IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

25 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

My sincere hope is that no one calls millions and millions of educated folks who experience positive effects of those bracelets, gullible plebeians. It would really reek of hypocrisy to dismiss the perceptions of others, just because one thought something is scientifically absurd and without objective basis, like controlled testing of efficacy.

Please stop posting this rubbish.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Just now, Superdad said:

But Jonathan, such is expressly dismissed!  :P

Seriously though.  This is the crux of the "battle."

I think so, which is why I'm discussing this here. We need to be honest with ourselves about how we each make decisions. I've thought "wouldn't it be cool if I could make a DAC with an automatic phase error measurement system that could tell us when different tweaks had different effects" but y'now at the end of the day I don't think very many people would actually buy it, and likely not enough to go to the effort of commercializing --I don't underestimate that work ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Life isn't black or white / all or nothing. 

Sometimes it is.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

I think so, which is why I'm discussing this here. We need to be honest with ourselves about how we each make decisions. I've thought "wouldn't it be cool if I could make a DAC with an automatic phase error measurement system that could tell us when different tweaks had different effects" but y'now at the end of the day I don't think very many people would actually buy it, and likely not enough to go to the effort of commercializing --I don't underestimate that work ;) 

Proof that great minds think alike!: x-D

John has come up with a method (I don't recall the tech details, think it was power supply related) for a circuit in a DAC to allow the dialing up and down of phase noise--specifically for lots of people to test their sensitivity to such.  He proposed putting it in an inexpensive DAC design (one that would sound quite good anyway).   It would be interesting, but I'm not in a rush to put such into production.  

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Yup, shielding and balanced operation, isolation transformers, etc., should certainly help with many aspects of noise.  How many of you folks have measured noise in your systems with and without these components, then conducted thorough, reliable blind tests to make sure any measured differences were audible?

there are two forms of noise in this  complex situation - real and imaginary -- voltage & phase :) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

43 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, some things are black and white, such as my first television. A 12" black & white.

Still have my first TV.  12 inch b&w.  All vacuum tube and still works.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I'm currently using an ethernet USB extender that allows me to place my PC in another room. As a side benefit, it also provides some level of galvanic isolation, regeneration (hub) and a separate source of power to the outgoing USB. In a blind test (and even in a sighted test) I can't find a difference between the ethernet extension and a straight, short USB cable. My chain includes an SU-1 DDC, so perhaps that eliminates some of the differences that would otherwise be audible.

I'd be willing to try the Corning cable, as well. I'd probably want to see if the two copper wires could be interrupted and fed with a separate power supply. And yes, I will conduct blind tests to confirm if I can really hear the difference. I also do try to measure all new components for noise and jitter at the output of the DAC, but admittedly, my measurement equipment is not the best: a Behringer 24/96 ADC feeding an older Macbook with a Toslink input.

Yes, but what kind of blind test?  Not something that involves switching in 2-4 seconds, surely?  I know these sorts of “nudge, nudge, wink, wink” blind tests aren’t subject to some of the same problems as sighted ones.  But that seems to me akin to saying “I may not be taking any drugs to help my arthritis, but at least I’m not wearing one of those stupid bracelets!”

I’m interested in what attracted you to the idea of the SU-1.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I agree consistency is nice. However, consider all the scientists and engineers who also believe in a higher power or god(s). Very inconsistent belief, but we don't throw out all their beliefs because of one belief. 

At risk of straying off-topic, in the case of scientists, that number is comparatively few (about 7% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences).  In the (admittedly extreme) case of Francis Collins, it does make me worry about many of his other beliefs.