IGNORED

yggdrasil obsolete and john atkinson

7 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

I can't believe we are rehashing this "only" 21 bit resolution nonsense again. Isn't there something new to argue about?

It's important at all times to have a negative thread about the Yggy running on the site....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 hours ago, vmartell22 said:

well - think I am not explaining myself - lemme try - 

1) from the original quote: 

"high-end delta-sigma DACs achieve as much as 132 dB SNR which is equivalent to 22 bits."

first of all, I am only trying to put it in the context of what JA stated in the original facebook post - he said, "obsolete because 24 > 20" - all I am saying is that by JA's logic, that would be obsolete too

2) What I mean by "actual resolution" is this  - I am keying in the word you used, "equivalent", that is performing as 22 bit device - implication is that it may or many not be. 

Which makes sense - right? delta-sigma devices do not work like that, at least from what I understand.

I am truly only asking to strengthen my understanding, thru the means of confirming or invalidating my opinion of JAs statement

I thought it could be interesting to discuss.

No intention of attacking or defending the yggdrasil; that is not my point. Whether 24 bit is physically possible or not, not part of the discussion... I don't want or need (or care for ) any device to have an internal resolution equal to the accepted inputs! :D

I doubt I could hear it....

v

Me either. It just goes to show how specs can be used to damn one product while using the same specs to boost the reputation of another.

George

23 hours ago, firedog said:

It's important at all times to have a negative thread about the Yggy running on the site....

Will take advantage of this post to kind of round off the thread

1) First of all, not attacking the sound, design, or architecture of the yggdrasil - if anything, the post is a little bit negative about JA. But not too much or offensively so, I hope.

2) In conclusion, and from the posts in this thread, his statement that the chip is obsolete because 24 > 20 is wrong  - he should know better but indeed it looks like he confused the context of each number as it relates to the technology.

3) Wonder what Arnie Krueger thinks about this? :D

v

5 hours ago, alice said:

Who cares, just listen to the music.

That's the spirit.

I got my 12 year old one of these:

Harman_Kardon-2041560891-Go_Speakerphone

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

10 hours ago, alice said:

Who cares, just listen to the music.

hmm - while obviously a reasonable statement - I mean people often accuse audiophiles of listening to the equipment and not the music...

BUT

well - in this context... hmm - after all this is the computer audiophile forum! this is is a technical forum! if we are not gonna discuss this, where? rec.music.classical? progressive ears? all that jazz?  when I want to discuss music I am over there!

this is the spot - and is good to have a back and forth and I did learn - even though I saw attitudes of just wanting to win an unrelated argument... 

v

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Listen to the music, not the equipment.

In theory the better equipment will/should have less "own sound" so one would indeed be able to listen to more of the recording.

Lower-fi means you listen more of the equipment's sonic signature. 

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 hours ago, mansr said:

I know that. Can a guy no longer be silly without using a damn smiley?

It is almost as bad as having to deploy the Winkie of Absolution after every snarky sarcastic remark, when, by convention, a simple period (full stop) should suffice.

On 17/06/2017 at 0:52 PM, jabbr said:

One question that remains unanswered is how many bits are audible? Perhaps >16 and <24.

Now suppose a 16 bit DAC with 12 Gsps rate (Analog Devices has these), at some point do we have a type of 16 bit SDM at 12 Gsps? It is a mistake to look purely at bit depth. No this isn't an obsolete approach by any stretch, in fact Schiit is the first to take advantage of this new generation of DAC chips... watch this space ;) 

16 bits are plenty. I've done experiments, deliberating throwing away bits, and "nothing significant is lost". I have only one recording, by a female opera singer, on a famous label, where I hear digital 'lacking' - at the start of the first track. What's going on here? ... Ripped it, had a look; some "fool" in the mastering did a major stuff up and left very nasty, digital-like noise artifacts - way above the noise floor of the CD ... had the gain structure in his monitoring gear all wrong perhaps at the start, corrected it after some minutes, but left the damage on the plastic, for eternity ... . Everywhere else on the disk, everything's fine.