yet that is their favorite pass time, "arguing" about electro-acoustics/perception, not just, "hey, this thing sound great to me and I don't care what absurd reason why".:)

1 hour ago, AJ Soundfield said:

I did in this form, but it now appears it was removed. You might not understand it either, given your reservations to my dichotomy explanation.

Yes, it is a loaded question.  My guess is that you can see past that to the concern being raised. But perhaps you would like to suggest a form of the question that would not be fallacious and that you would like to answer? It is my impression that you, along with others, have made a number of recent comments that include humor regarding "audiophiles". 

2 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

It is my impression that you, along with others, have made a number of recent comments that include humor regarding "audiophiles". 

Guilty as charged...Though precisely because I can immediately see things like loaded questions, I can also separate the person from the "argument". So indeed, I do tend to poke a wee bit of fun at beliefs. That there might be collateral damage, perceived or real, is another matter entirely and most likely based on the eye of the beholder.

Or believer in this case.;)

31 minutes ago, master said:

I would go so far as to say most audiophiles don't really enjoy music... or even know much about it.

31 minutes ago, master said:

it's either about hearing something that's not really there or better still let me hurt you so bad and insult your mama that you ain't going to be back.

So why did you come to CA and Display Your Contempt For Audiophiles so Clearly and Blatantly ?

34 minutes ago, master said:

just that most audiophiles wouldn't know what to do with The Weeknd

You accuse us of not knowing music, and use as an example a R&B artist who's only been performing for 6 years ?!?!?

And you expect us to take you seriously ?... NOT !