IGNORED

Switching between two USB sources

My DAC has one female type B USB input socket.  If I were to have two separate USB sources, is there a way of switching between them? I.e. is there a simple gizmo that has two female Type B input sockets that would allow me to switch signals to a Type A output socket, so that either signal could then be sent to the DAC? I couldn't find anything on Google (though I may not have been using the right keywords).

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

42 minutes ago, richard kimber said:

If I were to have two separate USB sources, is there a way of switching between them?

There are lots of A/B (and ABCD) Switch boxes, for just about any type of major connector, including USB.

As a matter of fact, you could also use a USB KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch for just the USB part. And I just might recommend that since the A/B Switch boxes only have a mechanical switch inside, while the KVM is built to interface with two or more PC's, so it may well have circuitry to suppress electrical spikes and garbage that might confuse your DAC or USB controller.

I leave the sorting out of the connector genders to your Google skills  :)

OK Many thanks. I guess I was not using the right keywords >:(

I'm pretty ignorant about the technicalities of USB. Does directionality matter? I.e. can the

single Type A connector on, say:

https://www.startech.com/uk/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/2-Port-Mini-USB-KVM-Kit-with-Cables-and-Audio-Switching~SV211KUSB

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-One-Button-Swapping-Between-Computers/dp/B006Z0Q2SI#Ask

be used as the output socket and the twp Type Bs as input? All the switches I've seen imply that the Type Bs act as output to a PC.

Also, is quality an issue? Are some likely to be better for audio?

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

OK Many thanks. I guess I was not using the right keywords >:(

I'm pretty ignorant about the technicalities of USB. Does directionality matter?

USB hosts have type A connectors, devices type B. Connections always go between a host and a device. Hubs have one device port (connected to the upstream host) and several host ports (connected to the downstream devices).

I'd avoid this one. It's clearly meant for keyboards and mice so might not support USB 2.0.

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-One-Button-Swapping-Between-Computers/dp/B006Z0Q2SI#Ask

be used as the output socket and the twp Type Bs as input? All the switches I've seen imply that the Type Bs act as output to a PC.

This does exactly what you need. Connect the two computers to the type B jacks and the DAC to the type A.

Also, is quality an issue? Are some likely to be better for audio?

Only if you believe in that kind of thing.

5 hours ago, richard kimber said:

Are some likely to be better for audio?

Snarky comments aside, I have never heard of any such, and considering this is such an unusual application, I'm not suprised. I would look for the cheapest KVM that states it supports USB 2.0, just in case it matters.