IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

@Mike Pinkerton

ok that is very possible...

that means 22$ was the estimate and actual shipping is 24$

again, if you send me you details ( shipping address), i can check the shipping rates and confirm.

as indicated on our site, we ship from India to the world and from EU to EU.

So its hard for me to further discuss unless i know your full shipping address to confirm.

thanks

On 15/01/2018 at 8:15 PM, Em2016 said:

No problem!

I had this question, which I asked on another forum too.

From the website:

"How about RPI? RPIs are great and very energy efficient, but on USB they have 2 major flaws. First is that bandwidth is shared between the 2 USB ports (so in fact there is only one USB), and second is that ethernet is also shared on same bus! Of course, you also have the noise on USB at about 60mV.

Maybe Sparky? The 2 USB ports (next to the ethernet port) share one input to the CPU (split by a hub). Noise on USB bus is about 27mV (pretty good) and ethernet is completely apart (bus is not shared). So it’s ok, but not great.

So we developed a new board that is connected to the bottom of Sparky. Sparky has 2 independent USB controllers (2 highways), and we connect to the second one. Then we use a new USB IC that reclocks the stream using hi quality NDK Oscillators, and everything is powered by independent LDOs and hi frequency filters. The final noise of the USBridge is lower than the noise of a battery."

What is the final noise of the USBridge, at max power output, like when it needs to provide 5V at nearly 500mA to a DAC that is bus powered?

Many thanks in advance

Hallo allo @allo.com

Is the noise measurement at 5Vdc at 500mA output available? in micro volts, to compare with the noise of a battery?

Or is the measurement still to be done?

And what is the noise of a battery?

Many thanks!

11 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hallo allo @allo.com

Is the noise measurement at 5Vdc at 500mA output available? in micro volts, to compare with the noise of a battery?

Or is the measurement still to be done?

And what is the noise of a battery?

Many thanks!

Measurements in uV require a very elaborated setup. I have asked the team to take it but it will take a while

4 hours ago, allo.com said:

Measurements in uV require a very elaborated setup. I have asked the team to take it but it will take a while

No problem at all!

I thought this was already done (to be able to say output noise is lower than a battery). 

Appreciate the Team’s help.

Hi folks.  I've just updated my Allo/USBridge to the latest release through the web interface, then clicked the reboot button. (Update button changed into showing me the release number before I clicked reboot)

Seems to have completely broken it.  I've attached a monitor and a keyboard to the device and I get the green DietPi logo on the screen.  Keyboard presses do nothing and device no longer showing on the network (I've done an IP scan in "Fing")

I've tried the usual stuff (unplug it, leave it a bit, plug it back in; tried keyboard in the other usb slot) but to no avail.

Any suggestions on how I bring it back to life, please, folks?

Hello

I have just received my USBridge and it is working straight out of the box.

Could you tell me how to proceed to install JRIVER (I do not see it any more in the DietPi Software Selection)

and run Jriver on the Sparky

I have already installed Raspotify and LXDE (as it is requested) and I also saw it an checked it  Jriver in the DietPi Software Selection.

But now it does not appear anymore in the software list. 

JRiver is only present in the dietpi-autostart menu but without any location info

thanks for your help

On 29-12-2017 at 2:45 PM, allo.com said:

Dac has to be powered first. Then you can power your USBridge.

Referring to your reply dated 29 -12-2017.  

Again (daily) connecting problems with Sparky USBridge and HQ-Player (within Roon or as stand-alone  HQ-Player ). Running a Mac mini as Core Roon with HQ-player on the same Mac Mini.   Due to a bad handshake my TEAC start many times with a max. resolution of 44.1 or 48.0 kHz.  

Your proposed  sequence of starting first DAC doesn't always work. I  have to (re)start  UsBridge several times with DAC running .

But  without the required result (= upsampling 44.1 x 128 =DSD).

Sometimes changing the sequence, namely start UsBridge  later than my DAC sometimes help.  And finally I have the right connection but only after a number of attempts. But why .......not previously is unclear? 

This is an unsatisfactory course of events and certainly not user-friendly for me and my family members.

Is it possible to save the correct values of my dac as default? So that I do not have to scan again every time?

Please advice how to improve / solve observed shortcoming.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Got my Alum cases today and did the install. Everything is fine but the MicroUSB power port is set too far back to allow any cable I tried make a solid contact and hold. Since I had the power jumper removed I had to take apart again and put the jumper back.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not a deal breaker, the case is a very nice improvement and I don't have to look at the LEDs flashing anymore.

hi there Lobster and thanks for the feedback.

we have also noticed that the current DC to micro USB adapter cables are a little too big for the case; the plastic head profile is a few mm too big (11mm x 7mm).

the 11mm width is OK, but the 7mm height is 1.5mm too high

we are waiting for new adapter cables and in the meantime, all USBrigdge units and cases will be shipped along with a different cable that fits perfectly.

for those who received their cases already and face this issue, see some simple solutions you can try:

Easy to try:

if you loosen the 4 screws of your case, you will notice that you have about 0.2mm 0.3mm play.

you can align the 3 layers in such way that you get a snug fit.

DIY:

not the best or recommended, but with an X-acto (box cutter) knife, you can shave  1mm to 2mm from the height of the micro USB  plastic head till you get a snug fit. it takes a few seconds.

Final:

We can send you a new cable...

thanks for letting us know if you tried it!

thanks

Andre

Thanks Andre. I'm using a dedicated R-Core LPS with a Ghent split cable for MicroB and DC Plug. It would be a shame to carve this cable. I'd rather dremel the case first, but not sure there's enough upside in audible SQ improvement. Simply using the USBridge with the regular DC Plug on a R-Core LPS is good enough for me. My noise levels are well below my hearing range. YMMV.

@alloaudio:

Hi, i'm using currently USBridge (Allo Web GUI, NAA,  RoonBridge) on DietPi V159 and i'm very happy. Congrats Allo !
DietPi released today a new version 6.0. What is Allo recommendation:

- Stay on V159 (but no more maintenance and automatic update from DietPi) or update to V6.0 ?

- If DietPi 6.0 update is required / recommended what is the procedure to re-flash eMMC ?

Alternatively Is it possible to flash a new SD Card and boot from SD slot and not from eMMC ?

Thank you.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

1 hour ago, volpone said:

DietPi released today a new version 6.0. What is Allo recommendation:

- Stay on V159 (but no more maintenance and automatic update from DietPi) or update to V6.0 ?

The 6.0 version is not released yet but will be in the coming weeks

6.0 version seems to be a new name for the V160 so I do not see why there will be no automatic update or maintenance from DietPi

for the 6.0

21 minutes ago, Facel said:

The 6.0 version is not released yet but will be in the coming weeks

6.0 version seems to be a new name for the V160 so I do not see why there will be no automatic update or maintenance from DietPi

for the 6.0

From https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/master/CHANGELOG.txt:

v6.0 (previously v160)
  (28/01/18)

Important Information:
  All DietPi images have been re-created. Existing installations (v159 or lower), can no longer be updated, or supported. To continue support, users must install the latest v6.0 image.
  - https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1385
  - All images are now Debian Stretch (excluding Odroid's)
  - ARMbian based images are now mainline kernel 4.13+.
  - Native PC (EFI): is now an ISO, with clonezilla bundled. Simplifies installation via Rufus write: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/1171#issuecomment-336522021
  - If you are happy with your existing installation of v159 (or lower), you are not required to install the v6.0 image, however, we cannot continue to provide support for v159 (or lower) installations.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

@allo.com if I place an order in about a week will the unit come with version 160?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Version 6.0 downloaded and this image burnt by means of Etcher ( Tried 2 times ).

DOESN't Work at all on Sparky USBridge .

Ps. Allo Web GUI is also not working. 

Back to V159:x

Please advice

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

8 hours ago, ambre said:

Version 6.0 downloaded and this image burnt by means of Etcher ( Tried 2 times ).

DOESN't Work at all on Sparky USBridge .

Ps. Allo Web GUI is also not working. 

Back to V159:x

Please advice

I downloaded and installed 6.0 no problems on Sparky USBridge.

17 minutes ago, latenz said:

hi

can you explain how to...usbridge flash diets 6.0

with etcher? and where do we get the image 6.0? on the dietpiwebsite the link is not working...

thanks

I got it from here

Unzipped it and burnt the image file to sd card using Etcher. Inserted the SD card into the sparky and booted. Then SSH'd in using putty and setup dietpi as normal.

12 hours ago, ambre said:

DOESN't Work at all on Sparky USBridge . Ps. Allo Web GUI is also not working.  Back to V159:x

Please advice

After 3x times manually  (re)starting  the image installed . Ps.Installed for the first time manually ( after borrowing a wired mouse, key board and monitor with HDMI -input). :(

At first instance installed back V159 (with date 18-01O.o ?) Later-on  succeeded to install V6.0 (updated to 6.1?)

I don't know what are the improvements of V6.0 ? I do  hope more stable in recognizing my DACS ( and preventing to install default setting 44.1 kHz  instead DSD 128 with HQ-player).

PS. Earlier provided Allo WEB GUI still doesn't work. That’s is really pity and IMO a serious shortcoming for the Allo-company to release a new version without the support of the earlier provided Allo WEB GUI including its update function. 

If you want to play in the same league like Sonore, SotM and Roon IMO you need a well-supported WEB Interface what is  an important precondition. Many people prefer to listen to music and are not willing to become a Linux expert.

Last but not least the Allo UsBridge sounds very well and even better with a linear supply.

2 hours ago, Facel said:

did you also installed the allo GUI (after the 6.0 version) ?

DietPi_SparkySBC-armv7-(Stretch)_AlloGUI.7z

That is still version 159 NOT the latest V6.0 

Regards, Andreas

9 hours ago, ambre said:

After 3x times manually  (re)starting  the image installed . Ps.Installed for the first time manually ( after borrowing a wired mouse, key board and monitor with HDMI -input). :(

At first instance installed back V159 (with date 18-01O.o ?) Later-on  succeeded to install V6.0 (updated to 6.1?)

Hi,

Firstly, i'd like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.
We experienced an issue with our DietPi update server which allowed for a v159 > v6.0 update, when run by the user. This was not intended or compatible, and, will render the system with unexpected issues, that can only be resolved by a fresh installation.

Our server has now been resolved and this issue is now prevented.

Solution:
We are working on updating the Allo GUI images to v6.0, and should be released before the end of this week.
In the mean time, if you are eager to use the device with the Allo GUI, the v159 image (http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869) will now function on a fresh installation.

Again, apologies for the issues you have experienced. If further issues occur, please get in touch.