IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

2 hours ago, volpone said:

I agree but do you think USBridge would sound better and / or more reliable with "new" kernel ? I'm not sure.

I don't think "that many of the problems encountered are due to the so old version of the kernel" ... 

certainly we do not have the counter-test ... or the possibility to choose;)

the fact remains that patching the kernel (especially so old) to face solve something but create problems from other parts

4 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Please keep it civil.

I think I was civil, I just expressed what I think ...

38 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

certainly we do not have the counter-test ... or the possibility to choose;)

the fact remains that patching the kernel (especially so old) to face solve something but create problems from other parts

Antonello, i agree and i would prefer updated kernel.

However, from my experience, USBridge (DietPi powered) with RoonBridge (Roon) and NAA (HQPlayer) is OK.

I'm playing up to DSD 128 (DoP), good SQ, no reliability issue. I've not tested yet DSD 256 / 512 "native DSD" but reason is limitation on my DAC firmware and not "old" kernel.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

For me both DigiOne and USBRIDGE, bundled with Roon and Tidal completely changed the way I consume music. Perfect, fully transparent digital transports, that bring music from all over the world to my speakers and headphones. Amazing. You cannot ask for more. USBRIDGE is complete solution. Almost plug and play. I treat it like black box, the same way you treat your amplifier.

If you would like to build your own solution based on Sparky then I agree you do care about kernel, drivers, etc. With finished product like USBRIDGE, you should not care. And be happy that Allo team still develops the product by adding new features. 

Hi allo.com

Thank you for your work ...
But I would like to come back to the issue of DSD music.

Not everything in Allo Web Interface is well done.

We can play DSD music in 3 ways:
DSD Native, DoP or resample to PCM.

1. In MPD section when we set "Output Frequency / Bit Depth" to eg. 44100/32
we play music as resample to PCM.
This is not DoP, this is PCM.

To play as Native or DoP we need set "Output Frequency / Bit Depth" as Native.
And now we can choose in /etc/mpd.conf Native or DoP via the entry:
dop    "no" // or "yes"

We need an additional switch to choose between Native or DoP.
This switch has to edit /etc/mpd.conf :
dop    "no"  /  dop    "yes"

2. In Squeezelite is similar, the lack of DoP. We have only Native or resample to PCM (when we sellect "disabled")

a. when we have option examp.  "-D :u32be" we have DSD Native (on some DAC)
(ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -a 4096:1024:32:0 -C 5 -n 'DietPi-Squeezelite' -f /var/log/squeezelite.log -D :u32be)

b. when we have no options "-D" we have resample to PCM
(ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -a 4096:1024:32:0 -C 5 -n 'DietPi-Squeezelite' -f /var/log/squeezelite.log)

c. when we have option "-D" we have DSD DoP
(ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -a 4096:1024:32:0 -C 5 -n 'DietPi-Squeezelite' -f /var/log/squeezelite.log -D)

I think that it is enough to add an option "DoP" in "DSD Native Output", this item is to choose:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -a 4096:1024:32:0 -C 5 -n 'DietPi-Squeezelite' -f /var/log/squeezelite.log -D

bstrgds

PJotr

On 7-2-2018 at 5:50 PM, ambre said:

Hi Rahul  & Pirpiri82,  Many thanks.

I have downloaded the version delivered by Rahul already set the parameters.  Immediately after  start-up  a proper handshake.

Will (re)start this evening a few times to check whether it remains stable. 

Hi Rahul,

Again, problems with handshake from one of the two version 6.1 you delivered which I flashed on two SDXC-micro cards.

Only 44.1 and 48 kHz.  As soon I .....just .....look at the WEB Allo GUI (without saving or altering) things go wrong. 

Started also the EMMC version (without SDXC-microcard in the slot) This including monitor and keyboard... And did the described root and password dietpi entry.

Seems there is a NTPD-problem too ?  It takes very long time for scrolling the several command lines.  Finally it plays music DSD /PCMat  high rate but only once.  When I change a record resp. cd the connecting is lost and doesn't play anymore.

Tomorrow I will receive a mini card reader which allows to have access and flash an EMMC memory card with your latest version.

Ps With  a SDXC card holder isn't possible on a IMac. Ps.  I did not know that the EMMC-card was that easy to disable from the Sparky board.  Ps. Thought it was embedded/fixed memory.:$

Do you when this problem whit the USB setting (check if aotg.aotg1_speed value is set to 0.) is solved ? 

And new version 6.2 will be released  with hopeful  a proper working Allo Web Gui.

Very best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 28/12/2017 at 6:58 PM, Lionmax67 said:

Hi to Anybody - This is my first comment and sorry for my bad English - I've read yesterday evening all the 35 Pages of this Topic and I thank You so much for all the people that wrote on it! 

Now I try to explain my situation in the hope to find an Help : I've an old TEAC DAC and to use it I'm continously forced to connect it with a very long USB (more than 2 m) cable in order to listen to my Digital audio files - Terrible... So I'm trying to find a solution with a Audio Streamer player.

I've read a lot about RSPi3 solution with DAC and recently I've met a solution that is attracting me : PRO-JECT PRE BOX S2 for the DAC + ALLO SPARKY USBRIDGE - My actual doubts refers to the compatibility between them and also about the DSD file compability..

On the other hand I'm also really attracted by the AURALIC ARIES MINI that has surely a less level of DAC but is an easy Plug and Play solution with a stable compatibility with DSD files ...

Please give to me any feedback or suggestion or comments about my doubts - Thank You for any possible help

I wish to answer to my post dated 28/12 because in more than one month and half no one had the good taste to try to give to me an help. Surely the Problem and how it was expressed by myself was not completely in topic but I'm not clearly an expert as most of the partecipants to this topic. However I've finally realized one surely thing that I would never buy an ALLO SPARKY USBRIDGE for many reasons that probably no one of You need to be explained. Thank You to All

Some really strange negative comments above. Are these paid shills, or just people whose cultural norms are unlike my own? From all evidence, the usbridge is an outstanding product and allo an outstanding company with superb customer service. Both appear to be many leagues ahead of anything I'd expect given the price point. I look forward to having my own experience next paycheck, as the cost is nearly impulse purchase level in an otherwise luxury market.

Chromebox>Schiitstack>Ncore 400>KEF LS50

Speaking personally, I have only good things to say about Allo and their support team. I emailed them last week (with my order # and date) asking about a couple small issues including a wi-fi usb dongle I had laying around that I wanted to try with my USBridge. It wasn’t the same model as the one Allo specifies, not even the same chipset manufacturer, but this morning I woke up to a driver for it which installed easily and works without issue. Very impressed! I don’t expect support like that for a <USD$200 product but it was very nice to receive the “above and beyond” treatment. Kudos to Allo!

On 09/02/2018 at 12:37 PM, rahul_kc said:

@volpone

if you know linux commands and you have spare sd card , can flash eMMC without disassembling the box. Little care need to be taken.  refer below document.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/sparky_built-in_emmc_flash_from sd.pdf

Hi @rahul_kc, very interested in your to document on how to update SPARKY eMMC (DietPi V6 from v159) without alu case disassembly.

Could you please guide me towards any Sparky Linux version to be installed on SD card first (step 1 on your doc) ?

Thank's.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

arrived, made only trial operation, dips ...
I think my Sparky has problems ...
the system starts ... but I have no signal on the screen, as if there were no cables connected.

the Lan does not seem to work properly, the lights near the connector turn off for a few seconds (even 3/5) and then start flashing again.
I also have problems with the ssh connection ... even here as if it lost the signal ...

ideas?

ps: for those few seconds I was able to listen to music ... the sound seemed good ... but it loses continuously ... even with mp3 radio

19 hours ago, volpone said:

Hi @rahul_kc, very interested in your to document on how to update SPARKY eMMC (DietPi V6 from v159) without alu case disassembly.

Could you please guide me towards any Sparky Linux version to be installed on SD card first (step 1 on your doc) ?

Thank's.

you can do it from sparky Dietpi image , flash it first to the SD card and boot from the SD card. Then follow the steps.

Allo.com Tech. Support

15 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

arrived, made only trial operation, dips ...
I think my Sparky has problems ...
the system starts ... but I have no signal on the screen, as if there were no cables connected.

the Lan does not seem to work properly, the lights near the connector turn off for a few seconds (even 3/5) and then start flashing again.
I also have problems with the ssh connection ... even here as if it lost the signal ...

ideas?

ps: for those few seconds I was able to listen to music ... the sound seemed good ... but it loses continuously ... even with mp3 radio

Request sent to tech support .

On 13-2-2018 at 12:22 AM, stareIO said:

Speaking personally, I have only good things to say about Allo and their support team. Very impressed! I don’t expect support like that for a <USD$200 product but it was very nice to receive the “above and beyond” treatment. Kudos to Allo!

Hello Allo,

Due to the fact I posted in a wrong subject respectively heading hereby.

First of all, my personal comments concerning the ALLO Sparky UsBridge. It is an amazing top-notch Ethernet & USB Re-clocker for a very good price.  

Today I have connected two SMPS power supplies. (1x IFI-Power and 1x standard Sparky; both with the so-called shunting technique by JSGT = John Swenson Grounding Tweak).  The JSGT trick is responsible for a huge lift in SQ. But connecting 2x SMPS & JSGT gives an additional lift in SQ …. marvelous.

Today I (finally) managed to flash my EMMC-card with the DietPiv6.0 SparkySBC-ARMv7-Stretch.img. Ps. Without the Allo Web Gui.

Installed manual the software for Roon, HQ-player and Netdata. Running now 4 hours running without handshake problems!

Are there problems: Yes, since the update from Version 1.58 / 1.59 to 6.0 IMO a problem with the Allo Web Gui. And USB defaults as soon as you change/alter the Allo Web Gui the default is changed into USB 1.2 instead needed USB 2.0.

This causes that you can only play 44.1 or 48.0 kHz music. Instead preferred DSD128 and/or PCM 352 via Roon & HQ-player.

A “minor” shortcoming in IMO are  Allo & DietPi manuals. For example how to find, disassemble and flash the EMMC-card.

Dietpi & Allo are more or less expecting that you have some knowledge regarding Linux and DietPi commands and structure. The explanations should be more on the level of a real layman. Who only wants to install “ once “ and only wants to listen to music.

I have the fullest confidence that Allo and Fourdee & Team will soon solve these problems.

Best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

@juliocat.Today I have connected two SMPS power supplies. (1x IFI-Power and 1x standard Sparky; both with the so-called shunting technique by JSGT = John Swenson Grounding Tweak). The JSGT trick is responsible for a huge lift in SQ. But connecting 2x SMPS & JSGT gives an additional lift in SQ …. marvelous

Ambre, could you please explain or give more information about the JSGT technique, Thanks

@juliocat

Please have look in the Topic  SMPS and Grounding on CA. Please  in the attached picture .

screenshot_72.jpg

What do people think is the best non-Roon way to stream Tidal using a dedicated music server and USBridge? I have a Tidal HiFi subscription, still on the fence about Roon. I know I can use the Tidal app routed to the default system output (on a Mac), which I can then route to USBridge via Shairport, but my understanding is that this is downsampled/limited to 16/44.1 (and/or compromised in other ways). Is GMrenderer via Audirvana the best way? My situation is: router>music server (Mac)>USBridge>Chord Mojo>JBL LSR305s

On 09/02/2018 at 10:53 AM, volpone said:

Hi, i'm in Europe (France) and Sphinx 2mm heat sink pad you recommend is not currently available.

https://www.amazon.com/SPHINX-100x100x2-Heatsink-Conductive-electronics/dp/B01A9RHAH4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1517568672&sr=8-6&keywords=silicone+heat+sink+pad

Any alternative available to order in Europe with good thermal conductivity  ?
Current thermal "white" pad used in my USBridge "out of the box" is quite good,  temp is only 39/40°C idle with alu case. So, if needed after disassembling SBC to reflash eMMC,  i would like to replace it with equivalent quality pad.

Thank's.

@allo.com , @rahul_kc : Is this pad  http://amzn.eu/aLhpqub  Thermopad 3M (130x20x2) 6W / mK, available in France,  a good choice to replace USBridge alu case heat seals ? Thank's.

Setup details

Guys, I am interested in getting the Allo to see if it sounds better than my current mini pc acting as NAA in my system.  My current problem is that I have a split USB cable with the data and power legs completely separated (Light Harmonic).  Until I get a new USB cable  I have 2 options:

1.  Plug the power leg of the cable into the USB port of the Allo and the data leg into the USBridge

2.  Provide 5vdc power via an external source like an LPS or battery

So if I go with option #1, will I be essentially eliminating the benefits of the USBridge by using the noisy 5vdc from the Allo?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

7 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Guys, I am interested in getting the Allo to see if it sounds better than my current mini pc acting as NAA in my system.  My current problem is that I have a split USB cable with the data and power legs completely separated (Light Harmonic).  Until I get a new USB cable  I have 2 options:

1.  Plug the power leg of the cable into the USB port of the Allo and the data leg into the USBridge

So if I go with option #1, will I be essentially eliminating the benefits of the USBridge by using the noisy 5vdc from the Allo?

IMHO, without having tried it I can only assume that option 1 would be detrimental. Option 2 would be my preferrence. There is another option though. If you have an Audioquest Jitterbug or equivalent lying around you can use this to filter the power coming from the Sparky's USB port lowering the noise floor somewhat. 

I had good results when I used a Jitterbug to filter the power coming from a generic 2.1amp USB power supply so I can't see why this wouldn't work for you and I expect you would get better results as I assume the noise coming from the USB of the Sparky will be relatively lower.

Another issue you might face though is a lack of current. How many PSU's are you planning to use on the USBridge/Sparky. 2 is optimal and should give you enough current to power your DAC too, unless it's supremely power hungry.

1 hour ago, piripiri82 said:

IMHO, without having tried it I can only assume that option 1 would be detrimental. Option 2 would be my preferrence.

I was thinking the same thing.  So in the short term I will use my LPS to supply the 5vdc to the USB cable then eventually get a new USB cable, perhaps the Lush.

I will have plenty of current since I will be using my 400W HDPlex LPS.  Longer term I will get another LPS-1 to power the USBridge.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

19 hours ago, tboooe said:

Not entirely (eliminating benefits) but clean power will be gone..

I would go with option 2

8 hours ago, allo.com said:

Not entirely (eliminating benefits) but clean power will be gone..

I would go with option 2

OK I pulled the trigger on the USBridge.  For now, I will use my HDPlex LPS to supply 5vdc to the Sparky and USB separately.  Maybe I will get one of those LT3045 voltage regulators for the USB 5vdc.  Eventually I get an LPS-1 to power the USBridge separately.  

Pretty excited to try this out compared to my cheapo mini PC acting as NAA.

Other components:

@Daniel Knight

I'm having a problem with a new DAC with Roon playback. My previous DAC - LH Labs Pulse X Infiniti works exactly as expected. I swapped out to a new DAC - Legacy Wavelet and it will only play 16/44 files. If I enable Roon DSP Headroom or play any file greater than 16/44 I get a continuous buzzing noise. If I hook up directly to my laptop using J River and it's DSP everything works fine. I've tried 2 USBridges with the same result. When I switch back to my old DAC, everything works normal again.

Any ideas?