IGNORED

A/B testing favors B over A

1 hour ago, Teresa said:

I don't read studies, I am more interested in music. I can only relate my nearly 50 years as a music loving audiophile.

Teresa, I don't doubt you hear differences when you do sighted, long-term or even short-term evaluation. This doesn't mean the differences are there.  I've been listening to music for nearly as long as you, but I've also been an engineer and a scientist. In science, an objective approach that eliminates real biases or other errors is critical to any experiment. An experiment that does not account for these will produce wildly varying results that cannot be substantiated by others and will prove nothing.

On the other hand, just stating that something is a bias in an experiment without having (yes, an objective!) evidence to back it up is also insufficient and is not an acceptable scientific practice.

We are arguing on two different levels: you are coming from your own personal experience and I'm arguing from a scientific, objective testing perspective. We are basing our arguments on incompatible principles of how to study the physical world. With that, I suggest that we agree to disagree, as I don't think either one of us will convince the other.

4 hours ago, Teresa said:

In audio when was it ever a good thing?

Since around the 1920's-30's, Bell Labs, etc.

About 30 year after audiophiles though horses could count.

The "Fletcher" in Fletcher-Munson, etc, used to develop (real) audio to this day.

I don't read studies

Yes, that shows in the level of misinformation filling your post.

But even Wikipedia could help. YMMV.

To serious considering of results of either A/B or ABX or any same test need detailed protocols of the measurements:

1. Methodics;

2. List of participants and their skill level;

3. Schemes of measurements and listening room(s);

4. List of used equipment;

5. Thousands of measurements;

6. Etc.

Otherwise, we should remember that other conditions or participants or numbers can give other results.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Don't conflate A/B testing with short-term testing

Yeah. Unfortunately A/B testing might mean, to many people, what salespeople do on listening rooms. There seems, unfortunately, a preconception that there is only one way to compare two things.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, WMW said:

Ultimately, I offer the following observation:  Shopping for  quality TV's (they're all pretty damn good actually) in an appliance store, it's easy to compare picture differences and besides price and size this becomes the focus in product selection.  At home that new TV's resolution, brightness, color accuracy, contrast, etc., matters FAR LESS than what that TV is playing.  Put another way, a great song on a good system trumps a great system playing a good song.

Ummm - what I feel you've left out there is that at home one can tweak the settings of all the TV's controls to optimise the picture quality, for the particular set. And, that's exactly what I have done with our now somewhat outdated LCD flat screen - years ago, I spent days fine tuning all the colour controls, those magic behind the scenes adjusters, until it gave the best possible results. And it has always been worth it - even the most tedious rubbish looks good! The visual "punch" occurs not because the colours have been hyped, but because they always feel right, on every broadcast - hyped colour that the channels add for show previews is obviously such, and nature docos are fabulous.

Which means I have zero new set envy - I go into a store now, and the huge size, and showroom demo mode don't do a thing for me - they look 'wrong', and would be irritating to view, as is.

And that's exactly how I approach sound reproduction - get it 'right', and everything else falls into place ...

Dear fas42,

Perhaps I should clarify:  When shopping/comparing TV's (or audio components/systems) the focus is on evaluating DIFFERENCE(S) which are frequently subtle. Ultimately, the enjoyment of the TV (or sound system) is predicated on WHAT the TV (or sound system) is playing.  I still have analog TV's (long story).  When viewing excellent, involving programming (e.g. The Godfather), I'm lost in the programming and never, ever think "This really needs more resolution!".  As I scribe this seems a ridiculous, obvious point.  Doesn't 'audiophilia' take quality content as a given and seek to discover equipment/technology which most faithfully recreates this content? (The question is rhetorical).  IMO the technology/equipment is and has been pretty darn good for some time.  Great audio or video enjoyment can be had without breaking the bank to be sure.  And to your point fine tuning components to your environment can enhance the enjoyment which will ultimately be maximal once differentiation is forgotten and content is the focus.

IMO true A/B testing in audio is possible, but very difficult to achieve (read "Costly!").  Perhaps there isn't enough profit to spark rigorous experimental conditions.  But "Take it home and try it!" testing reminds me of the "Series of one." in clinical medicine which means a clinician had a single experience with a patient, drug  or clinical event and this forever influences practice.  

In my experience when reasonable, intelligent people line up on opposite sides of a question it's because both sides are partially correct , the question is improperly phrased/irrelevant or all the above.

You say "colour"; I say "color".  I'm not arguing with you at all as I agree with your post as it stands, just not as it relates to my previous post.

Cheers and thanks!

Bill Walker