IGNORED

Allo Sparky USBridge

1 hour ago, winzer said:

Hi,

Santa brought an Allo Usbridge :-) !

I connected it to my Denafrips Ares and to ethernet. Updated successfully to 1.59, transferred some audiofiles through samba to Sparky Memory and O!MPD plays them fine... great!

Now i like to play from my Harddisk (external 3,5" Drive with powersupply). I have it connected it to a sparky usb port but when i "update all" in O!MPD, no additional file is found - only the few in internal memory i transferred earlier. Tried an usb-stick too... no success.

What do i have to do to access files on usb-drive?

Best,

winzer

@winzer , you have to manually mount the drive /mnt/  using ssh access.

example : usb drive detected as /dev/sda1

root@DietPi:~# fdisk -l

root@DietPi:~# mkdir /mnt/usb

root@DietPi:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/

then check

Allo.com Tech. Support

thanks rahul_kc!

i am completely new to this... i am afraid i´m missing the basics.

how do i get ssh access? and where can i type these lines?

sorry for my absolute newbie questions...

on my windows laptop i only know how to connect to the GUI 1.59.

is the somewhere a guide to learn the basics?

1 hour ago, winzer said:

thanks rahul_kc!

i am completely new to this... i am afraid i´m missing the basics.

how do i get ssh access? and where can i type these lines?

sorry for my absolute newbie questions...

on my windows laptop i only know how to connect to the GUI 1.59.

is the somewhere a guide to learn the basics?

you can check below links for getting basic idea on SSH access. after login you need to enter the given commands

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/Dietpi_ssh_access.pdf

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9#p9

Allo.com Tech. Support

Hi to Anybody - This is my first comment and sorry for my bad English - I've read yesterday evening all the 35 Pages of this Topic and I thank You so much for all the people that wrote on it! 

Now I try to explain my situation in the hope to find an Help : I've an old TEAC DAC and to use it I'm continously forced to connect it with a very long USB (more than 2 m) cable in order to listen to my Digital audio files - Terrible... So I'm trying to find a solution with a Audio Streamer player.

I've read a lot about RSPi3 solution with DAC and recently I've met a solution that is attracting me : PRO-JECT PRE BOX S2 for the DAC + ALLO SPARKY USBRIDGE - My actual doubts refers to the compatibility between them and also about the DSD file compability..

On the other hand I'm also really attracted by the AURALIC ARIES MINI that has surely a less level of DAC but is an easy Plug and Play solution with a stable compatibility with DSD files ...

Please give to me any feedback or suggestion or comments about my doubts - Thank You for any possible help

On 21-12-2017 at 8:27 PM, ambre said:

Dear Daniel Knight,

On 12 december I haves raised  following question ..but NO reply yet. 

At first instance only running 44khz or 48kHz music files. I have changed by means of Web GUI the DAC settings in MPD and Sharepoint to 352.8 and 24 bits ( wil try 32 later for my Teac UD 501).  After that I am able to play 352.8 PCM or 128 DSD.

Ps. I don't see any kind of relationship /dependency  between these 2 applications and HQ-Player but ..it works!

May be you can  explain in layman's language.

This afternoon again connecting problems with USBrigde and HQ-Player & DAC. What is the correct sequence of startting?

Should USbridge be running before I start resp connect HQ-Player and DAC . IMO is there isn't a correct handshake USBridge or HQ-player is going back to the default settings ( 44k or 48) as set in Audio/Midi setup of my IMac?

Please advice and be so kind to answer earlier raised questions too.

Best regards Andreas

Again problems with connecting see above message from 12-12-2017.

Please be so kind to answer 

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 12/21/2017 at 8:27 PM, ambre said:

Dear Daniel Knight,

On 12 december I haves raised  following question ..but NO reply yet. 

At first instance only running 44khz or 48kHz music files. I have changed by means of Web GUI the DAC settings in MPD and Sharepoint to 352.8 and 24 bits ( wil try 32 later for my Teac UD 501).  After that I am able to play 352.8 PCM or 128 DSD.

Ps. I don't see any kind of relationship /dependency  between these 2 applications and HQ-Player but ..it works!

May be you can  explain in layman's language.

This afternoon again connecting problems with USBrigde and HQ-Player & DAC. What is the correct sequence of startting?

Should USbridge be running before I start resp connect HQ-Player and DAC . IMO is there isn't a correct handshake USBridge or HQ-player is going back to the default settings ( 44k or 48) as set in Audio/Midi setup of my IMac?

Please advice and be so kind to answer earlier raised questions too.

Best regards Andreas

Dac has to be powered first. Then you can power your USBridge.

Hello,

That's a :D fast reply.

Does not work till now. The other way around mostly successful...till this afternoon!

Namely start first  UsbBridge (2 minutes waiting). Than start my Teac DAC and at the same time  the power of my Uptone Regen.

Starting Teac DAC first it only/mostly plays ONLY 48.0 kHz files ( PCM or converts DSD to PCM 48kHz =>standard output format ). 

Wil try this afternoon again  what you suggested.

Another remark and a question:

Via  WEB GUI  it isn't possible to enable Squeezelite at all. Not needed for me..... but found it strange.

My question is it advisable to disable all apps  and only enable NAA HQ-Player functionality?  

Is the UsBridge is than full functioning as NAA for HQ-player?

Ps. At this very moment the UsBridge is functioning again ...strange .... BUT nevertheless it SOUNDS AWESOME:D

In awaiting your reply.

Very best regards, Andreas 

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Hi Allo.com

ok no  answer …

again...

i have a usbridge connected to lks004 with amanero...

roon on a rock —connected to a nas ...

now i have someone serious problems…

1. from time to time usbridge is loosing the network connection...

2. you send me a ethernet —usb adapter...great... and thanks but it is not working...

3. i can not connect to SharePoint (AirPlay) 

4. no native dsd

5. only dsd128 over Dop ...

so its quite disapointing ater 5 month

On 13/12/2017 at 1:38 PM, MrBob said:

Is there a list of USB DACs that are known to work well with the USBrige?

I am think of treating myself to one but it appears from this and other forums that my present dac, Dragonfly Red, has problems with the software.

I currently run LMS/Squeezelite via the Dragonfly plugged into the Rpi3 with an old version of Dietpi (152) and it runs faultlessly. However it will not work at all on a fresh install of Dietpi 159 (luckily I retained the sd card with the older version).

If I am to spring for the Allo bridge, will the software be updated to work well with the Dragonfly or should I consider shopping around for a new dac?

thanks

Hi again, I’ve quoted my unanswered question from 13 December. Does USBridge support Dragonfly Red out of the box or not (if not, will it be fixed)?

Cheers

On 12/31/2017 at 4:24 AM, MrBob said:

Hi again, I’ve quoted my unanswered question from 13 December. Does USBridge support Dragonfly Red out of the box or not (if not, will it be fixed)?

Cheers

Dragonfly works with USBridge on USB 1.1 mode, need to configure the USBridge USB 1.1 mode manually by editing /DietPi/uEnv.txt aotg.aotg1_speed=1

Allo.com Tech. Support

On 12/30/2017 at 9:28 PM, latenz said:

Hi Allo.com

ok no  answer …

again...

i have a usbridge connected to lks004 with amanero...

roon on a rock —connected to a nas ...

now i have someone serious problems…

1. from time to time usbridge is loosing the network connection...

2. you send me a ethernet —usb adapter...great... and thanks but it is not working...

3. i can not connect to SharePoint (AirPlay) 

4. no native dsd

5. only dsd128 over Dop ...

so its quite disapointing ater 5 month

please share your email id , Allo support team will contact you.

Allo.com Tech. Support

5 hours ago, rahul_kc said:

Dragonfly works with USBridge on USB 1.1 mode, need to configure the USBridge USB 1.1 mode manually by editing /DietPi/uEnv.txt aotg.aotg1_speed=1

Thank you for your helpful reply. A suggestion for Allo: perhaps consider making this a configuration option on the GUI interface. 

On 29-12-2017 at 3:20 PM, ambre said:
On 29-12-2017 at 2:45 PM, allo.com said:

Dac has to be powered first. Then you can power your USBridge.

Correct..... works fine NOW  and Sparky UsBridge sounds amazing ...clear and open sound with a big stage. ....via my DAC  ..many thanks. :)

Only 2 question are remaining:   Is it advisable to disable all installed DietPi -apps  and only enable NAA HQ-Player functionality?  

Is the UsBridge is than full functioning as a NAA for HQ-player?

When wil DietPi V160 be released? Because  latest 159V4 needed  a manual install on a SDXC -card.  Only by means of the Allo  Web GUI I can install  latest version on EMMC-card again (=much faster).   Ps.I am not able to mount latest  DietPi version manually on my  EMMC using a IMac and the program Etcher9_9

Very best regards, Andreas 

Please forgive my confusion, but I'm still a little hazy on whether or not I need to use one or two power sources for the Sparky USBridge. The USBridge will be feeding an integrated amp (Nuprime ID-8) via usb input. Are the recommendations for separate power supplies to improve SQ based on necessity or listener preferences?

Hi,

I just received my new USBridge and it seems to be functioning well as a Roon endpoint. My issue is when trying to airplay to the device - the Sharepoint setting disables itself and won't play. I've tried different sample rate settings with no change. Also tried from my iphone and macbook - same results. 1.59 is reported as my version (latest). I'm plugged into a Rega DAC-R. Any help would be appreciated. @allo.com

On 1/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, Kevin Ahern said:

Please forgive my confusion, but I'm still a little hazy on whether or not I need to use one or two power sources for the Sparky USBridge. The USBridge will be feeding an integrated amp (Nuprime ID-8) via usb input. Are the recommendations for separate power supplies to improve SQ based on necessity or listener preferences?

Not sure if there is a definitive answer to this.

There is a lot of user-experience in this thread:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/allo-usbridge-board/27487/132

My choice was to feed the USBridge directly with LPS. No separate supply to the Sparky.

I am getting great results.

For me, the combination is really big step up, in all aspects of sound quality, from my previous setup of Dell Laptop + minimal Linux player.

PS

My LPS is a reasonably price unit from Tomanek

http://www.tomanek.net.pl/

(Modified version of his ULPS MINI - POWER SUPPLY FOR RASPBERRY PI)

17 hours ago, Koomy said:

Not sure if there is a definitive answer to this.

There is a lot of user-experience in this thread:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/allo-usbridge-board/27487/132

My choice was to feed the USBridge directly with LPS. No separate supply to the Sparky.

I am getting great results.

For me, the combination is really big step up, in all aspects of sound quality, from my previous setup of Dell Laptop + minimal Linux player.

PS

My LPS is a reasonably price unit from Tomanek

http://www.tomanek.net.pl/

(Modified version of his ULPS MINI - POWER SUPPLY FOR RASPBERRY PI)

Thank you so much, Koomy. This is very helpful. I'll definitely check out the LPS.

Received and installed the USBridge yesterday as a Roon endpoint. Powered the USBridge with an ifi iPower wall wart I had lying around and, I must say, it sounds fantastic. Had been previously feeding my amp (NuPrime IDA-8) directly from and Mac Mini via USB. Moved the Mac mini to another room and connected the USBridge to the ethernet and amp and fired up Roon without a hitch. Super clean sound, tight bass, and great separation. Fantastic product!