IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All—

Quick question. @Allo I got an upgraded power supply (Uptone Ultracap LPS) that runs with a male to male dc connector. The included connector is too big for the slot on my USBRIDGE. I would like to run two power supplies. Can you please give me the right size for the dc male to male connector I would use? 2.5 to 2.1? Tried looking at the Allo site but struggling to find the right dimensions. Thank you.  

4 hours ago, Ulises said:

Hi All—

Quick question. @Allo I got an upgraded power supply (Uptone Ultracap LPS) that runs with a male to male dc connector. The included connector is too big for the slot on my USBRIDGE. I would like to run two power supplies. Can you please give me the right size for the dc male to male connector I would use? 2.5 to 2.1? Tried looking at the Allo site but struggling to find the right dimensions. Thank you.  

Hello Ulises. Is this what you are looking for? https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/v5Zk9ocmp5ndgDAeuiBAQ6odgqHXisfvsduRjtlTcX9?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

12 minutes ago, bassivus said:

Hi. Thank you. I found that but what I would like to know is the size of the barrel that goes into the usbridge 5v slot. Perhaps I am obtuse and missing it on the document you sent but I'm unsure which size it is and none of my dc adaptors fit. Thanks. 

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the usb volume control of the mytek Brooklyn DAC with an allo usbridge? I’ve managed to use roon to control the DAC when directly connected to my laptop but when I put the allo in the mix it won’t seem to work, roon keeps reporting that I’ve set it to fixed volume. 

I cant seem to find anything in the allo gui to change to get this working, am I missing something?

18 hours ago, Ulises said:

Hi. Thank you. I found that but what I would like to know is the size of the barrel that goes into the usbridge 5v slot. Perhaps I am obtuse and missing it on the document you sent but I'm unsure which size it is and none of my dc adaptors fit. Thanks. 

image.thumb.png.250748fa9eb6c5c62878639cd1bb9dff.png

USBridge Mating Plug size is 2.5mm x 5.5mm

On LPS using 5.5x2.1 as per website.

so need to use 5.5x2.5 mm female to 5.5x2.1 mm male DC Power Connector Adapter.

image.thumb.png.a091c3e0a21a0cb950f917b4232a3efe.png

Allo.com Tech. Support

Hey guys 

Just a update. 

Got roon to work finally after reading the roon website. Played with hqplayer. Sounds more analog weight. 

A struggle if using jriver on sparky. Overheat 

Also found that sparky and usbridge works better as a network dac adaptor or whatever we call it, and leave the heavy duty work to a pc or laptop due to big library. 

Network wired or wireless provides some isolation thus sound is better. 

A big finding is.. Isolate the SMPS  power supply of the pc from the main audio to minimise cross talk . It does not matter that much. how the computer  laptop "sounds" via network.. Unbelievable. 

On 9/10/2018 at 9:13 PM, Etk said:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the usb volume control of the mytek Brooklyn DAC with an allo usbridge? I’ve managed to use roon to control the DAC when directly connected to my laptop but when I put the allo in the mix it won’t seem to work, roon keeps reporting that I’ve set it to fixed volume. 

I cant seem to find anything in the allo gui to change to get this working, am I missing something?

@ALLOsupport, any ideas?

7 hours ago, Anan said:

Hey guys 

Just a update. 

Got roon to work finally after reading the roon website. Played with hqplayer. Sounds more analog weight. 

A struggle if using jriver on sparky. Overheat 

Also found that sparky and usbridge works better as a network dac adaptor or whatever we call it, and leave the heavy duty work to a pc or laptop due to big library. 

Network wired or wireless provides some isolation thus sound is better. 

A big finding is.. Isolate the SMPS  power supply of the pc from the main audio to minimise cross talk . It does not matter that much. how the computer  laptop "sounds" via network.. Unbelievable. 

How did you isolate the SMPS power supply from the main audio to mnimise cross talk?

On 9/10/2018 at 7:47 AM, Ulises said:

Hi All—

Yes. I belive the connection on the usbridge uses is 5.5mm x 2.5mm.

I tied the Uptone Ultracap LPS but it didn’t provide enough power to keep the Allo USBridge running. The Uptone Ultracap kept overheating. It should work if you use two power supplies though. Best of luck.

6 hours ago, Stings said:

I tied the Uptone Ultracap LPS but it didn’t provide enough power to keep the Allo USBridge running. The Uptone Ultracap kept overheating. It should work if you use two power supplies though. Best of luck.

Yep I am up and running. Thanks for your help all. I'm using the stock power supply for the USBridge to the mini-usb and the used LPS 1 I picked up to the DC connection. I use this setup in my home office where I often stream music 6+ hours a day so I know it pretty well. Rest of the setup is Sugden A21 Signature integrated, Schiit Bifrost Multibit with Gen 5 USB, Proac Tablette 10s, and a refurbished Denon DCD-3300 CD player from 1989. I run Dietpi on my USBridge and use at as a Roon endpoint for Tidal and my cd collection ripped and streamed on a Synonology NAS. My impression after a couple days with the LPS1/ dual power supplies is that it improves depth and drama in the music streamed through the USBridge. Previously, I found the sound of the cd player, either on its own or as a transport, pretty indistinguishable from streaming. Last night, doing my best to volume match, I compared Kid A streaming from Tidal (16/44) vs CD and noticed the bass had a little more slam and depth via the USBridge. The difference is subtle, but I slightly preferred the USBridge version. Very happy with the upgrade.        

7 hours ago, Stings said:

Another experience I have is, if using already a good quality supply above 3a. Not much different if using two supplies, and it could also sound over damped, more tricky to get it right . Or, just use a normal one that comes with allo on the micro usb. And use the good one on the 5.5mm. Personally do prefer a single good big supply. The filter inside allo is already pretty good 

I’ve tried selecting “Device Volume” but every time I do it seems to default back to fixed volume when I try and change the level in the roon app. 

Also, when I connect my Mac directly I get access to the volume max settings, these are not accessible when using the allo which makes me think there’s something not quite right with my set up. 

I just got my USBridge in today and tried to refresh Emmc with SD using the supplied instructions.  Everything was fine until I went to reboot the Sparky with volumio loaded EMMC and now the ethernet lights don't come on so I have no way of accessing the Sparky.

Red and Blue LEDs are on.  Tried USB and DC jacks.  Tried reflashing SD to DietPi.

Can anyone suggest a fix?