IGNORED

Do they make a hardware device that does this

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

parametric filter ??

i looked on ebay, and the ones i saw had tons of switches..that is not what i am thinking....

i would think just 2 swtiches...one switch to set the low frequency and one siwthc to set the high frequncy...or could be one or two digital switches....so i can just set a "RANGE" like play all music between 500hz and 5khz.

shouldn't need more than one or two switches to do that.

I think you are looking for high and low pass filter. I used one of those known as analoguer with only two knobs . One for low pass and another for high pass.  I think you cannot find similar stuff unless you want to DIY. The other hardware you can look at is http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Loudspeaker-Management-Processors/DCX2496/p/P0B6H . 

11 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

something that has an analog input and an analog output that allows you to specify a frequency "range" to listen to.

example...if i want to hear music between 500hz and 5khz or any other "range" i so desire.

An active 3 way analog XO like this can produce such a mid bandpass region with variable filters on either end (to some limit).

If a digital conversion (ADA) won't create psychogenic drama for you, an even better option is a digital unit like this

Guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

On 6/19/2017 at 5:26 AM, AJ Soundfield said:

An active 3 way analog XO like this can produce such a mid bandpass region with variable filters on either end (to some limit).

If a digital conversion (ADA) won't create psychogenic drama for you, an even better option is a digital unit like this

Guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I called Behringer, and sales rep didn't seem to understand what i wanted to do, but said the unit you suggested wouldn't work...not sure he knew why not since he didnt' seem to know what i meant by selecting a frequency range i wanted to play.  I sent email to the other one miniDSP...thanks for trying...any other ideas from anyone would be great...i would think this would be a very easy device...its just like a crossover for a sub, but instead of saying only things above a low frequency to play, that i want to play only above a certain frequency AND below a different frequency....e.g. i want to play everything from 500hz to 5khz...i want to cut the bottom and the top...

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

I called Behringer, and sales rep didn't seem to understand what i wanted to do, but said the unit you suggested wouldn't work...not sure he knew why not since he didnt' seem to know what i meant by selecting a frequency range i wanted to play. 

:D

In "stereo 3 way" mode (button on back), the "Mid" output can be high passed from 44hz-930hz (so yes, 500hz is possible) and low passed from 440hz-9.3kHz (so yes, 5k is possible). That's a bandpass filter.

With the mindsp, the possibilities are endless, as any frequency between 20hz-20kHz can be selected for a bandpass.

I have many of those.

On 6/18/2017 at 8:46 PM, beerandmusic said:

i looked on ebay, and the ones i saw had tons of switches..that is not what i am thinking....

i would think just 2 swtiches...one switch to set the low frequency and one siwthc to set the high frequncy...or could be one or two digital switches....so i can just set a "RANGE" like play all music between 500hz and 5khz.

shouldn't need more than one or two switches to do that.

If the amount of boost or cut is to be fixed, then you are right, but that's not the purpose of a parametric filter. The purpose is to choose a frequency or range of frequencies to either diminish in volume (in relation to other frequencies) or boost in volume and to control the amount of boost or cut to introduce. What you seem to want is a filter that for all practical purposes eliminates frequencies above and below your chosen passband. I do not believe that such a device exists commercially, though it should be possible to make one using DSP technology in order to filter the out-of-band material very steeply.  

George

On 6/21/2017 at 9:35 AM, beerandmusic said:

the miniDSP responded promptly and it can do what i wanted and tons more and is programmable.

Thanks all!

That is what I was going to suggest, but I got to this too late.  Anyway, it is the perfect toy. I need to find a reason to get one.

10 minutes ago, wgscott said:

That is what I was going to suggest, but I got to this too late.  Anyway, it is the perfect toy. I need to find a reason to get one.

I was surprised what music sounds like through a sub without the regular speakers connected...(discovered by accident).  It surely solidified my belief that you can buy a highend bookshelf and use vintage subs at a small fraction of the towers.  Subs really are not that musical, and even if one wants to argue that they are, you can buy a non-ported 12" Velodyne HGS sub for under $500, which has fabulous ratings, and velodyne themselves told me that the same speaker today would be $3K.  Pairing cheap used quality subs with top dollar bookshelves, you can really put together a dynamic speaker system.  I want the device to really hone in on the midrange for a/b speaker comparisons.  I know the speaker dynamics in totality are what matters, but i want to continue a/b speaker comparisons focusing on midrange regardless.   

Last show i went to i really fell in love with focal sopra 2, but they are a tad bit more than I want to spend, and curious if i could be almost excited about the focal sopra bookshelf with my subs....

Anyway for only $100, seems like a great toy....although i would prefer to find something that i didn't need to plug into a computer that i could just manually set the deseried frequncy range via switches...i found one animal, but still looking....