IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

13 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I miss Barry, he was deeply experienced and knowledgeable, happy to share, a true audiophile, and a true gentleman. He graciously helped me get started with DIY vibration isolation, and always a pleasure to talk with.

Entirely agree!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

51 minutes ago, Jud said:

There will always be people who adhere to the plainly ridiculous.  Other than putting in a couple of words to prevent plain misinformation going uncorrected, drawn out arguments with these folks just give them an excuse to continue.

So why dwell on them?  Is that what you’d tend to do at a local bar or club?  I think you and just about all the rest of us would gravitate toward friendly chats with folks we like, or best of all, folks we like who can teach us about stuff we want to learn.

My complaint is not that there are people who disagree or have another opinion.  My complaint is when a large enough number of people simply retreat to "I hear" and nothing you can say, do or demonstrate trumps the craziest of ideas, then there is no area of common ground left.

So sure if at local bar or club I would end up chatting with people who would be interesting to be around.

On the other hand, going into a country and western themed bar knowing how much I generally abhor country music might not be a smart choice as to where to go.  Going into a  bar where most of the patrons wish to drink, and get into a refreshing bar fight before the night ends also is not a wise choice (for me).  Either of those could still have some worthwhile people in them.  Just not a high probability of being happy with either of them.   So if you end up in such a place it probably is wise to recognize the kind of place it is and mosey on down the road to a different place.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

41 minutes ago, esldude said:

My complaint is when a large enough number of people simply retreat to "I hear" and nothing you can say, do, or demonstrate trumps

Then maybe you, and they, would be better off if you didn't say anything, rather then getting into peoples faces, as is your habit.

41 minutes ago, esldude said:

Going into a  bar where most of the patrons wish to... get into a refreshing bar fight...

Funny you should use that example, considering your pugilistic online style 9_9

55 minutes ago, Daudio said:

To be a bit flip - testosterone poisoning !

Otherwise, a campaign of arguing an indefensible position, thru many posts with raising intensity of ad hominem attacks and invective...

Barry simply stopped posting after a while, and I think you can still see the date of his last post by searching for member 'bdiamont'. I could probably find the old thread if necessary.

I miss Barry, he was deeply experienced and knowledgeable, happy to share, a true audiophile, and a true gentleman. He graciously helped me get started with DIY vibration isolation, and always a pleasure to talk with. Worth a 1000 of the usual CA rif raf :(

IIRC Barry bowed out saying something like, "Life is too short to spend time arguing with strangers over the internet." He similarly left the Steve Hoffman Forums.

Come to think of it,  I haven't seen tailspn post in quite awhile either.

We should direct  anyone with complaints to Steve Guttenberg  who has publicly embraced his inner audiophile.

15 minutes ago, Northern_Canuck said:

I have been following CA for years and have learned a lot from many of the posters - thank you!

BTW - Does CA offer a filter to block specific users posts? Now that would be very useful addition to create your own "Troll Filter" :)

We've had this for many years. Now you can even ignore certain topics / threads. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I've always felt off put there are so many unheard, unplayed, unrecorded, and unrecognized composers in our long history of music.  The sad truth is bitter sweetness makes a better initial sell than a subtle sweetness that is not always there nor appearing as a comely effervescence which fades in and out.  A night on bare mountain envisioning dark evil spirits in musical form a risque undertaking sure to be more popular than a common mountain dweller's daily return to his cabin blind to all but the most immediate of beauty that surrounds him as he buries his chin against the onslaught of the winds.  

When this place can withstand a withering piece of humor by recognizing it as a withering piece of humor, it will be on the right track.  Being selective of who has a voice yet welcoming to new ones, on the internet, just isn't feasible right now.  So other staples of human interaction need to be recruited.  If revolution means finding good to dwell upon it doesn't stop being a revolution.  That has less to do with currying favor from screen names with a cabal of followers than setting a few known divisive topics aside until a later date.  Hopefully a time when an all out war is less desired than a vigorous clearing of the air.  Numerous people have stated numerous ways that everyone laying down their arms would effect a very positive change in the current climate of amelioration.

I've found need to express this numerous times in life recently.  

Respectfully, chill out.  Everyone.

5 hours ago, jabbr said:

What I've also seen is that certain folks who are industry experts have been aggressively chased off the site -- is this related?

(eg @alfe and did @bdiament just get tired of us?)

You're working in the industry now, right?  I greatly appreciate your posts, especially addressing the very dense DAC architecture questions, etc.

5 hours ago, Daudio said:

No, he was driven off by @YashN. I witnessed the whole ugly business :(

5 hours ago, Daudio said:

I miss Barry, he was deeply experienced and knowledgeable, happy to share, a true audiophile, and a true gentleman. He graciously helped me get started with DIY vibration isolation, and always a pleasure to talk with. Worth a 1000 of the usual CA rif raf :(

Yeah, Barry was a bright star around here.  I'd like to hear more from mitchco in the forums, but I'm very happy Chris has taken him on for articles.  Well done!

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Gee thanks!

I was going to say the same thing, that the open-yet-cautious-minded folk are just toast.  Sorry Jud, you must take the fall for the rest of us, miss you buddy!  Seriously, I think you handle the dubious claims and careless dismissals as well as anyone on the forum.   

4 hours ago, esimms86 said:

Come to think of it,  I haven't seen tailspn post in quite awhile either.

He's back!  Busy man though, so give him upvotes when he posts!

Oops, I wanted to put the below comment on top, but anyhow...

This topic is the reason I use my full, real name.  I do it everywhere except skiing forums, where travel security makes it unsafe.  It makes you deal with mistakes, which is terribly humbling.  I like forums such as Pro Recording Workshop where it is a rule.  You can have monikers, but your real name must appear on your public profile.  I'm not saying Chris should implement the requirement here, but it's reasonable to demand it from people whose posts border on abuse, or spread disinformation.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

There does seem to be an overall degradation of the quality of discourse, at least in the US.  There is far too much emphasis on identifying with a team (or political party) and scoring cheap shots, and far too little honest deliberative discourse.  I would much rather learn something new, rather than be right about some trivial point.  There was a grain of truth in my earlier snarky comment -- those guys won't learn anything from each other because they are all in agreement.  If you can learn something new and different from someone who has an opposite point of view, it seems like everyone comes out better for it.  But you don't get that unless you have an honest exchange of viewpoints.  Disagreements about facts are fine.  Disagreements that come down to partisan identity BS gets us nowhere. That's why I find labels like "objectivist" or "subjectivist" counterproductive.

If I could like this 20 times under the forum rules, I would.  Nailed it (here *and* elsewhere).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

sometimes it appears this site has slowly gained the apperance of a bunch of guys in a park, on a bench playing checkers...the topics are often more click bait than useful.

ya, I think we're not talking about audio enough...(post number 22,879)..,your move

well, but those guys with their usb delusions really get to me...(post 12879)...your move

10 hours ago, esldude said:

My complaint is not that there are people who disagree or have another opinion.  My complaint is when a large enough number of people simply retreat to "I hear" and nothing you can say, do or demonstrate trumps the craziest of ideas, then there is no area of common ground left.

So sure if at local bar or club I would end up chatting with people who would be interesting to be around.

On the other hand, going into a country and western themed bar knowing how much I generally abhor country music might not be a smart choice as to where to go.  Going into a  bar where most of the patrons wish to drink, and get into a refreshing bar fight before the night ends also is not a wise choice (for me).  Either of those could still have some worthwhile people in them.  Just not a high probability of being happy with either of them.   So if you end up in such a place it probably is wise to recognize the kind of place it is and mosey on down the road to a different place.

Interesting that after a recently locked thread, I heard from "objectivists" who talked about how much the thread was veering off the rails into fantasy-land, and "subjectivists" who felt folks who wanted to give some credence to anecdotal listening impressions were really getting it in the neck in that thread.

This is what happens when, instead of offering up information for those who might choose to take it in, we treat posts as "first downs" or "scores" for the "other team."  If you look at things that way, there are plenty of folks on both sides and neither side is ever going to win, so you're doomed to dissatisfaction.  On the other hand, it also means there are plenty of folks who *are* ready to listen to you.

Face it folks, there are going to be precious few if any Road to Damascus moments here, where someone drops to his or her electronic knees and types "The scales have fallen from mine eyes!"  It doesn't work like that here, and hardly ever does anywhere.  More often, people slowly come to understand that you may have something worthwhile to say, if you try to be factual (whether that is about your anecdotal experience or engineering or scientific facts), respectful, and even possibly helpful.  (Sometimes folks can try to be helpful in a less than respectful way, then wonder why their suggestions aren't taken up more readily, which reminds me of Mark Twain's remarks about the missionaries who brought civilization to the savages of the Hawaiian Islands, thus helping them to see the disadvantages of running around in a perfect climate nearly naked, versus the advantages of wearing dark wool suits and dress shoes.)  There was at least one recent thread about grounding methods where I was very grateful that @Speedskater chimed in to help keep people from experimenting in such a way as to possibly fry themselves.  Some people may have taken this as raining on their experimental parade, but I reckon a live experimenting audiophile is better than a dead 'un.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, pkane2001 said:

I put two of the more aggressive offenders on my ignore list, and I have to say that I now have a much more enjoyable and peaceful time reading CA forums. I highly recommend this feature!

Yup, that works - oh wait, maybe you're not seeing this....  ;)

I have very few people on my ignore list and always regret putting folks there, in contrast to @wgscott, who takes a savage personal glee in it!  :)

Just now, Jud said:

Yup, that works - oh wait, maybe you're not seeing this....  ;)

I have very few people on my ignore list and always regret putting folks there, in contrast to @wgscott, who takes a savage personal glee in it!  :)

Jud, I see all your posts and enjoy them, even if I don't always agree. You'd be the last person I'd put on my ignore list :)

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

I find the nastiest language coming from "true believers" belittling those of us who favour a scientific/engineering approach to obtaining good sound. I'm talking about the "you're just jealous because you can't afford the fancy cables," "if you can't hear it your system, your ears, and your dog are rubbish," etc.

I would guess that both overall and among the more frequent posters, more people on the site would identify toward the "subjectivist" than the "objectivist" end of the spectrum.  So I do think it's especially incumbent on the subjectivist folks not to turn defensive when posts they feel are "objectivist" are put up.

But for all of us, becoming defensive simply means we become two camps lobbing arguments at each other over the castle walls, not people having a discussion that can result in folks learning things they didn't know before.  Having helpful facts is important, but presentation is as well.  There are folks who've been here a long time who have quite a sardonic sense of humor, and if they suddenly changed that I'd wonder if something was wrong.  But not everyone can bring that off.