IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

Hello!

My USBridge seems to be faulty.

It drops the speed to only 12 Mbps, instead of 480 Mbps.

Tried with my Parasound Halo Integrated DAC and common USB flash connected to USBridge port.

DAC shows as USB Audio FS device (instead of PARASOUND - Digital Audio) and sample rates became limited to 48 kHz only.

USB flash stick also worked slowly at 12 Mbps.

No such problems if Sparky USB ports are used.

Help me, please, resolve this problem.

I could check USBridge hardware, if someone would advice me how.

Regards, Vlad.

37 minutes ago, PunkRiot said:

I would start with usual suspect:
cat /DietPi/uEnv.txt
and check if aotg.aotg1_speed value is set to 0.

In that case all the Sparky's USB ports will be limited to Full Speed only, which is not true.

I`'m using Volumio, because AlloGUI didn't work with .dsf and .dff files in my case.

Did Volumio has the similar option?

7 hours ago, Lobbster said:

Maybe I'm not understanding your issue. I'm using DSF & DFF on Dietpi using Roon, LMS/Squeezelite and JRiver/GMRenderer. 
For LMS you need to download the proper driver.

JRiver/GMRenderer - didn't work for me, just no sound when playing DSD .dsf

I didn't found option for DSD DoP setting also.

Volumio is no problem with that.

3 minutes ago, sonycman said:

JRiver/GMRenderer - didn't work for me

I'm not home till tomorrow and I'll try again. I primarily use Roon and can't remember the details - but your have to select the 'Dietpi' Player from the left hand column above where you select your source files. Hopefully someone else helps out before then.

Power up sequence with dual power suppies (J28 jumper removed)

Hi,

Just to check, does it matter the sequence of power up for those using dual power suppliers (DC jack on USB bridge and microUSB on Sparky board)  e.g. power up DC jack first then followed by microUSB etc. If the sequence matters, what is recommended delay to power up the second PSU.

Please advise.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Lobbster said:

I'm not home till tomorrow and I'll try again. I primarily use Roon and can't remember the details - but your have to select the 'Dietpi' Player from the left hand column above where you select your source files. Hopefully someone else helps out before then.

JRiver streams .dsf just fine with RPi3 under RuneAudio, MoodeAudio and Volumio as renderers.

Sparky under Volumio fine also.

Only AlloGUI won't work with my DAC.

2 hours ago, sypderman88 said:

does it matter the sequence of power up for those using dual power suppliers

No, order doesn't seem to matter.

I use 1 LPS power supply on both with a split cable. I use Allo GUI to Shutdown, then power off and on together. I used to have 2 power supplies and powered on both ways with no problems.

14 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

I read all the pages, I think that many of the problems encountered are due to the so old version of the kernel .... in the new kernels there are improvements a bit for everything even audio ... a kernel so old is unthinkable!!!

Sparky Kernel is "old" but when using DietPi i think  it is is "patched", especially ALSA native DSD playback support. 

What are your detailed setup and issues encountered ?

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

a patch is just a patch ...
the kernels are also updated for other reasons ... see latency and more ....It is a unique project
you can not get such an old kernel ...

I still have no problems with sparki ... I still have to get there .... but if I had been better informed before ... maybe ...

17 minutes ago, volpone said:

When using DietPi i think SPARKY kernel is "patched", especially ALSA native DSD playback support. 

What is your detailed setup and issues ?

32 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

I read all the pages, I think that many of the problems encountered are due to the so old version of the kernel .... in the new kernels there are improvements a bit for everything even audio ... a kernel so old is unthinkable!!!

sorry for the multiple posts, but I did not understand how to edit a message

Efforts to upgrade the kernel to mainline are already well underway but they depend of the CPU manufacturer not us. I know they are working on it.

12 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

the kernels are also updated for other reasons ... see latency and more ....It is a unique project
you can not get such an old kernel ...

I agree but do you think USBridge would sound better and / or more reliable with "new" kernel ? I'm not sure.

I don't think "that many of the problems encountered are due to the so old version of the kernel" ... 

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

30 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Efforts to upgrade the kernel to mainline are already well underway but they depend of the CPU manufacturer not us. I know they are working on it.

I've never heard that cpu manufacturers release the kernel ... it's a software component that releases and updates the manufacturer of the product (see raspberry...It has the same architecture)

Sorry but you are wrong. Only when the CPU manufacturer gets involved and releases all registries and closed source info , then only upgrading the kernel its possible. They are working on it.

Meanwhile there are other commercial options if you need the latest kernel in a USB reclockcer.

Good luck.

7 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Sorry but you are wrong. Only when the CPU manufacturer gets involved and releases all registries and closed source info , then only upgrading the kernel its possible. They are working on it.

Meanwhile there are other commercial options if you need the latest kernel in a USB reclockcer.

Good luck.

Good luck?

I wish, I never bought sparky usb bridge!

57 minutes ago, allo.com said:

I doubt that I do not accept the skills to update it !!! if it were a souce problem there would not even exist a 3.x kernel (remember that the kernel is open)

good advice

Good luck

long life to the wolf

17 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

I doubt that I do not accept the skills to update it !!! if it were a souce problem there would not even exist a 3.x kernel (remember that the kernel is open)

good advice

long life to the wolf

Anotonello , not sure what else to tell you. Usbridge comes with older kernel . I am advising you that can buy other usb recloakers in the market (like uRendu ) with the latest kernel if thats what you want.

Please keep it civil.