IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

4 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Yep, you have indeed confirmed why only the analog output (and measures) matters, not all the other hokum.

Thanks.:)

That's what I asked Gordon to weigh in on, as he listed a series of ways that a USB device could could conduct/reduce "noise"  to a DAC The question in the end is not whether a USB device reduces "noise", but whether this reduction is actually relevant to the analog sound produced.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

33 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, good test! The lushness of solo violin, and the soaring quality of a good string section can be fully realised in a competent rig - early in my exploration of what's possible in audio I went to live performances, and sometimes was disappointed by the "real thing", in comparison - I particularly remember a piano recital, where the quality of sound of the instrument really missed the grade.

The main reason why, of course, is because a recording is usually captured in the very best location, with everything optimised to secure a premium performance.

As far as I know, recorded violins will sound harsh/bright when close-mic'ed and/or if the frequency response of the mic is not flat and/or the electronics are not up to par.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 hours ago, Teresa said:
===========================================================
On 6/20/2017 at 0:49 PM, beerandmusic said:

My guess is that a $1000 stereo system today will sound better than a $50K (or equivalent by today's terms) system 40 years ago.  I think it is about the law of diminishing returns....it may have been a big difference years ago, but when people argue today about a $2K dac sounding better than a $100K dac of yester-year.  Then you get the argument, do you prefer accurate or what sounds better.  And then the argument yes, they sound different, but not necessarily better.  It's almost to the point of technology where you can buy a $300 DAC that sounds as good as a $30K DAC.  And a $3K amp can arguably sound better than a $50K amp, and no one can prove differently.  If someone has deep pockets and media can convince them that a product is worth buying, great...e.g. $50K cables.  Someone that buys $50K cables, money is of little importance to them anyway, so might as well.  I have no problem with that..if they like the sound and aestetics better and money if of little value to those rich...great..happy for them. 

Buy a $4K amp and best speakers you can afford and be done with it, unless you have deep pockets, then go for whatever you desire. 

I have been to several audio shows, and heard the best, and the law of diminishing returns is the main reason i think people would knock audiophiles....i knock it myself.  Yes, i like good music, but overkill is overkill,  but if you have deep pockets, great.... I would never knock someone that is always trying to improve, but i certainly understand people that do knock it as well....I wouldn't say jealous...just overkill...if i had enough money to buy 200K stereo systems, i, myself would find something better i enjoy doing than chatting on these forums...i would travel mostly, and spend more money on family, and do other things if my pockets were that deep.

imho anything over

$4K amp

$2K dac

$40k speakers

is overkill and 10 times the system you could have had 30 years ago, and if i could afford more than that, i wouldn't be on these forums.

One exception...if this industry was your business....

===========================

Interesting post and I agree with much of it. However, I too have heard great sounding equipment at audio shows playing Telarc and other audiophile SACDs I brought with me. But I never got bitten by the audio nervosa bug, I guess because I'm thrifty (or a cheapskate) depending who you talk to. I know I don't have the finest audio equipment and I don't care. I enjoy my music played through it and I selected what sounded the most realistic and enjoyable that I could find on my budget. I am a poor audiophile.

More importantly I don't feel the need to try to disrespect people who own very high priced high-end equipment. If they can afford it that's great by me.

I generally keep audio equipment until it breaks or is too expensive to repair. My price limit per component is $1,000, but I try to find something I like for $500 or less, $200 is even better, so I listen a lot, buy on sale, clearance, demo and used. I bought my Infinity Reference Standard 7 Kappa's on clearance for half price, 25 years ago, instead of $1,400 for the pair, they were only $700 for the pair.

So the maximum for me (using your example) would be

$1K amp

$1K dac

$1k speakers

But I will try my best to find something I like for less than that.

=============

Doesn't sound like we disagree at much at all....i even had Kappas for a period and thought they were great.

If I had $3K, i would get a used $2K amp, $800 speakers and $200 DAC.   I am surprised that you would spend as much on a dac as speakers though...and it wasn't until I bought a better amp that i really appreciated bang for the buck.  I am curious what DAC you have that you think is worth spending $1K on when you aren't willing to spend more on speakers or amp.  I personally haven't found a DAC that is worth a premium over an IFI as compared to speakers or amp. 

3 hours ago, firedog said:

That's what I asked Gordon to weigh in on, as he listed a series of ways that a USB device could could conduct/reduce "noise"  to a DAC The question in the end is not whether a USB device reduces "noise", but whether this reduction is actually relevant to the analog sound produced.

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to speak for Gordon but we could discuss which measurements would be appropriate -- another topic -- but there really aren't any that are published by the manufacturers of the cables -- he said he didn't think they have the equipment

I have suggested that one measure would be the analogue output line width of a pure digital tone fed into the DAC.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to speak for Gordon but we could discuss which measurements would be appropriate -- another topic -- but there really aren't any that are published by the manufacturers of the cables -- he said he didn't think they have the equipment

I have suggested that one measure would be the analogue output line width of a pure digital tone fed into the DAC.

Well there are no standard parameters for that test.  What would you suggest?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

46 minutes ago, esldude said:

Well there are no standard parameters for that test.  What would you suggest?

If I were ever in the business of selling USB cables I would provide measurements that supported the product I were selling. If pure USB conformance then impedance etc -- If I were claiming improvement in phase noise then phase error measurement and DAC output would be another. 

Theres actually a lot more hats been written about this over the last few decades (how to measure that is) more than a wide spectrum FFT

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

So if you've gone to the extent of comparing all the relevant measurements of all the individual components of all the equipment in your signal chain that might affect the analog output, plus the circuit topology of each item of equipment, plus the resulting topology of your system as a whole, I salute you!  :)

Yeah, ok, I'm crazy, but not that crazy :) For me, an objective piece of evidence is also a blind test. I take with a grain of salt all the sighted reports on these forums. When someone says that XYZ 'lifted a veil' or 'reduced noise' or produced 'quieter background'. I tend to discount it. I don't know what that person actually heard or didn't, what veil was lifted, or what noise was reduced. I discount it even more if I don't understand how XYZ is supposed to accomplish what is claimed or if it seems to violate known laws of Physics. 

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

I'd like to see a new thread on this...

1 hour ago, Jud said:

OK, so then where are the vast majority of us, realistically and practically speaking?  Making more or less informed judgments about what ought to affect the sound.  Some of us like to inform ourselves with specs and measurements and audio engineering or  audio engineering-related experience; others of us like to inform ourselves with our ears; still others of us like to do both.  I'm in the latter category, full well realizing the potential for my ears to lead me astray.  But I like music through my system, and I bought stuff used (amp, speakers) or just cheap (DAC) so I didn't spend a fortune.  Overall I'm happy, and maybe that's the measurement to be most concerned with

So, how we inform ourselves regarding the sound quality of our audio systems is, realistically and practically, finally a matter of... taste?  O.o  That is interesting!

4 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

So, how we inform ourselves regarding the sound quality of our audio systems is, realistically and practically, finally a matter of... taste?  O.o  That is interesting!

For me, very simple process. Either the system is manifesting 100% invisible speakers, or it's not. If it is, relax for a bit, and enjoy ... otherwise, there's work to be done ... ^_^

Tempting, but not what I meant, and a little too facile.

I know of several people on the forum who did (and still do) blind tests and measurements of their equipment (often very good equipment, contrary to myth), which demonstrated to them that differences they heard in sighted listening weren’t real.  So their decisions about what to trust are based on their own experiences.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I always lick the capacitors to make sure they're neither bitter nor too sweet. Slightly salty is how they should be for the best sound.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

Tempting, but not what I meant, and a little too facile.

I know of several people on the forum who did (and still do) blind tests and measurements of their equipment (often very good equipment, contrary to myth), which demonstrated to them that differences they heard in sighted listening weren’t real.  So their decisions about what to trust are based on their own experiences.

or it could just be that system B is predominantly picked over system A in blind test, even in the case of no change of hardware....

I would love to see more blind tests where the hardware is not changed, but the listeners are not told that, and do not suspect that is an option...i would guess that most would not say they are the exact same hardware and thus none is better than the other.

11 hours ago, jabbr said:

If I were ever in the business of selling USB cables I would provide measurements that supported the product I were selling. If pure USB conformance then impedance etc -- If I were claiming improvement in phase noise then phase error measurement and DAC output would be another. 

Theres actually a lot more hats been written about this over the last few decades (how to measure that is) more than a wide spectrum FFT

Well instead we get claims of low jitter (which don't pan out that we can tell).  More often than that we get claims of superior USB cable reducing errors.  You always know it is snake oil then as the cheap cables don't have an error problem. I think it goes back to my response to Gordon Rankin.  These guys in these companies are good businessmen, and they know they don't need measures, no testing equipment etc.  It wouldn't enhance the bottom line. I bet they would put your USB cable outfit out of business. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

17 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

...If you are willing to add components to your system that color all sound coming through it with 'lushness', that's completely your choice.

I personally feel Lebouwsky is on the right path and I don't believe lushness is a coloration but correct timbre accuracy, since live music in a good live performance space is very lush.

I want the reproduced sound to be as close and as faithful as possible to what was recorded and produced.

IMHO lush sounding sonically accurate audio equipment is the only chance we have to get close to the real thing. Once I got my system as close to lusciously accurate, with the limited money I had to spend, I discovered  that audiophile and other naturally made recordings were the only ones to reveal these important sonic qualities. Over 99% of recordings, mostly major label recordings, the majority of which are over-engineered and loaded with tons of electronic tricks don't sound like music to me on any system I have ever heard.

If the sound recorded was harsh, that's what I want to hear. If it was lush, then that's what I want.

If you get lushness correct in your audio system, it won't make harsh sounding recordings sound any better. I either sell or trade harsh sounding recordings in or if on my hard drive delete them. Nothing I know can cure harsh sounding recordings. However, if one's equipment is harsh with all recordings then IMHO it is not accurate. Lushness should sound lush. Harshness should sound harsh. 

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa